Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Debian edition

A place to make suggestions...

Re: Debian edition

Postby Mr.T » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:01 pm

One thing of interest that I have just recalled is that the Ultimate Edition live cd ram usage is far less than the install though at the moment I don't recall the figures.
LMDE 64 bit
HP a6541
4gb ram. Phenom triple core 8450
Nvidia GT 440 1gb
Mr.T
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby Meister » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:07 pm

Mr.T wrote:Maybe it's my system then, because it doesn't seem to matter what Ubuntu base that I use it is still ram hungry. For instance, a fresh install of Mint 9 (Ubuntu 10.04 base) ticks over after start up at 23% of ram.

Might be although I did an install of 3.0 alpha once kept my ram at 56%ish and processors maxed out. Reinstalled and back to normal, was weird /shrug. Although i would like to touch on the Debian topic, with Ultimate Edition we basically track down and fix the bugs given to us by Ubuntu. Stream line and update it squash more bugs then install our software and visual suites and test squash rinse repeat until its running solid for our testers. If we went straight Debian we would have to build Ubuntu clone basically to get all the software to be compatible. I admit this is a dumbed down answer , since i am a n00b its the best answer i have. Thee explained it to me and honestly his answer is way more efficient and technical, but i do not hold a candle to his knowledge. I hope this helps.
Meister
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby Mr.T » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:15 pm

Meister wrote:
Mr.T wrote:Maybe it's my system then, because it doesn't seem to matter what Ubuntu base that I use it is still ram hungry. For instance, a fresh install of Mint 9 (Ubuntu 10.04 base) ticks over after start up at 23% of ram.

If we went straight Debian we would have to build Ubuntu clone basically to get all the software to be compatible.

Not looking for an Ubuntu clone but Debian with all the Ultimate Edition usabilty, applications, Codecs and all the visual goodies pre installed. For most new linux users it would be the nuts.

Check out LMDE and you'll see what I mean.
LMDE 64 bit
HP a6541
Nvidia GT 440 1gb
Mr.T
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:20 pm

Ultimate Edition is no ubuntu cloan, rather a remixed version of ubuntu.

Key points to doing a remix

1. track down and fix all errors

2. improve over all look

3. provide a better software base

4. better support for applications

5. more out of the box support for hardware

etc.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:24 pm

Mr.T wrote:
Meister wrote:

If we went straight Debian we would have to build Ubuntu clone basically to get all the software to be compatible.

Not looking for an Ubuntu clone but Debian with all the Ultimate Edition usabilty, applications, Codecs and all the visual goodies pre installed. For most new linux users it would be the nuts.

Check out LMDE and you'll see what I mean.

As for LMDE, tried it. Built 3 remixes based on it.

Ended up using mint 11 gnome classic as my base of choice due to soooooooooooooooooooooo many issues with updates going all wrong in LMDE.

Just swing by Mint forums bro , must be 10,000 threads about it.

I get her stable, update here several times no problems. Then poof broke as broke gets.

Tested via 7 different systems even.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Mr.T » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:27 pm

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:Ultimate Edition is no ubuntu cloan, rather a remixed version of ubuntu.

I wasn't looking to either be disrespectful to this distro or to start a distro war. I just thought that it may be nice to have an extra choice.
LMDE 64 bit
HP a6541
Nvidia GT 440 1gb
Mr.T
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby billhedrick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:28 pm

Just my semi-informed opinion, Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros tend to be more finished and user friendly than Debian. Debian seems to me to be more for "Mechanics" than for general consumption.

The thing that I love about Ultimate Edition is that it's in there.You want XYZ? it's in there. I need it do this or that, the tools are there.

As far as having another choice... Well, despite all the help, Ultimate Edition is the product of TheeMann, and I think he has enough on his plate now.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Meister » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:30 pm

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:Ultimate Edition is no ubuntu cloan, rather a remixed version of ubuntu.

Key points to doing a remix

1. track down and fix all errors

2. improve over all look

3. provide a better software base

4. better support for applications

5. more out of the box support for hardware

etc.

Aye but if we went from a remix to a fork it would require tons more work. i think honestly this is a topic better left to guru and Thee lol i try but i am a n00b who is learning. I will give you this link to give more info on the Debian Vs Ubuntu debate.
Meister
Site Admin

Postby Mr.T » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:30 pm

billhedrick wrote:
As far as having another choice... Well, despite all the help, Ultimate Edition is the product of TheeMann, and I think he has enough on his plate now.

Point taken :oops:
LMDE 64 bit
HP a6541
Nvidia GT 440 1gb
Mr.T
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Meister » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:32 pm

Mr.T wrote:

I wasn't looking to either be disrespectful to this distro or to start a distro war. I just thought that it may be nice to have an extra choice.

Discussion is good , and honestly look at bottom of the board have new sections with options :)
Meister
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions