Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Issues with 1.7

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Re: Issues with 1.7

Postby W4RP » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:17 am

phaedra wrote:
W4RP wrote:First i must mention that i'm new to linux world :) i have an issue with my ethernet controller i think.. my board is an ASUS M2N with nvidia nforce gigabit ethernet controller but i can't get it working with Ultimate Edition 1.7... i've tryed opensuse and fedora and it works fine.. can anyone help me with this?

I've just done a quick check and there seems to be intermittent problems for some people with the nic on this mobo...

Can you give us the chipset on this i.e. RTL8111/8168 or whatever... Use lspci to get the info.

phaedra

Thank's for your help phaedra, right now what i can tell you is that my chipset is Nforce 430 (MCP61)... i was trying to reinstall ultimate edition last night but something went wrong :( as soon as possible i will use lspci to get info but what i really think about this is that no ethernet controller as been detected.. i've tried also to reinstall IA32 nforce drivers (downloaded from nvidia website) but with no success.. if you can help me finding drivers for my mobo i would apreciate.

Once again thanks a lot

Nuno
W4RP
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby phaedra » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:26 pm

W4RP wrote:
phaedra wrote:
W4RP wrote:First i must mention that i'm new to linux world :) i have an issue with my ethernet controller i think.. my board is an ASUS M2N with nvidia nforce gigabit ethernet controller but i can't get it working with Ultimate Edition 1.7... i've tryed opensuse and fedora and it works fine.. can anyone help me with this?

I've just done a quick check and there seems to be intermittent problems for some people with the nic on this mobo...

Can you give us the chipset on this i.e. RTL8111/8168 or whatever... Use lspci to get the info.

phaedra

Thank's for your help phaedra, right now what i can tell you is that my chipset is Nforce 430 (MCP61)... i was trying to reinstall ultimate edition last night but something went wrong :( as soon as possible i will use lspci to get info but what i really think about this is that no ethernet controller as been detected.. i've tried also to reinstall IA32 nforce drivers (downloaded from nvidia website) but with no success.. if you can help me finding drivers for my mobo i would apreciate.

Once again thanks a lot

Nuno

See if this is it... http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other- ... 6576.shtml

If not, you can search that site with more qualifiers to narrow it down.

Was this the driver you tried to use?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.21.html
If not, try this one. I would suggest building it from source and not using alien to install the .rpm binaries.

And... Here is something about the kernel. It appears that support is in the 2.6.18 so it should be recognized even though a few are having problems.
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-281532.html

phaedra
phaedra

Postby dcorleone » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:26 pm

1.7 uses the 2.6.22 kernel tho. I suppose you could downgrade to the 2.6.18. If yer feelin' adventurous, you try upgrading to 2.6.24, but that's not available via the default repositories, so you'd probably have to get it from kernel.org and do it that way. You could add the hardy repos and get it that way, but if you do, then the update manager is gonna want to update your whole system to the hardy version, and I don't recommend that.

Obviously whatever you do you'll have to do from a different computer cuz you can't download to your laptop directly. A kernel change would probably be a last resort tho. Chances are, Phaedra's right about the drivers she pointed out to you, so definitely try that first.
dcorleone
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby W4RP » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:54 pm

Well my friends, finally and at least i am posting from my Ultimate Edition :)
I had to do it another way, i used a wireless usb card that i did prefer not use until today ;) (wireless connections slower) anyway thank god i bought my smc router with this card bundled... i was trying to install on-board network card since monday, working all day and working on linux everyday until 3-4 am... Whell, i've learned a lot of linux basic's with my first linux lesson ;)
Anyway i want to thank you both for the help you gave me, now with net working i'm going to discover linux power :evil:

Nuno
W4RP
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby dcorleone » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:32 pm

Glad to hear it worked. All credit goes to Phaedra tho. I really didn't do anything except fill you in on kernel versions.

As to me, I'm on my third new install. The great Gnome experiment is over. I've never really liked Gnome, I always thought it lacked features and was sort of a half-assed desktop environment. I haven't really tried it in years, so I thought I'd give modern Gnome a try, but my opinion remains. It's slow, the majority of applications I like using are KDE-oriented... Maybe it works for some, but I just don't like it.

So for now, I'm gonna go with KDE. It'll be more work, cuz KDE in UU comes as a default Kubuntu setup, but KDE just runs faster, is easier to configure, has more fully-developed applications... All this is temporary tho. Eventually I'm gonna slap XFCE on here, maybe E17. Both are attractive and extremely lightweight and high-performance, but ultimately I have more experience with KDE, so this'll be my jumping off point. Linux is a never-ending exploration...
dcorleone
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby phaedra » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:41 pm

W4RP wrote:Well my friends, finally and at least i am posting from my Ultimate Edition :)
I had to do it another way, i used a wireless usb card that i did prefer not use until today ;) (wireless connections slower) anyway thank god i bought my smc router with this card bundled... i was trying to install on-board network card since monday, working all day and working on linux everyday until 3-4 am... Whell, i've learned a lot of linux basic's with my first linux lesson ;)
Anyway i want to thank you both for the help you gave me, now with net working i'm going to discover linux power :evil:

Nuno

I only use wireless now... Both desktops and my laptop are all wirelessly connected to a linksys router downstairs. :) I'll never go back to wired nic's. Now, if they ever finalize draft-n we'll be well on our way to true high speed wireless...
As for linux lessons, at least with linux you can truly understand what's going on and have source code to compile kernel modules unlike that 'other' OS from Redmond. I'm still planning to take more certification courses when I can find the time. Only trouble is they are for RHCE but still apply to most distros.

You can also find info at tldp.org, they have networking manuals although I haven't looked at them in over a year or so because they were so out of date. We could probably write our own with culled info from across the net...

phaedra
phaedra

Postby phaedra » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:13 pm

dcorleone wrote:
As to me, I'm on my third new install. The great Gnome experiment is over. I've never really liked Gnome, I always thought it lacked features and was sort of a half-assed desktop environment. I haven't really tried it in years, so I thought I'd give modern Gnome a try, but my opinion remains. It's slow, the majority of applications I like using are KDE-oriented... Maybe it works for some, but I just don't like it.

The idea behind Gnome is that we users aren't intelligent enough to use a full featured desktop... Take a look at what they've done to xchat-gnome and the native azureus builds. Makes me sick. Instead of improving the desktop they keep trying to simplify it, thereby keeping it featureless and sterile. The first time I fired up Ultimate Edition 1.5 on my laptop I was shocked to see that someone had actually set the system up the way it *should* be. A fully functional system with plenty of config options. Thanks to TheeMahn. ;)

dcorleone wrote:So for now, I'm gonna go with KDE. It'll be more work, cuz KDE in UU comes as a default Kubuntu setup, but KDE just runs faster, is easier to configure, has more fully-developed applications... All this is temporary tho. Eventually I'm gonna slap XFCE on here, maybe E17. Both are attractive and extremely lightweight and high-performance, but ultimately I have more experience with KDE, so this'll be my jumping off point. Linux is a never-ending exploration...

I agree, KDE is way faster, has tons of configuration dialogs, the apps are first rate and not too dumbed down. I've had trouble with the wireless under kubuntu but I believe it's because of the Gnome oriented Canonical developement process. I'd forget E17 right now, it's still very beta. XFCE is fast, lightweight and good for laptops but... The way Xubuntu has slapped XFCE on top of the Gnome undercarriage leaves much to be desired. For one the screensaver will always start up now matter what you do. It just doesn't respond to the menu dialog and I tried xset in terminal with no luck. I got so mad I wanted to make my own build. You'd like Thunar too. I prefer it over Nautilus.

phaedra
phaedra

Postby W4RP » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:19 pm

If everything goes ok like i suppose, maybe in 1 year i'll be helping other's like you did with me :) for now i have lot's of stuff to learn...
I'm very excited with my Linux experience, maybe because i'm going to need to use it on work also.
There are so many things to discover, some simple things you both said looked like chinese to me... lol
Google is my best mate in that case :)
I also hope that someday we have Linux real studying here in Portugal, for now they teach the very basic.
My next step, explore this Beryl thing :)

Nuno
W4RP
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby phaedra » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:26 pm

