Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 1.7 64 bit installation problems:

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Ultimate Edition 1.7 64 bit installation problems:

Postby Nobody » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:08 am

Note: I am a newbie and a non native English speaker.

I have a problem with installing 1.7 64 on a 64 bit computer.
As noted, I am a newbie, so I don't know how to describe my problem and what details to supply.

I tried to install 1.7 64 on a computer with 2GB DDR2 667 ram, AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ 2.5GHz, 8800GT 512MB graphic card (this seems to be the problem?) and a non appropriately detected Samsung syncMaster 760BF (another potential issue), I chose start / install, and got a note on low graphic mode.

If I try to configure it, it fails eventually either with messy looking screen or while it's written running boot script ... [OK].

If I don't configure the xserver, Or if I use safe graphic mode, it stuck anyway while it's written there running boot script ... [OK]. (I guess I should test if vanilla Ubuntu 7.10 boots at all on this computer - I can't do this now.)

(It stuck on this for minutes without any new message.
Eventually I give up every time - sometimes ctrl+alt+del (IIRC) helps it to starting a reboot, but sometimes... I need to press the reset button for 5+ seconds for a shutdown.
(ACPI override...? no idea. could be there's also a problem with ACPI?)

Anyway I checked the md5sum of the *ISO* and it matched.
I couldn't check the one of the burnt DVD, but as it started, and as there are files by browsing the CD, I know at least I burnt as an ISO...
Thought there COULD be error in the burning process itself.

I forgot to add that I have the same symptoms as kastas (from other post) - my screen ALSO switched itself on and off (going to sleep) when I tried to install.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I apologize for my being newbie, please ask for details if you need those.

I hope posting this would help me and other with the same problem;
I know ofc help is not to be "requested hardly" but only to be got by good people's willingness and free time,
and that nobody owes me nothing :) , so thank you ahead if you try to help here.
(I also apologize for my non perfect English and hope it was understood.)

Feel free to move it to the appropriate section if you want; I am sorry for not being sure where to post.
Nobody
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Re: Ultimate Edition 1.7 64 bit installation problems: not sure

Postby tranz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:12 pm

Just FYI http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=852&p=7998&sid=d9d31d2da645b2437ac7231f57f61542&sid=c0f2a9d859bf7a8e84663685f2060346#p7998 is where you should post this ;) .

Just a question. Are you installing this over a previous installation of Ultimate Edition or Linux? If so then that could be your problem? Ultimate Edition does not like to be installed where it already resides... You need a nice clean partition for it to go into. But if this is not the case then I'm not sure... What is your video card? I din't see that in your specs...

Also your English is better than people I know whom it's their native tounge! :D
tranz
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby tranz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:16 pm

Never mind on the Graphics card saw you posted it in another thread! :) I think your problem should just stay in that thread now. Hopefuly one of us can offer some good advice and get you going! :D
tranz
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby LeadFingers » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:00 am

Things to try.
At the first Ultimate Edition boot screen
Hit F6
Hit SpaceBar
Type nosplash noacpi
Hit Enter
let it boot up completely. (may take 10 minutes)

If this doesn't work
At first Ultimate Edition bootscreen
Select Safe graphics mode
then go through all the steps above

If this still doesn't work, post back.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Ultimate Edition 1.7 64 bit installation problems:

Postby Nobody » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:50 am

Hmm thanks for help, suggestions and moving :)

This didn't help me to get a full boot, also not with vga=771 (/ 791: worked with mandriva) with all those.*
(I can not post solid results here, but I can say it was changing depends on what I did - either black screen / garbled screen if forced on (I am not sure this is good thing to do :P), or stack on running local script [OK], or once on configuring samba.)

IMO nosplash helped together with safe mode to advance a little in boot,
(I think BOTH were needed and no black screen IIRC then)
also, I guess noacpi helped so CTRL+ALT+DEL worked.

I guess the most far I've got here is configuring samba (stack) one time. I don't remember what I did then.
Most of the time it stacked at running local script [OK] (I let it ~20+ minutes after it appeared and didn't change)

Either way take all the above "with a grain of salt" because of the following:

*HOWEVER now it seems I might have a problem with the burnt DVD...
(I saw segmentation fault 4, error reading sid (~*3), and one other pidof error reading.
I didn't understand that really, but I guess it's probably related to an ERROR'ED DVD)

Thank you LeadFingers very much, FMB for help and tranz :)
If I have "more solid" results after I burn the DVD just in case again, (md5sum was matching, but maybe DVD was corrupted in burning) I'll tell.

this time I'll try to remember NOTE what I did and what I get (about) ;)
I guess all hardware info I could think about is here,
if you need more details at one point (I'll post here if I have problems after burning again,) please ask.
Last edited by Nobody on Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby DaddyX3 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:21 pm

Sorry, I didn't see that this post or subject was moved till after I reply'd at the old spot.

Nobody wrote:Re: Ultimate Edition 1.7 x64 - screen switches off on boot

Well. While I did a mistake on this regard before (T2130 is NOT a 64 bit processor and I thought it is,)
I can say I have (another) computer with a processor which is SURELY 64 bit, and AMD:
Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4800+ 2.5 GHz (65nm)
and the screen keeps going off for me too. (LCD (Samsung SyncMaster760BF) "going to sleep")

I am a complete newbie, so I can't have a good guess why, but I thought it might be related to my graphic card? (8800GT 512MB) or possibly to an unidentified monitor (LCD - Samsung SyncMaster760BF)

I can supply other details if needed, but I already posted a topic in regard to my problem, and it's not my topic, so I have no idea which further details (if any) I should post here, and how.

