Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

error code 1 [SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

error code 1 [SOLVED]

Postby dragonfly » Thu May 08, 2008 12:10 pm

I am a newbie to Ubuntu and don't know if I have a problem or not. Whenever I issue the command 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get upgrade' as instructed in Ubuntu for dummies I get [error code 1] after it has performed the command. Everything works just fine and I have installed other programs and they all work but this [error code 1] makes me wonder if a problem is brewing that could cause a crash somewhere down the line.
Thanks for any info
dragonfly
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: error code 1

Postby ima » Thu May 08, 2008 2:08 pm

Dragonfly, welcome aboard.

there is some talk at http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/01/ ... epository/
they give some ideas.

They say to try different mirrors (You can find a *very* long list of available mirrors in System > Admin > Software Sources : “Download From” drop-down, select “other”) and to try disabling a third party software source.

Worth a try.

Someone else may know more.
ima
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby SaddleTramp » Thu May 08, 2008 4:03 pm

ima wrote:Dragonfly, welcome aboard.

there is some talk at http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/01/ ... epository/
they give some ideas.

They say to try different mirrors (You can find a *very* long list of available mirrors in System > Admin > Software Sources : “Download From” drop-down, select “other”) and to try disabling a third party software source.

Worth a try.

Someone else may know more.

and here's another: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... e-1-195307

Seems, like ima said, could be a problem with the repos, could've been the package glitched up during the download, something along those lines. The link I posted had another suggestion that seemed to "fix" the problem, at least on their system.
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby DaddyX3 » Thu May 08, 2008 4:36 pm

dragonfly wrote:I am a newbie to Ubuntu and don't know if I have a problem or not. Whenever I issue the command 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get upgrade' as instructed in Ubuntu for dummies I get [error code 1] after it has performed the command. Everything works just fine and I have installed other programs and they all work but this [error code 1] makes me wonder if a problem is brewing that could cause a crash somewhere down the line.
Thanks for any info
dragonfly

Hello, You will have to remove all refrence to the automatix repository in your sources.list. To do so open up a terminal (alt+F2 then type: gnome-terminal and enter) and enter:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
When your in there you will need to find the atomatix repostitory and comment it out by placing a # in front of the listing or just erase the line all together. Automatix is no longer supported and has shut down. I suspect that this is your problem with "update" and "upgrade" proccess. Also while your there, you should add the Ultimate Edition repository to the list by placing the following line down at the bottom of the list:
Code: Select all
deb http://repoubuntusoftware.info harty all#Ultimate Repo

Hope this gets you up to speed.

-ps Linux for dummies is a great book (from what I've heard), but some things in there are more dialed in for a non-UE distro. TheeMahn has taken a lot of the pain away by incorporating all the updates and so-forth within the .iso. So on a fresh install of Ultimate Edition, it should not really need the "upgrade" portion. You will need to "update" after you remove the line with automatix from the repository list. So as soon as you get rid of the line, click save and exit. Then from a terminal issue:
sudo apt-get update
This will get you back on course.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby ima » Thu May 08, 2008 8:41 pm

Daddy, I'm not trying to question your superior knowledge or anything but my very limited understanding is that the Automatix problem was with 1.8 not 1.7 and will the harty repo work with 1.7.

Once again I'm not questioning I'm just trying to straighten things out in my small little brain. :D
ima
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby LeadFingers » Fri May 09, 2008 7:58 am

dragonfly wrote:I am a newbie to Ubuntu and don't know if I have a problem or not. Whenever I issue the command 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get upgrade' as instructed in Ubuntu for dummies I get [error code 1] after it has performed the command. Everything works just fine and I have installed other programs and they all work but this [error code 1] makes me wonder if a problem is brewing that could cause a crash somewhere down the line.
Thanks for any info
dragonfly

It's useful to run this command with the -u option.
sudo apt-get -u upgrade

This option causes APT to show the complete list of packages which will be upgraded. Without it, you'll be upgrading blindly. APT will download the latest versions of each package and will install them in the proper order.

This may give you a clue as to why the error.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby DaddyX3 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:21 pm

ima wrote:Daddy, I'm not trying to question your superior knowledge or anything but my very limited understanding is that the Automatix problem was with 1.8 not 1.7 and will the harty repo work with 1.7.

Once again I'm not questioning I'm just trying to straighten things out in my small little brain. :D

I'm sorry draggonfly, I was spacing out. I thought you were running 1.8! :oops: Guess I got a little ahead of myself here. There have been so many questions about 1.8 lately I think I just automatically answered your question while in 1.8 mode! :roll: Sorry, once again.

But now that this is brought up with Automatix and an issue of 1.8 .... I am pretty sure that Automatix went completely south and no longer will work no matter what version of Ultimate Edition you are running. I will bet that the repository is listed in 1.7 as well, and therfore should be removed. I do not suggest that you add the 1.8 repo to your list like I stated earlier - this will do you no good :oops:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby dragonfly » Fri May 09, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi everyone, I took "ima's' advice and changed my mirror then I took "daddy x3's" advice and changed my sources list, then I took leadfingers advice and did the '-u upgrade'. I still get the notice "Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg -error code (1). As I said everything works fine and downloads all work fine I am just wondering if this is a major concern and will I have problems later on. I still haven't looked into 'sadle tramp's' suggestion yet but will be going there shortly.
Thanks again everyone
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby drama » Tue May 13, 2008 6:36 pm

dragonfly wrote:"Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg -error code (1).

this makes me thing there is a broken package somewhere.

did you already remove kubuntu-docs?

i ask this because there was an issue with 1.7 where that package was broken in the default install.im thinking this is exactly what your problem ios

try this

sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-docs

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-docs

that will remove & then reinstall that package.

im thinking this is exactly what the problem is.

if that dont work try the next few things.

sudo apt-get install -f

that should fix any other broken packages.

if that dont work try this one.

open synaptics (system-->admin-->synaptics) then click filters & click brokens. if anything is listed under broken then remove them.

hope this helps.

<BREW>

-drama
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby dragonfly » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:26 am

Well I finally got back to this board, and am pleased to report that after removing "kubuntu-docs" and reinstalling "kubuntu-docs" I no longer get the "error code 1".Thanks everyone. I do get a different home page now which requires me to open the "button" tab on the Christmas home page and then select whichever page I want to view. But at least I feel better about downloading now.
Thanks again
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.7