Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Run any program from any operating system...

A place to make suggestions...

Run any program from any operating system...

Postby dougal » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:25 am

The ability to run 'ANY' program from within the GUI of Ultimate Edition would give everyone the chance to use Ultimate Edition as their OS of choice.
Yes, I know there is WINE and the efforts of the people involved at WineHQ have to be acknowledged but, I believe to have an operating system that has this ability would leave people with no reason to use other operating systems unless it was a hardware issue.
Was this not the original intention of the early computer pioneers.

Just think how fantastic it would be for a Microsoft Windows or Apple Mac user to be able to switch to Ultimate Edition to run a better software product than may be available for their current system and vice versa for Ultimate Edition or Linux users in general to be able to 'just run' a Apple or Windows ready program in Ultimate Edition with no installation problems like missing library files or run time errors.

We would have the best of all Worlds. There is no doubt in anyones mind that there are programs used in the commercial world that are better suited to tasks than their Open Source counter parts and again vice versa and until products from both platforms have a truly cross platform capability then there will always be a them and us with a lot of end users out of luck in getting the best program for the job.

I like Ultimate Edition the best as an operating system but, get frustrated now and then that I don't have the ability to sort out the problems associated with not being able to get Wine to install a Windows based program that I need because there just plain and simply isn't a Linux alternative or at least not one that works.

These are my thoughts for today. Now I must go out to get the shopping done before my better half throws things at me :)
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Re: Run any program from any operating system...

Postby onosendai58 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:14 am

I can`t imagine any Linux distro would allow this, but it`s a nice thought...
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby dougal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:04 am

Yep, it is a nice thought isn't it?
I am thinking along the lines of the Universal file viewers that we have nowadays. Okay they won't read ANY file but, a damn lot of them can be viewed even though they can't be edited.
So my guess is that someone with the right amount of knowledge and ingenuity could in theory make an operating system to just RUN any program.
I mean, when ever a Linux program gets built, if I am thinking correctly, all library files needed to run the program should be installed with the program if the program finds they are not in the system already.
The same goes for MS Visual Basic progs - if upon install there are library files missing or Active-X is not installed then you get the instruction to go and install whatever is missing and the installer does it all for you.
So the same could be true of ANY program if a universal installer could be built.

Daydream..............
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby billhedrick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:47 am

OK I have worked in the Kitchen industry, the auto industry and the computer industry. One common aspect of them is that manufacturers cooperate on one level, but at a certain point they make stuff that simply won't work universally. It's a way to reinforce brand loyalty. Frankly they are more interested in sales than they are in commonality.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Return to Suggestions