There is no problem using your CPU or graphics card. I would suggest that if you are having problems with getting it to boot, that you try running in recovery mode (Hit esc key after BIOS post to get to GRUB menu- then select second line down from top). This will boot you with text only and drop you into a command line where it will ask you to press cntrl+D for maintenace or enter password to continue (or something like that :oops: ) do the maintenence option and once you are at a command line enter:
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

This will produce a generic gui for configuring your xorg.conf file (which is your file for loading the correct drivers for video and setting up other various things like your mouse and keyboard controls.

Go through all the options and screens using your Tab, Enter and space bar to tick check box's where nessisary. Selecting the default values in most cases will be ok. The places to pay attention to for you are going to be the type of graphics card and monitor sections. When it asks if you want to have your card automatically detected select the yes option, this should detect your card no problem. Then there will be a section where it asks you about drivers or there will be a box with numerous drivers listed (nv or nvidia will be highlighted), do not use the preselected option of nv or nvidia but instead go down to vesa and use that. after you get through the graphics card section, it will go through the mouse and keyboard section - you pretty much can't get screwed up in here and just select the defualt. In the end it will go through the monitor section. Here you need to specify the refresh rate of your monitor ( I think this may be an issue with your setup as well), look at the back of your monitor and it should have it listed on there - enter that value and move on. The very last thing it will ask you is if you want to write your data to the xorg.conf file - select yes and move on. It should now drop you back to command line. Just enter
startx
or
sudo startx
and you should be good to go. This will load up your xserver and load your new xorg.conf file. If for some reason it doesn't, just reboot - it will load up with your new xorg.conf file. Once your back at your desktop in Ultimate Edition, open a terminal by hitting ALT+F2 and typing gnome-terminal in the box and hit enter. when the terminal window opens type:
sudo envy -t

This will load the nvidia driver installer. Enter "1" and hit enter. This will automatically setup the correct nvidia drivers for your card. Hope this works for you. ;)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Nobody » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:35 pm

Thanks :) No idea if this will help / if I'll be able to follow it (as said, I am new), but I'll try.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Some notes - maybe the 1st may encourage some people with my problem :)

I had no problem to boot 8.04 x64... (tested for now wubi or live)
IIRC I had problem to boot on gutsy on this computer. (I can't check this now.)
So the problem SEEMS to be a gusty "issue" which "solved" / updated(?) in hardy, at least for hardware like mine. -As Ultimate Edition 1.8 will be 8.04 based... I guess this is a reason to be optimistic in this regard.

Initial impression after booting with 8.04: appropriate resolution for my screen, no visible errors, having all basic things work including sound, and having no problem to connect the net out of the box for the 1st time with ubuntu.
(though I do have problem in installing proprietary drivers from Nvidia on wubi the easy way - just tried to see (yes, I think I enabled what I had to) - I didn't check your solution yet on 1.7 or 8.04 - I'll try this tomorrow I guess :P It seems fast even without those drivers - but no effects.)

So I guess all will probably be much easier on 1.8 :)

A side note:
After burning again the DVD Btw I have the SAME errors I thought indicating of a bad burnt DVD, (error in reading sid ~*3 times, segmentation fault ... error 4, and that other error - all visible when not using quiet,) only now I am able to configure my monitor seemingly better if I get a low resolution note on boot... weird. (and no, my monitor is not on the list, but at least I can chose one with a similar name which also has the properties of 30-81/56-75/ 1280/1024 like my monitor seems to have.)
I DON'T think NOW I have an errored DVD, and for me, it doesn't seem to be the reason for those errors.

However, it seems coincidentally that I probably *did* have an errored DVD *before*. Go figure :P

I'll try to download 1.7 32 bit also (for one or two 32 bit computers at least.) I liked a Ultimate Edition 1.7 appliance I tried on vmware; maybe I can make a real install of 32 bit 1.7, at least.
Nobody
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby DaddyX3 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:38 pm

This is very typical with newer hardware. The distribution has to catch up to the hardware constantly. I used to have problems with my newest box I made, but now it is all good. Just took the next release and kernel to fix the little problems.
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:17 am

It doesn't work for my live CD - more details are on the other post, if you want.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=852&start=30#p8065

Thank you (and FMB again) for help, and sorry for waste of time I caused you,
From the little I understood though, This (or a variant of this) seem to be THE way to go on to solve graphics issues on installed OS, so it was a good advice even if it didn't work for me.

I guess I should close this from my side - I'll wait to 1.8 and try to download 1.7 32 bit (again - as last download was screwed up :( ) for my other computer.

*Answered in the other post to not cause more mess with double topic of mine :)
According to reply, I see I may still have a hope for 1.7 on this comp, (I'll try)
and I also verified today that the issue was present for my hardware on 7.10 and NOT on hardy ;)
Last edited by Nobody on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby DaddyX3 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:21 am

Nobody wrote:It doesn't work for my live CD - more details are on the other post, if you want.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=852&start=30#p8065

Thank you (and FMB again) for help, and sorry for waste of time I caused you,
From the little I understood though, This (or a variant of this) seem to be THE way to go on to solve graphics issues on installed OS, so it was a good advice even if it didn't work for me.

I guess I should close this from my side - I'll wait to 1.8 and try to download 1.7 32 bit (again - as last download was screwed up :( ) for my other computer.

Sorry bout that. Have you read this post? Sounds like this might work for you as well.

DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.7