Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Update Manager/Repo problem

Ultimate Edition Software Repository

Re: Update Manager/Repo problem

Postby csc2ya » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. Completely skipped my mind that I could just untick it...lol.

Have done so now, and am no longer getting the error.
Craig Turner
Computing Support Centre Administrator
System Status
Laptop
Server
csc2ya
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT

Postby csc2ya » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:15 pm

pch.shot wrote:'It was said in an earlier post that 'it's not like windows'. If the windows update servers were down for this long, there would be computers getting compromised right left and centre.'
I guess Windows has you brainwashed into thinking that updating is the answer to everything. When I install XP I don't do any updates. I put up a real firewall, anti virus, turn off automatic updates, security center,firewall,system restore and page filing.
If you want to get rid of the update icon create your own taskbar. I did.
Go to a terminal and type sudo ufw enable and your computer will never be compromised. It will close all the ports to your computer. You can't do that with Windows. There are no viruses in Linux, that's why most of the servers in the world are not Windows!!!!!

Firstly, whether or not it is your intention, please do not shout at me (the exclamation marks make it appear that way) It was simply an observation, not a rant as it may have appeared.

Secondly, windows does not have me brainwashed into thinking that updating is the answer to everything. Quite the opposite in fact. I run a home server on my old laptop using Windows Server, which hasn't been updated for over 3 months, has no firewall apart from my router, and also no anti-virus software on it, and that has had very few problems. However, if someone was just starting out with computers, did no updates at all, and downloaded things without thinking as most new computer users will do, it is likely that it would be compromised eventually.

Thirdly, there are viruses in linux. There are just not as many due to most virus writers concentrating on windows due to the majority of pc's you can buy from a shop being preloaded with it. Have you not heard of the lion worm? (Yes, I know that's technically a worm rather than a virus, but it's just for illustration purposes). The difference between windows and linux in that respect is that in linux, the user would have to have an active part in infecting the system in most cases (unless they ran as root which everyone knows is not a good idea).
Craig Turner
System Status
Laptop
Server
csc2ya
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby pch.shot » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:28 pm

'Thirdly, there are viruses in linux.'
O.K. Give me a list. How many. When were they acitve? As far as I know there have been 10 since Linux started. I'm not shouting at you. I just get sick and tired of people complaining about things that are so easy to fix. Keep in mind this operating system does not cost you a cent, so stop complaining about free and fix things yourself or come here and ask how to(it's as simple as that)!!!!!!
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby csc2ya » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:15 pm

I'm not complaining about it being free. It was just the fact that it was speculated that the repo would be back online by the time 2.1 was released, and it has been two months since then. However, I would imagine that Theeman is the only person that's getting the repo sorted out, and so I understand that it will take a while for him to do that.

What i said was merely an observation.

I cannot give you a list of viruses, as I do not know. As I have said, the only one I can think right now is the lion worm, which isn't a virus, it's a worm.

I am also quite capable of fixing things myself, however, when it is a problem caused by a repository being down, that is obviously something that I cannot fix myself.

Indeed, most things, I try to fix myself before asking anyone for assistance (as that way I learn more and more about the OS)

10 years ago, I didn't know the first thing about linux. However since then, I have maintained numerous linux machines running different distributions of linux, from centos to ubuntu, and even gentoo, and am still learning more and more all the time, the same as everyone else. (I'm not bragging here, i'm merely providing a bit of my own background)

Ultimate Edition is an amazing creation, and the same as everyone else that uses it, I appreciate the hard work that Theeman and all the other people that work on it put into it.
Craig Turner
System Status
Laptop
Server
csc2ya
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Uffe » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:27 pm

pch.shot wrote:'Thirdly, there are viruses in linux.'
O.K. Give me a list. How many. When were they acitve? As far as I know there have been 10 since Linux started. I'm not shouting at you. I just get sick and tired of people complaining about things that are so easy to fix. Keep in mind this operating system does not cost you a cent, so stop complaining about free and fix things yourself or come here and ask how to(it's as simple as that)!!!!!!

Out of curiosity I googled "lion worm" and found a lot of very old pages - most from 2001 - but, among all those hits there were a Danish web-page from an IT-support firm called eSikker (eSafe) who offers a test - if you're ready to pay for it - for a lot of linux safety issues.

http://esikker.dk/

The question is: Is it a real tread - or just another way earning money? ( It seems to be mainly Fedora with HIGH priority issues )

IF it's real - then why isn't there a bigger focus on the subject around Linux forums ?
(maybe that in it self is the answer) ;)
Uffe

Ubuntu minimal w/ Mate desktop 64bit
Asrock N68-GE3 UCC - AMD X4 640 - 4 Gb Kingston ram
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 60 Gb + 500 Gb WD sATA HD

Ultimate Edition 2.9 64bit
Asrock 2core 1333-2.66G - 2 Gb Kingston ram
750 Gb Samsung WD sATA HD
Plextor DVD-RW - Asus 24" fladskærm

If your Danish, try http://www.linux-abc.dk to share your knowledge and questions
Uffe

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby kyriakos » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43 am

Nick wrote:FYI Another of Nick's copy/paste jobs ;)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/

Very nice info! was searching for something like this that explains the differences of windows and linux world and its security so i can make my friends to switch to linux world too!!!

Thanks
but is this a bit outdated? maybe now that u just hit a deb button and in 1 minute u have the program up and running virus and worms can easily spread like deb files or if the worm gets in the repossitories? i just hit update and i update the system and i dont really know all these files that are updated every time as every week are so many the updates in the linux world!!!
kyriakos
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby stanca » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:28 am

For the moment the worse virus(worm in fact) can't do very much in a linux system, only deleting unnecessary files at most.It can be a problem only when you dual-boot with windows because in this way it can affect your windows system(ntfs partitions).
But for your peace you can install an antivirus and firewall in linux too.I use clamav and firestarter,both of them are in the repos. <BREW>
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby pch.shot » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:16 am

Try typing this in a terminal: sudo ufw enable. Now all your ports are closed until you open one.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby csc2ya » Fri May 08, 2009 6:57 pm

A follow on from this. I've noticed the repository is currently suspended by the host by the looks of things, judging by the page it tries to redirect to for repoubuntusoftware.info.

In addition, i've seen in another post that Theeman is taking a break from ultimate edition until june.

Does this mean that we'll have no working repository for ultimate edition until then?

While, as has been said, it's not as much of a problem as it would be on windows if the windows update servers went down, i'm still highly concerned about having to either:

a) break my system by using other repositories
or
b) do no updates until they come online again, and possibly end up with a compromised system.

I do have my ssh port open so that I can access my system remotely if needed, and it is as secure as I can make it without potentially locking myself out, but as I never know which ip i'll be connecting from, I am unable to restrict access to just my ip, hence my concern.
Craig Turner
System Status
Laptop
Server
csc2ya
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby drama » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:36 am

csc2ya wrote:I do have my ssh port open so that I can access my system remotely if needed, and it is as secure as I can make it without potentially locking myself out, but as I never know which ip i'll be connecting from, I am unable to restrict access to just my ip, hence my concern.

I assume this is due to having a dynamic ip? Would it be possible to restrict my hostname? If both of the above statements are true maybe a service like dyndns would be useful to you.

http://www.dyndns.com/

Even lets you choose your hostname ( i use enviouz.webhop.org).

List of update clients (so you dont have to go to the website periodically to update the ip address associated with the hostname)

http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

Service has many uses. Some people use it to run a website from home when they have no static ip. I personally use it so i can have access to my torrent box (use rtorrent with wtorrent for webui) through webui (just enter the hostname and path to the index.php in firefox) even when im away from home.
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master