Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Usplash Maker 1.03

Source code I have written openly published for your viewing pleasure.

Did you find this source useful / informative?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes : 17

Re: Usplash Maker

Postby hansh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:32 am

Fantastic work! (Indeed!!!)

With a lot of hard work and trial and error I did finally manage to create my own Usplash screens -
BUT now since I found your tool it does a much better job than I was previously able to achieve!!!

I have found a glitch though (and I have the same problem with my own "handmade" screens):

In Ubuntu Gutsy, when an ext3 filesystem check is performed (every 40th boot) the screen just turns black and there is no indication of what is going on...
This situation could unfortunately be mistaken for some kind of error/lock up and cause a not so
initiated user to press the button and restart the machine - and then the same problem would occur and ...
(i.e. not good)
The standard Ubuntu splash will in this situation start printing the boot messages.
What is the trick in achieving this? I have not been able to find this out yet.

Regards

Hans höök
hansh
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby DenKain » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:07 pm

I seem to be having a little problem, this is the output:

Code: Select all
username@myPC:/myVault/myPictures$ /home/username/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/MakeUsplash myTest.gif
/home/username/.gtkrc-2.0:2: error: scanner: unterminated string constant - e.g. `style'
/home/username/.gtkrc-2.0:2: error: scanner: unterminated string constant - e.g. `style'
1024X768
[: 161: ==: unexpected operator
1024X768
1 100
--11:57:58--  http://ubuntusoftware.info/scripts/USplash/USplash.tar.gz
           => `USplash.tar.gz'
Resolving localhost... 127.0.0.1
Connecting to localhost|127.0.0.1|:8118... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 10,253 (10K) [application/x-tar]

100%[=================================================================================>] 10,253         1.01K/s    ETA 00:00

11:58:14 (705.29 B/s) - `USplash.tar.gz' saved [10253/10253]

usplash-theme-ubuntu.c
throbber_fore_1280_1024.png
throbber_fore_1024_768.png
throbber_fore_800_600.png
throbber_fore_640_480.png
throbber_fore_640_400.png
throbber_back_1280_1024.png
throbber_back_1024_768.png
throbber_back_800_600.png
throbber_back_640_480.png
throbber_back_640_400.png
Makefile
helvB10.bdf
16X16.fnt
1024X768
convert: missing an image filename `WorkInProgress/usplash_1024_768.png'.
convert: unable to open image `WorkInProgress/usplash_1024_768.png': No such file or directory.
convert: geometry does not contain image `WorkInProgress/paletted.png'.
convert: geometry does not contain image `WorkInProgress/paletted.png'.
make: Circular throbber_back_640_400.png <- throbber_back_640_400.png.c dependency dropped.
make: Circular throbber_back_640_480.png <- throbber_back_640_480.png.c dependency dropped.
make: Circular throbber_back_800_600.png <- throbber_back_800_600.png.c dependency dropped.
make: Circular throbber_back_1024_768.png <- throbber_back_1024_768.png.c dependency dropped.
make: Circular throbber_back_1280_1024.png <- throbber_back_1280_1024.png.c dependency dropped.
make: Circular throbber_fore_640_400.png <- throbber_fore_640_400.png.c dependency dropped.
make: Circular throbber_fore_640_480.png <- throbber_fore_640_480.png.c dependency dropped.
make: Circular throbber_fore_800_600.png <- throbber_fore_800_600.png.c dependency dropped.
make: Circular throbber_fore_1024_768.png <- throbber_fore_1024_768.png.c dependency dropped.
make: Circular throbber_fore_1280_1024.png <- throbber_fore_1280_1024.png.c dependency dropped.
make: *** No rule to make target `usplash_640_400.png.c.o', needed by `usplash-theme-ubuntu.so'.  Stop.
mv: cannot stat `usplash-theme-ubuntu.so': No such file or directory
username@myPC:/myVault/myPictures$

DenKain
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby LeadFingers » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:20 am

Are you using Ultimate Edition?
There are a few dependencies missing in the Ubuntu release.
I believe TheeMahn shows which you need, if you reread the entire thread.
Since it was designed to run on Ultimate Edition it may not work so well with anything else.
If you are using Ultimate Edition I apologize.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:10 pm

hansh wrote:Fantastic work! (Indeed!!!)

With a lot of hard work and trial and error I did finally manage to create my own Usplash screens -
BUT now since I found your tool it does a much better job than I was previously able to achieve!!!

I have found a glitch though (and I have the same problem with my own "handmade" screens):

In Ubuntu Gutsy, when an ext3 filesystem check is performed (every 40th boot) the screen just turns black and there is no indication of what is going on...
This situation could unfortunately be mistaken for some kind of error/lock up and cause a not so
initiated user to press the button and restart the machine - and then the same problem would occur and ...
(i.e. not good)
The standard Ubuntu splash will in this situation start printing the boot messages.
What is the trick in achieving this? I have not been able to find this out yet.

