Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Noob Questions

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Re: Noob Questions

Postby eldonkr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Still here in case anybody has any advice.
eldonkr
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Moebius » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:55 pm

eldonkr wrote:why go through all the poking about when I could just do step 3 and fix it?

Because it is the proper way to do it and may also give you a heads-up as to what the issue was in the first place. This may help later if the problem reappears. If it is installed correctly then there is no need to reinstall and we look elsewhere for the issue. ;)
eldonkr wrote:I just did an update and it uninstalled Pidgin. I tried using Add/Remove to get it back, but it tells me to use Synaptics, but I can't get it to install again using Synaptics either.

Also, I just noticed that the update also uninstalled Transmission and won't let me reinstall that either. What kind of update takes out two of my most used programs?

More than likely a library file of sorts that may have a compatibility issue with the ones used by Pidgin and Transmission - hence in order to install whatever it was in the update, it had to remove Pidgin and Transmission. It would have told you that before you told it to proceed. If you are like most people, you probably hit the update button without even noticing what was going to be removed. You must be careful with all updates. Ideally, the best thing to do would be to avoid updates all together unless you are having some kind of issue.

Now when you say Pidgin and Transmission will not reinstall again through Synaptic - what error message are you getting? What point do you reach?
I know its a pain, but give us as much information as you can. What you may think is useless info may well be the info we need to help you. :)
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby eldonkr » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:21 am

I don't remember the exact error messages, but when I went into synaptics it would tell me that it needed other things to be installed for it to work properly but it wasn't going to install them unless I told it to and then it would stop.

So I'd tell it to install the things it was dependent on but it would then tell me that those two packages were dependent upon the program I wanted to install and it wouldn't install them unless I installed the original program first I.E. Pidgin/Transmission.

It would go thus:

"Synaptics knows you want to install Pidgin/Transmission but it needs Thing A and Thing B, but we won't install those unless you tell us to."

And then I'd go to mark Thing A or B for installation and it would tell me:

"I can't install this without Pidgin/Transmission."

Not in those exact words of course.
eldonkr
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby eldonkr » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:45 am

Anyone out there who can help? I can't get those programs installed back on and they won't and my the programs I'm using in place of them aren't working.
eldonkr
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby DarkChild » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:06 am

If you running x64 of 2.3, use the link below to get Firefox 3.5.5. Its a deb file that I've uploaded for easy installation + is comes with adobe flash pre-installed!!

http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=4224&p=46705&hilit=firefox#p46705

If it won't cause any big problem, it would be good idea to do a clean installation and start from scratch.
CPU Type: TripleCore AMD Athlon II X3 440, 2982 MHz (15 x 199)
Motherboard: ECS GF8200A (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce 8200, AMD K10
System Memory: 6GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Video Adapter: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4350 1GB
Audio Adapter: ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV710/730/740 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP78 - High Definition Audio Controller
1 WD Caviar Green 1TB HD SATA
2 Sata Local Disk: 250GB/200GB
2 IDE HD: 80GB
Hanns.G 22" Wide Screen Monitor
Speakers: Logitech LS21 7 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System
ENCORE 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
LG CD/DVD Writer 22X
BIOS Type: AMI (05/19/09)

DarkChild
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby eldonkr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:50 pm

I've got the firefox problems solved. I need to know how I can get back GIMP, Transmission, and Pidgin. I've got an update that looks like it's going to put Pidgin back. I'll try to install the other programs again and grab a screenshot of the error message that it throws up when I try to install them.
eldonkr
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby eldonkr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:43 pm

I just did the update and it didn't bring back any of the programs. I went into synaptics and tried to install pidgin, I took screen shots of the error messages displayed.
Attachments
screenshot_004.png
screenshot_005.png
eldonkr
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby DarkChild » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:02 am

Go to the provided link below and search for the different applications that you want and install them. The site does automatic installation so it should build the dependency list for the different apps!!

http://www.getdeb.net/updates/ubuntu/9.10/
CPU Type: TripleCore AMD Athlon II X3 440, 2982 MHz (15 x 199)
Motherboard: ECS GF8200A (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce 8200, AMD K10
System Memory: 6GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Video Adapter: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4350 1GB
Audio Adapter: ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV710/730/740 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP78 - High Definition Audio Controller
1 WD Caviar Green 1TB HD SATA
2 Sata Local Disk: 250GB/200GB
2 IDE HD: 80GB
Hanns.G 22" Wide Screen Monitor
Speakers: Logitech LS21 7 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System
ENCORE 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
LG CD/DVD Writer 22X
BIOS Type: AMI (05/19/09)

DarkChild
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby eldonkr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:53 pm

Yeah, I just tried that. I installed pidgin from getdeb, it won't let me install it in the update manager.

Is there a way that I can just roll back the last two updates or something? This laptop was working perfectly fine before those two updates.
eldonkr
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby eldonkr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Why does my machine keep eating itself?
Attachments
screenshot_008.png
eldonkr
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable