Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Debian edition

A place to make suggestions...

Debian edition

Postby Mr.T » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:58 am

Are there any plans for a straight Debian edition along similar lines to lmde ? It would be Spanking !
LMDE 64 bit
HP a6541
4gb ram. Phenom triple core 8450
Nvidia GT 440 1gb
Mr.T
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Re: Debian edition

Postby pch.shot » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:55 pm

You can always try regular Ubuntu and only install what you want.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Mr.T » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:37 am

I used Ubuntu and its variants (Ultimate Edition etc) as my main desktop since 7.10. It became more and more resource hungry (Current tick over for 10.04 is around 22% of my 4 gigs of ram ). The final straw was Ubuntu's plan to drop gnome in favour of unity. When I started looking elsewhere, I discovered LMDE, which although still a little rough in places is almost as complete as the Ubuntu based distro's. Also, and this is one of the amazing bits; With the same start up applications running as say Ubuntu 10.04 it is ticking over on only 5.6% of my ram.

Given the apparent slickness of Debian over Ubuntu , would it not be possible for an ultimate Edition based on Debian to be made. With all the associated goodies and applications that made Ultimate Edition famous, it really would be the "ultimate".
LMDE 64 bit
HP a6541
Nvidia GT 440 1gb
Mr.T
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pam » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:02 am

its lxde not lmde(never heard of it)
the goal of ultimate edition from the looks of it is to be the best operating system ever-- desktop, server you name it which is based on ubuntu. Ubuntu is dynamically easier and less time consuming to modify than debian. Debian's main purpose is stability above all and its easy to run multiprocessor servers and data centres with it, also there are many linux's out there which can do the same thing and ubuntu is one of them but heck people dont have advanced hardware, only new. Your phenom is losing against the higher tides coming in and within a few months with the first generation bulldozer you might be lost. Recently legacy hardware drivers and related code were purged from the main kernel which means you cant run pentium 3's related devices anymore and nobody expects you to either. 4 gigs of ram is very less nowadays at least 8 is needed and its cheap too. Average ram consumption is going to go up over 2 gig in newer systems as 32 gig mobos become a norm. Just because a linux os uses less ram does not mean its working efficiently anymore.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Mr.T » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:55 pm

pam wrote:its lxde not lmde(never heard of it)
the goal of ultimate edition from the looks of it is to be the best operating system ever-- desktop, server you name it which is based on ubuntu. Ubuntu is dynamically easier and less time consuming to modify than debian. Debian's main purpose is stability above all and its easy to run multiprocessor servers and data centres with it, also there are many linux's out there which can do the same thing and ubuntu is one of them but heck people dont have advanced hardware, only new. Your phenom is losing against the higher tides coming in and within a few months with the first generation bulldozer you might be lost. Recently legacy hardware drivers and related code were purged from the main kernel which means you cant run pentium 3's related devices anymore and nobody expects you to either. 4 gigs of ram is very less nowadays at least 8 is needed and its cheap too. Average ram consumption is going to go up over 2 gig in newer systems as 32 gig mobos become a norm. Just because a linux os uses less ram does not mean its working efficiently anymore.

Oh dear where to start :roll:
Let me enlighten you .
LMDE stands for Linux Mint Debian Edition (not lxde which is a light weight desktop environment ). It is a distro of Linux Mint . Most linux users have probably heard of them as they regularly appear as number 2 on Distro watch's most popular list.

LMDE is fast becoming Mint's most popular version, so much so that I understand that they are moving most of their distro's over to the more efficient Debian base.

Yes I am aware that ubuntu is also based on Debian , but seems to gain an awful lot of baggage along the way.

What i was suggesting is that it would be great if Ultimate Edition also ran a version based on the more efficient and less hungry Debian base .

As for your suggestion that resource hungry distro's are the way forward ; well I don't want to rain on your parade but that is the most ridiculous suggestion that I have heard for ages :lol:
Have you forgotten that the downfall of windows vista was brought about in no short way by its very unpopular high ram usage .
Last edited by Mr.T on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMDE 64 bit
HP a6541
Nvidia GT 440 1gb
Mr.T
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby billhedrick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:59 pm

hey guys... chill a tad bit please.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:14 pm

Current tick over for 10.04 is around 22% of my 4 gigs of ram

Then your doing something really wrong some were.

natty based PC-TRENDS-OS-2011-hybred-x64

classic gnome

4 GB of ram fully loaded

Lot of eye candy in use.

Screenshot-14.png

I know for a FACT pure natty was even less

LTS 10.04 EVEN less. pc-trends-os-2011-lts tests out @ 385 MB of ram at full load with 4 GB of ram & 187 mb of ram at full load with 1 GB of ram.

Average classic gnome should only pull around 200 mb or less at start with 1 GB of ram or 400 MB of ram or less with 4 GB of ram
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Mr.T » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:18 pm

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:
Current tick over for 10.04 is around 22% of my 4 gigs of ram

Then your doing something really wrong some were.

natty based PC-TRENDS-OS-2011-hybred-x64

classic gnome

4 GB of ram fully loaded

Lot of eye candy in use.

Screenshot-14.png

I know for a FACT pure natty was even less

LTS 10.04 EVEN less. pc-trends-os-2011-lts tests out @ 385 MB of ram at full load with 4 GB of ram & 187 mb of ram at full load with 1 GB of ram.

Average classic gnome should only pull around 200 mb or less at start with 1 GB of ram or 400 MB of ram or less with 4 GB of ram

The 10.04 install in question, was a totally fresh install of Ultimate Edition 2.6.1 64 bit

Didn't mention the Ultimate Edition bit so as not to offend anyone on here.
LMDE 64 bit
HP a6541
Nvidia GT 440 1gb
Mr.T
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Meister » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Nah man if you have an issue with any Ultimate Edition product post it up here. As guru has said something is amiss. I am running 2.6.2 on my lap top and after 12.5 days up ram is only 652MB out of 2GiB.

If people do not post strange things like this we can not keep track of issues to determine if its a freak happening or a on going issue we should look at.
Meister
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby Mr.T » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:53 pm

Maybe it's my system then, because it doesn't seem to matter what Ubuntu based distro that I use it is still ram hungry. For instance, a fresh install of Mint 9 (Ubuntu 10.04 base) ticks over after start up at 23% of ram.

But as previously stated LMDE ticks after start up at 5.6%
LMDE 64 bit
HP a6541
Nvidia GT 440 1gb
Mr.T
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Suggestions