Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Customizing the Desktop

Customizing the Desktop

Postby cowboy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Hello, with so many features brought to you by TheeMahn with Ultimate, there is a few of us still want to give it that little more bling. Any one who has a how to or link feel free to post.
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Changing the main menu icon to one of your liking

Postby DaddyX3 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:05 am

I learned this from HERE - so my creativity is not to be given credit here :oops: But none the less, its a pretty cool little how-to change your panel icons or main menu icon. I'm pasting and editing slightly - hope Alex S. don't mind ;) You can use this method to change your trash can style, power button, main menu icon and a few others.

Alex S. (with some slight modifications) wrote:Pick your favorite logo or icon/ .png & put it into the /usr/share/icons/directory. Find the icon folder/theme your using and copy/paste into the /scalable/places folder.[see note below this paragraph] Custom icon sets are located in ~/.icons/(just simply open nautilus and copy and paste "~/.icons/" into the location bar) If you don’t know which icon set you are using, you can check by going to System, Preferences, Theme, and then clicking the “Icons” tab.

note: sometimes there is no "scalable" folder for your icon set - simply right click on your panel and goto properties and check out what size your panel is in pixels (there is a adjustment box to make your panel larger there) then place your icon into the appropriate folder for icon size (ex. 48X48 folder would be used if your panel is right around 48 pixels or larger up to the next size higher)

These examples may help you locate the proper directory for your icon. If you are using the default (human) icon set that comes with gutsy, the directory where you would place start-here.svg is /usr/share/icons/Human/scalable/places/. One of my old custom icon sets is called “Glass Icons” so I went to my ~/.icons/ folder and found that my icons were stored in the folder ~/.icons/glass-icons. So my directory for start-here.svg is ~/.icons/glass-icons/scalable/places. I had to create the /places folder. Note that the folder name’s syntax is different from the icon set’s name. (Glass Icons vs. glass-icons)

Be aware that many custom themes also use the “GNOME” icon set by default.
Once you have placed distributor-logo.svg in the correct directory, run:

killall gnome-panel
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Re: Customizing the Desktop

Postby cowboy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:30 am

Thanks Daddy, haven't tried it yet ran into a unexpected delay, but have been working on a similar idea. Changing the face in Cairo Clock, great program but I still like "have it your own way".
Will post a how to on this probably with Daddy3x help or anyone else... ;)
Attachments
4q.png
Daddy3x avatar..final..in clock
5q.png
My avatar..never a final,,in clock
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God