Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Problems with accessing installed programs

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Problems with accessing installed programs

Postby nixnine » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:01 pm

I have encountered a problem which I cannot seem to resolve. I have gone through countless forums looking for similar problems which I am sure others have had. I just cannot see the forest for the trees, so please forgive the question. Here goes:

I have downloaded various programs and opened with GDebi Package installer. It seems to be installing the program. Upon completion, i look for the program to start it. Wink, for example, shows up the Sounds And Video menu. I click and nothing happens though. And this is occurring a lot. I click on a supposedly installed program and nothing happens. I search Synaptic and it shows its installed. Am having a blonde moment (no insult intended) and just cannot grasp what I need to do to get these programs to work. I have tried commands in terminal, I have reinstalled, apt-get, synaptic. Istanbul, among several others, does the same. It shows up in the menu, yet does nothing when I click.

I also installed povray. It doesn't even show up in the menu. Yet Synaptic tells me it's there. Can someone enlighten me a bit?

Thanks
Dell Inspiron 1545
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
250 Gig Hd
3 Gig Ram
Dual Boot Ultimate Edition 2.5 (for me) and Windows Vista (the wife)
nixnine
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Problems with accessing installed programs

Postby Admin-Amir » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Hello nixnine.

well the problem is for real with the Wink, off from the Repo!!!
This is the reason way it is not working for you.
There is NO support at this time in the software ,
so you will have to try it After the adding back to the Repo.
and yes it will not work without support on the repo.
Admin-Amir

Re: Problems with accessing installed programs

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:33 pm

nixnine wrote:I also installed povray. It doesn't even show up in the menu. Yet Synaptic tells me it's there. Can someone enlighten me a bit?

Thanks

The info from synaptic says it's a command line application
POV-Ray by itself is a command-line utility that will take scene
descriptions, written in a special easy-to-understand language, to
produce ray-traced images (or even a sequence of images, for animations).
You can either write those scene-descriptions by hand, or use external
tools to generate (parts of) the scene.

povray-includes is highly recommended in addition to this package.

So you would have to start it in a terminal
Applications > Accessories > Terminal
and type in
Code: Select all
povray
and hit Enter

Istanbul starts you just don't know where it is once it starts is all.
In the top panel there will be a red dot (that's it) Mouse over it and it will give you options see screenshot it' the red dot on the left.
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (4.58 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Newbie's Corner