W4RP wrote:If everything goes ok like i suppose, maybe in 1 year i'll be helping other's like you did with me :) for now i have lot's of stuff to learn...
I'm very excited with my Linux experience, maybe because i'm going to need to use it on work also.
There are so many things to discover, some simple things you both said looked like chinese to me... lol
Google is my best mate in that case :)
I also hope that someday we have Linux real studying here in Portugal, for now they teach the very basic.
My next step, explore this Beryl thing :)

Nuno

You can learn a lot just by surfing the net for articles... As for Beryl they've gotten back together and it's called Compiz-Fusion now.

phaedra
phaedra

Postby dcorleone » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:38 pm

phaedra wrote:The idea behind Gnome is that we users aren't intelligent enough to use a full featured desktop... Take a look at what they've done to xchat-gnome and the native azureus builds. Makes me sick. Instead of improving the desktop they keep trying to simplify it, thereby keeping it featureless and sterile. The first time I fired up Ultimate Edition 1.5 on my laptop I was shocked to see that someone had actually set the system up the way it *should* be. A fully functional system with plenty of config options. Thanks to TheeMahn. ;)

Well I think ORIGINALLY Gnome came to be cuz KDE started it's existance using some closed-source, non-GPL stuff and a lot of people didn't like that, so they started Gnome to be a fully GPL-compliant desktop. From what I understand, KDE has since changed so it's not really an issue anymore. Personally I DO think KDE is a little bloated, so I get that part, but Gnome is stripped WAY down and performs even worse. Not a
great combo. It just FEELS half-baked.

phaedra wrote:I agree, KDE is way faster, has tons of configuration dialogs, the apps are first rate and not too dumbed down. I've had trouble with the wireless under kubuntu but I believe it's because of the Gnome oriented Canonical developement process. I'd forget E17 right now, it's still very beta. XFCE is fast, lightweight and good for laptops but... The way Xubuntu has slapped XFCE on top of the Gnome undercarriage leaves much to be desired. For one the screensaver will always start up now matter what you do. It just doesn't respond to the menu dialog and I tried xset in terminal with no luck. I got so mad I wanted to make my own build. You'd like Thunar too. I prefer it over Nautilus

Dunno about Xubuntu. I tried Dreamlinux which is XFCE and another one I can't recall, and I've added it to a couple distros myself. I like it. It's insanely light-weight, very usable and efficient, and it still supports all the 3D bells and whistles. The problem is with Gnome or with KDE, you're using a lot of the same guts and apps and such. XFCE doesn't rely on any KDE or Gnome innards to do it's thing, so it'll take a little gettings used to, since most of my favorite apps are KDE or Gnome. Oh I know I can run the guts of either inside XFCE, but I'd prefer not to if I can get away with it. It'll take a little playin' around first before it becomes my primary desktop, but it will be sooner or later.

E17 is more or less interchangeable with XFCE as far as functionality goes. It's also very lightweight and has the ability to be very pretty all by itself. Problem is, you lose all that 3D stuff with E17. To be honest, there's only maybe 3 compiz plugins I like, so I wouldn't miss it too much. For E17 I tried Elive and one other I can't recall atm and also put that on a few distros myself. It's beta, but it's not "very beta". I found it completely usable with no noticeable bugs in the time I used it. You want "VERY beta" try KDE4... (Shudder!) I tried Pioneer Explorer and that comes with 3.5.8 and 4.0 pre-installed. Yeck. KDE4 is twitchy to the point of being completely unusable for one thing, and for another, I just don't like it. It's definitely the KDE guys tryin' hard to make KDE into MS Vista. I want performance and stability. I don't need more desktop widgets and animated icons. There's plenty of tinsel on the tree. Another reason I prefer XFCE and E17. I'm not thrilled with the design philosophy behind the direction KDE's headed.

Re: Nautilus, eh, I'm not a huge fan. I'll take Dolphin or Krusader over any other option right now. Tho a couple of the often overlooked file-managers are nice too. Try xfe sometime. Visually it's a little Windows-ish, but it's the swiss army knife of file managers, with at least as much functionality as Konqueror, and being an X program, it's very lean and fast.
dcorleone
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.7