Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

More Packages Editions

A place to make suggestions...

More Packages Editions

Postby Lecter » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:13 pm

I've checked couple GPL programs, and some other ubuntu/debian distributions,
for now ive compared musix vs ubuntu studio, it seems musix have newer versions and more softwares than Ubuntu Studio, so i would be a good idea to check for their packages-list first.
I believe adding all (musix and ubuntu studio pakcages that arent in musix) would be the easiest way to have the multimedia software section complete in the shortest time.
Also Musix is larger than Ubuntu ltimate 1.8, in DVD size (2Gb+).

Also keep an eye on ntfs-3g updates, the normal ubuntu has an old ntfs-3g version, theyve fixed many bugs and stuff since that version.

I would also like advanced packages in mathematics and sciences, (octave, R, gnumerics, COIN-OR,...), couple mathlab-likes and R is too useful for stats to be ignored and octave is very useful as one of the best gpl-matlab-like, kstar and stuf like it, (some are already in musix, despise musix aint even oriented that way).
COIN-OR is a pack of solver-softwares to optimize problems.

Version with KDE and XFCE on it to allow login in different deskopts would also be great, since you pick a deskopt at login-in and not on boot.

Also, a gpl-games pack with some GPL games such wormux and wesnoth, the list of them can be easily found on wikipedia, some of them such nexuiz and flightgear are however a bit bigs and should separately be promoted.

The goal would be to have a fuller dvd (4+ Gb) that would allow user to choose which groups of packges to install.
Lecter
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.4 64 BIT

Re: More Packages Editions

Postby LeadFingers » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:34 am

Lecter wrote:I've checked couple GPL programs, and some other ubuntu/debian distributions,
for now ive compared musix vs ubuntu studio, it seems musix have newer versions and more softwares than Ubuntu Studio, so i would be a good idea to check for their packages-list first.
I believe adding all (musix and ubuntu studio pakcages that arent in musix) would be the easiest way to have the multimedia software section complete in the shortest time.
Also Musix is larger than Ubuntu ltimate 1.8, in DVD size (2Gb+).

TheeMahn strives to make a general use distro and has to seriously narrow down his list of potential packages to keep the download as small as possible. His hosting services has a 2Gb limitation and he tries to keep it below that level for the limitation of the Windows users as well.
Whether you download it initially or add it from the repo's, you're still downloading it, so might as well cater to the general user and not add to many packages that most people won't use.
Also keep an eye on ntfs-3g updates, the normal ubuntu has an old ntfs-3g version, theyve fixed many bugs and stuff since that version
Good to know, thanks for the head's up. <BREW>
I would also like advanced packages in mathematics and sciences, (octave, R, gnumerics, COIN-OR,...), couple mathlab-likes and R is too useful for stats to be ignored and octave is very useful as one of the best gpl-matlab-like, kstar and stuf like it, (some are already in musix, despise musix aint even oriented that way).
COIN-OR is a pack of solver-softwares to optimize problems.
There are several different repo's you can add so that you can use Synaptic to get the packages you want. Medubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Scibuntu or Subuntu and Musix will prolly fill most of your needs. MedUbuntu is one of the most up to date. A simple google for repo's should bring you more than anyone could expect to use.
Version with KDE and XFCE on it to allow login in different deskopts would also be great, since you pick a deskopt at login-in and not on boot.
All the odd # releases (1.3, 1.5, 1.7, and the upcoming 1.9) have the choice at login, of choosing your desktop. The even # releases are Gnome only as most people here prefer Gnome.
Also, a gpl-games pack with some GPL games such wormux and wesnoth, the list of them can be easily found on wikipedia, some of them such nexuiz and flightgear are however a bit bigs and should separately be promoted.
Either take a look at one of the Gamers Editions or hit the Upgrade Icon, choose "Custom" to take a look at which games are installed by default on the Gamers Edition. (It's a nice selection, I think you will be pleased.) The Upgrade process brings a standard install up to what you would have in a Gamers Edition install.
The goal would be to have a fuller dvd (4+ Gb) that would allow user to choose which groups of packges to install.
This sounds like Suse's old idea, where they put a couple gigs of packages on disc's and allowed the user to choose which to install. What initially seemed like a good concept, proved to be a bad idea on their part. Packages get updated so frequently that the standard repo system proved to be a much better idea. example... 2 months after you do your install you decide you need the "XYZ" package, getting it from the updated repo's, rather than the old disc, ensures you have less buggs and a newer package. (with less total downloads)

For the reasons listed above, TheeMahn tries to keep everything (with the exception of Gamers Edition) below 2Gb. You do currently have the choice of which packages to install with either apt or Synaptic. Either way you're downloading, Why download stuff you don't want & can't use? The current method allows the user to choose which packages they want beyond the standard system. There are some users on the main Ubuntu forums that think Ultimate Edition has to many packages now. It would seem choice is king.

