Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Update Manager/Repo problem

Ultimate Edition Software Repository

Re: Update Manager/Repo problem

Postby csc2ya » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:53 am

I'm already using no-ip.org, and have my router set to update my ip with them every time it changes.

It's not knowing my home ip that's the problem.

It's that if i'm connecting from a machine in another location, I never know which ip i'll be connecting from, so as I say, I cannot restrict access to just a certain range of ip's.
Craig Turner
Computing Support Centre Administrator
System Status
Laptop
Server
csc2ya
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT

Postby drama » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:50 pm

csc2ya wrote:I'm already using no-ip.org, and have my router set to update my ip with them every time it changes.

It's not knowing my home ip that's the problem.

It's that if i'm connecting from a machine in another location, I never know which ip i'll be connecting from, so as I say, I cannot restrict access to just a certain range of ip's.

Ok i understand what your saying now. Connecting from internet cafe, a friends house, wireless hotspot, the parents place, ect ect. That does change the whole approach.

I did spot an app the other day while searching google for something totally unrelated though. Basically it runs on the same pc that the ssh server runs from. Basically what it does is bans any ip that tries to make a connection through ssh but fails (an example would be wrong password). You can seen the ban length as well as the trigger (how many failed attempts it allows before it issues a ban). If i manage to come across it again ill let you know. I cant for the life of me remember what it was called or what i was even searching for at the time.

Edit:

I found it. Its called "fail2ban"

http://www.howtoforge.com/fail2ban_debian_etch

That howto is for debian etch. But it should also apply to ubuntu and i imagine any distro.

May also provide some extra security to change the default ssh port.

Then to connect use

Code: Select all
ssh USER@IP -p PORT

In due time any port scanning bots are likely to find it again so this is trivial.

This may also be of interest to you

http://www.cipherdyne.com/psad/

Its a portscan detector. However i cant say if it works or even how well as i have no experience with it. Just passing the info along.
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:58 am

Gentlemen a new repo is on the horizon, why not where it was? A new hosting company, perhaps they mean unlimited. It will not be common knowledge until fully tested. It may be in Ultimate Edition 2.3 & Ultamatix -7, please sit tight as I & testers work kinks out. The real test will be when unleashed as far as "unlimited". Terabytes at a time ;)
Attachments
sources.png
sources
keys.png
Gpg keys as well...
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby slingshotsuicide » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:37 pm

csc2ya wrote:I do have my ssh port open so that I can access my system remotely if needed, and it is as secure as I can make it without potentially locking myself out, but as I never know which ip i'll be connecting from, I am unable to restrict access to just my ip, hence my concern.

I forget what the app is, but read in LINUX Pro about Port knocking. basically, the app runs on your home box, and when you attempt to ssh in it ignores unless you use the 'secret' knock.
Oversimplified ie: knock...knock,knock...knock
You can probably find it with a google search for 'port knocking'
The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It is functioning 100% effectively @ 50% capacity. It is approximately 75% efficient. I suggest fitting a lid of some sort.
Mine: MSI L725
Intel M740 1.73GH
nVidia Go 6600
2GB
160G pata Seagate
Intel ProWireless2200
Hers: HP dv 6000
AMD
3G
250Gb
Vista Office 2k7Ultimate (forced to play nice together with Blackboard OMFG!! Thank Moz for Firefox Don't f&*%ing ask)
Ours
HP C6280 Networked
Linksys WRT110
slingshotsuicide
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Previous

Return to Repository