Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

linux alternatives to "other" os' software

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

linux alternatives to "other" os' software

Postby Driver » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:47 am

I think this post goes here as (1) I am a newbie :lol: and (2) other newbies and prospective newbies might have questions about replacing the software that they used in M$ Windows with comparable (or better) linux alternatives. MODERATORS: If this is not the correct forum, please move (thanks).

When I was recently trying to get my Vista partitions back after I screwed things up, someone asked me why I wanted to keep it. Other than the "security blanket" aspect of having an alternate OS that should still be there even if I screw up my linux one, I was thinking of "all" of the Windows applications that I used. Well, I just did a quick check on the laptop (there are others on the desktop but UPGRADING its OS from XP to linux is for another time) and it turns out that there are only a few things installed on it. Many of them are already taken care of by the many applications that were automatically installed by UE2.3(!) but there are a few that I am not sure about:

RainbowSoft's Study Bible Ver. 4.0 - this is pretty complete for cheap Bible software and includes several other reference works. (And its illustrated.)

Avanquest Software's Ringtone Media Studio - Creates ringtones for cell phones.

Sony Ericsson's DRM Packager - Another tool for creating things to be placed on cell phones.

Juice Podcast Client - They don't have a linux version but recommend Podnova Client and Icepodder. Are either of these good? Or alteratives?

It looks like there are plenty of tools for ripping/burning CDs and DVDs for backup and general use on my computer setup. Are there tools to rip protected content?

Occasionally I need to edit video or convert it from one format to another - such as when I wish to record something with a satellite receiver and convert/store/play it on my computer. Are there good tools for doing this in linux?

My "ancient" Palm M125 PDA is set up with MobilePocket and I often read MobilePocket eBooks on my computer so as to only require one version of them. Is there reader software for this eBook format?

I also use M$'s own .LIT eBook reader for eBooks in their format. I know that they don't offer a version for linux - or my Palm - because of their predatory commercial nature. Is there a reader that will work?

This one is probably a longshot: An application to program, control, and record from my Uniden BC296 radio scanner?

Can anyone offer linux alternatives for any of the above?

Perhaps others have been in my position - with other pieces of software - and have found viable alternatives. If so, I would not mind if they added their lists to my thread; while it wouldn't directly help me, it could well be the deciding factor for someone that is thinking of trying linux if they see an application that they use routinely - and a good linux alternative.

Thanks in advance,
Driver
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Re: linux alternatives to "other" os' software

Postby Cell » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 pm

The odds are not good that one will find another using the same apps as your self.So you might get better results with a question like this one if you search with google.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby JOHNNYG » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi cell is right, a Google search for Linux alternatives to your makeusoft programs is more than likely your best bet ! That and if you goto add and remove programs and scower them (as I have ) you might find other alternatives, There are a couple of bible app's, one is bible time, (I think is the name), And besides that, I am sure you will find some very interesting programs to play with ! :D And I find , That is one of the best ways to familiarize yourself with applications and programs that are readily available, It is a very extensive list, Take it one category at a time, And go over it item by item, As the names may be misleading, Good luck ! :D
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby stlsaint » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:23 pm

my good man i think that you are underestimating the great OS that you have so smartly choosen to use...i too have UE2,3 and it has EVERYTHING i need already installed...check out the sound/video section for all the stuff you listed for that category...its there! and as far as bible study software i recommend e-sword! i use it in ubuntu Christian edition and it is wonderful. Also check the repos for stuff before you turn to using wine to use M$ programs. now there are a FEW...a FEW things on your list that you may need to search else where for but these moderators and site admin no better than i do whats in here so do take Cell's advice and search but be sure and exhaust all options within Ultimate Edition itself before doing so!!
stlsaint

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Newbie's Corner