Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Qnap NAS and Thunderbird

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Qnap NAS and Thunderbird

Postby Metal Mick » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:45 am

Recently I decided Vista was just too painful on my laptop, and I replaced the hard drive and put on Ultimate Edition 2.4 64-bit.

I have a Qnap nas, and there I have all my Thunderbird files - inbox, and so forth - and I have no difficulty with nautilus file manager locating the drive nor navigating its folders. I keep my email on the nas so I can use either my laptop or my desktop (Win XP) to work, as the mood takes me.

However, when I try to create an account and set my local directories in T'bird, I cannot find a trace of the nas after I click the browse button.

Under win XP T'bird has no issue with finding or seeing the nas, which is formatted as an ext3 drive.

What do I need to do to permit t'bird in Ultimate Edition to "see" the nas drive?

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Qnap NAS and Thunderbird

Postby Moebius » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:07 pm

Metal Mick wrote:Recently I decided Vista was just too painful on my laptop, and I replaced the hard drive and put on Ultimate Edition 2.4 64-bit.

I have a Qnap nas, and there I have all my Thunderbird files - inbox, and so forth - and I have no difficulty with nautilus file manager locating the drive nor navigating its folders. I keep my email on the nas so I can use either my laptop or my desktop (Win XP) to work, as the mood takes me.

However, when I try to create an account and set my local directories in T'bird, I cannot find a trace of the nas after I click the browse button.

Under win XP T'bird has no issue with finding or seeing the nas, which is formatted as an ext3 drive.

What do I need to do to permit t'bird in Ultimate Edition to "see" the nas drive?

Cheers,

Michael P

Hi Michael,
If your NAS is auto mounting in Ultimate Edition , then try the following.
Navigate to your Home folder (Places->Home Folder)
Press Ctrl-H to show hidden directories
Navigate to a folder called .mozilla-thunderbird.
Here you will find a file called profiles.ini. Double click the file to open it with an editor. Here you need to change the 'Path=' entry to reflect the location of your profile on the NAS drive. I have not used this method before, instead used Symbolic Links to share my emails etc.. between Windows and Ultimate Edition - I just can't find the relevant instructions at the moment. Try the above and if you get no joy, I'll keep looking.

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Postby Metal Mick » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:39 am

Hi Moebius,

thanks very much for your suggestion - I do appreciate you taking the time.

I tried your suggestion and found it did not work, and for some reason I kept getting a message that Thunderbird is already running when I tried to fire it up. I was then advised to reboot my system, which I duly did and found I was in a loop that yielded identical results each time I tried to launch T'bird.

I have manually mounted the nas directory, and then tried other applications - Amarok and VLC spring to mind - but opening the "add directory/file" dialog does not show the nas as an option.

My reading is that I need to mount the drive or directory in some manner in order for T'bird and the others to access it. However, I lack the knowledge to do this.

Regards,

Michael P

NB: while I think of it, I find Ultimate Edition to be a terrific flavor of linux, and I offer my congratulations to all involved on a wonderful project.
Metal Mick
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Moebius » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:41 am

Metal Mick wrote:My reading is that I need to mount the drive or directory in some manner in order for T'bird and the others to access it. However, I lack the knowledge to do this.

Try this link:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6&sid=ac10fd7ce64da83fb9a375817f363540#p4238

Let us know how it goes. ;)
GNOME 3.2.1
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
LG Super Multi DVDRW

Moebius
Site Admin

Postby Metal Mick » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:33 am

Hi Moebius et al,

the link proved similar to one on the Ubuntu forums, but without, I think, the extra 13 pages.

Because there were differences in the how-to (and I learnt years ago how pedantic computers can be with syntax), I edited my fstab file to suit the instructions and it worked like a charm, more or less. In Terminal, I got the somewhat baffling message "mount point none does not exist", but the nas mounted anyway and on reboot mounted automatically.

I would like to clear up the message, but it is not overly concerning for me.

When I did a restart, the system proved a bit sluggish, with a couple of error messages on shutdown:

CIFS VFS: server not responding
CIFS VFS: no response for cmd 50 in ...

Other than that, everything is working well, and I am able to access my emails in Ultimate Edition without problem.

Many thanks for your help.

Goodnight from sunny Australia!

Michael P
Metal Mick
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Moebius » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:03 am

Metal Mick wrote:Goodnight from sunny Australia!

Michael P

You're obviously not from Tassie then....
Thats O.K. you Mainlanders will catch up one day :lol:

If you can't resolve the new error message, start up a new topic with a relevant subject description and we'll see if someone can shed some light for you. ;)

Cheers Big Ears.
GNOME 3.2.1
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
LG Super Multi DVDRW

Moebius
Site Admin

Postby Metal Mick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi Moebius, et al,

my machine is shutting down and rebooting without trouble, although the second of the error messages I mentioned on shutdown refers to slightly different addresses each time as far as I can tell. Overall, about 10-15 seconds is added to shutdown while my machine gathers its thoughts. If it continues to bother me, I will start a new thread.

Question: I placed a similar posting on the official Ubuntu forums and got no answer. Would the moderators mind if I finished-off my thread with the link you provided - it is far more easy to work with than the 14 or so pages on their site?

My apologies for not reading your location, Moebius. No slight was intended, I just assumed you were based across the Pacific. I had the great pleasure to holiday in Launceston (again) a little under a year ago. It truly is a wonderful place to live. I will return soon, I hope.

Regards,

Michael P
Metal Mick
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Moebius » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:34 pm

Hi again,
No problems in sharing the knowledge but would be nice if you credited the original poster for his/her work. ;)
No slight taken - both heads didn't take offence. :lol:

Never know, might bump into you one day in downtown Lonnie. ;)

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
LG Super Multi DVDRW