I hope this sounded like an explanation and not a rant, as we always appreciate suggestions.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby cowboy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:00 am

All well put LeadFingers...there is quite a few member that are limited to the downloading..plus there speed...
4 gigs?...ouch to some.. ;)
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:13 am

In counterpoint I would say that I would actually like to see a more "stripped down" version of Ultimate: an install script for Flash, Java, Acro-Read, third party codecs (.mp3, .wma, .avi etc.) and fonts, some "critical fill" software packages like Firefox and Open Office, along with the core OS of course, and that would be IT. As it stands now, stripping out a lot of un-needed/un-wanted packages from a fresh install of Ultimate comprises a big part of my "tweaking" process. It's a delicate balancing act, I suppose; trying to preload enough to satisfy without bloating the overall package.

One of the things I like about Ubuntu/Linux is the choice I have. Say for instance the choice of NOT having a bunch of software "preloaded" with my operating system based on someone else's idea of what should come with a default install. If you want something that doesn't come with the default install, use Synaptic -- that's what it's there for. You can just give me the OS and let me do the rest, thank you very much.

Just my two-cent's.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby Lecter » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:33 pm

2Gb limit =(
Still a package list would be useful, the one synaptic use... took me like 4 hours just to checkbox everything
kde should be installed as dual interface.

I'm using a dual boot using mostly ntfs for files, thats why I have wine,cygwin,ext2 for windows and the precious ntfs-3g that made writing safe on ntfs since around 6 months.

Still I've discovered couple software from my windows partition, running well in x system, such as the jnes-znes binaries for windows, winamp installer,InfraRecorder windows binaries, which can be took from source but has no .deb package (prolly one of the best gpl cd/dvd burners), starcraft (the video drivers made it color ugly), wc3, (would work with external video card), sadly couple exe would work but their licenses aint working for x system.

Am currently trying to find the linux binaries to be able to run them from cygwin.
Lecter
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby cowboy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:18 pm

What took you 4hrs to compile..and that is what you have chosen would take one man ..TheeMahn..days to make sure its right..and everything works...I agree with Baph...and to point out again you can always choose the Custom option in the upgrade...more onions please...leave out the tomato.. ;)
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Lecter wrote:2Gb limit =(
Still a package list would be useful, the one synaptic use... took me like 4 hours just to checkbox everything
kde should be installed as dual interface.

A package list wouldn't be a bad thing, I suppose, but your four-hour compile was based on your wants and needs alone. Sorry to inform you of this, but the fact of the mattter is YOUR particular wants and needs do not, and should not, dictate what comprises a default distribution. If you want something that's not there, install it. If it's there and you don't want it, remove it. If starting with Ultimate and "tweaking" it to your desired specifications is too much work, download/install another distro, like Arch, and get on with life as you understand it.

Same-same with KDE. If you want KDE installed in addition to Gnome, install it. I would rather TheeMahn put his time and effort into things that the typical end-user can not easily or readily modify themselves; leaving optional things like what music player (or desktop manager) I choose to use up to me.

The 2GB file-size limit has a perfectly logical, and clearly stated, raison d'être; you're beating a dead horse.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Lecter » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:45 pm

it didnt took 4 hours to compile, but to go search for the packages....
Some werent in Synaptic, thats what was taking so much long, and had to search many ones in synaptic too...
Lecter
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby LeadFingers » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:23 am

Lecter wrote:it didnt took 4 hours to compile, but to go search for the packages....
Some werent in Synaptic, thats what was taking so much long, and had to search many ones in synaptic too...
This little snippet from Newbie's Corner in Little Things tells you how to generate a complete package list (only 1 line of code required)
By Cynical @ http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366

How-To: Create a list of installed packages

I found out how to do this recently and thought it might be helpful to some people. To output this information to a file in your home directory you would use,
Code: Select all
dpkg --get-selections > installed-software

And if you wanted to use the list to reinstall this software on a fresh ubuntu setup,
dpkg --set-selections < installed-software

followed by
dselect

Also dealing with packages
By Gamelian @ http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366

To get rid of unnecessary packages resulting from installing and uninstalling stuff.
Just
sudo apt-get autoremove

and apt will generate a list of orphaned packages and give you the option to remove them.

This next snippet (I know you didn't ask for it but it is real handy), also from Little things
By vinca

To install anything in a .bin format
i've installed many a .bin:
cd /where the software is

chmod +x software.bin

./software.bin

.bin is a universal linux installer, so good that google uses it ;)

You have options with Linux!
Knowledge is power.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:42 pm

LeadFingers wrote:Knowledge is power.

But is it optional?

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Suggestions