Regards

Hans höök

Hans, this is not a bug in the software I created, but in usplash itself, I have been in the same boat... imagine the disk check on a 1 Terabyte drive raid or not takes serious time. I had to go into safe mode before I realized what was "really" happening. File a bug on launchpad if it is already not there (most likely it is).

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby DenKain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:45 pm

LeadFingers wrote:Are you using Ultimate Edition?
There are a few dependencies missing in the Ubuntu release.
I believe TheeMahn shows which you need, if you reread the entire thread.
Since it was designed to run on Ultimate Edition it may not work so well with anything else.
If you are using Ultimate Edition I apologize.

Yes I am using Ubuntu 7.10 and I already had "imagemagick" installed as TheeMahn suggested and it still does not work for me.
DenKain
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Proog » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:57 pm

DenKain wrote:Yes I am using Ubuntu 7.10 and I already had "imagemagick" installed as TheeMahn suggested and it still does not work for me.

Had the same problem on Hardy (Beta). The reason were missing header files needed by the Makefile. Try installing libc6-dev, that solved the problem for me.

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install libc6-dev

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Well, now i get a *.so file, but that doesnt work properly :( . Using it, i only see any bootsplash in 640x480 256 color (8Bit) mode and then the colors all get wrong. Ill try to investigate this some more. Does the script definitely work properly in Ultimate Edition for all resolutions and color depths and with every (common) type of input graphic, or are there any restrictions?
Proog
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby red_team316 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:11 pm

TheeMahn, whats your progress on this? I noticed the first post mentions bugs, but from my testing, nothing seemed to work quite right.

The update still updates everytime, and when I build the .so (after I fixed the makefile generation, use /t instead of spaces for the indents) apparently all of the resolutions are not compiled, resulting in the source C file pointing to images that dont exist...If your going to do this, then the C file needs to be dynamically built like the makefile. Also, the 1280x1024 throbber has the wrong size, it should be 216x8.

I spent last night revamping my usplashmagick code much better. Once I add some more resolutions to the C file and other code, I'll post it for you.
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby MrPC » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Hey TheeMan, was wondering what I am doing wrong, I have installed the RC1 of Hardy Heron (Hefty Hank):-) added TUM it seems to be working as I watch the working directory I am using the Ultimate Edition 1.8 wallpaper to make a so file all seems ok but on restart its a black screen and the throbber is white no progress shown
any ideas is greatly appreciated
Ultimate Edition The Journey Begins Here
Say no To The Cartel and Yes To Freedom
MrPC
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby Arutha » Sat May 10, 2008 8:57 am

Hello,

I use Hardy Heron with all updates, and I've installed MakeUsplash as described, and I've also installed the libc6-dev. Here is the problem:

- dialog pops up twice, instead of only once
- .so file is created, but it doesn't work, not even on 640x480/8bit (I see a mostly black screen, and a color-distorted, barely recognizable progress bar)

Also, I have downloaded the Ultimate DVD, and tried to make the usplash theme there. The MakeUsplash script doesn't seem to work "out of the box", because it says that MakeUsplash was an old version, and that the new version 1.3 had been installed, and that I should re-run the script. So I close all nautilus windows and then simply try it again, but the same message comes again and again. It only works after I repeat all installation steps. The .so theme created in this way shows the same problem as the ones created in Hardy Heron (when used in Hardy Heron).

Is it because my starting image is a jpg file? I've also tried converting it to png with GIMP, but that also failed... maybe I did something wrong? Are there restrictions to the aspect ratio?
This is the file I use: http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0309094/vista.jpg
Any help appreciated - I just want to make a really basic theme, I don't even need a progress bar. But the instructions I found to make it manually, are not easy to understand for an ex-windows user, and it's also a pity that I can't look into the .so file (so that I could simply replace the image inside, for exampe).
Arutha
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.4 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Tue May 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Well now I suppose, not that I have time to update it (building or so wanting to do so Ultimate Edition 1.8 32 bit) I had to manually convert images to 8 bit indexed with gimp to make your Ultimate Edition 1.8 & compile by hand. I have bit off far more then I can chew. There are over 9000 posts here and seems like get buried 1000 a week & increasing, I have now accepted I can not "maintain" this board, and this website sees the "lowest" amount of traffic. No promises, I may dump all this site is about and only talk with programmers. I just don't have time, I want to help others. I am hammered believe that, in multiple directions. I count on my mods & admin, way too much.

I wrote that to "expedite" creation of my O/S and does not even work in my own O/S now... When I have time that will vanish. I also have the plans to write software that "will rock the *nix world", to you as a end user no change (minus 1 thing I won't point out to you & you would know no difference), I am going to change "the big picture", watch. My admin if they understand stuff that heavy understand what I refer to.

If I get the time will address all issues here, if I go solid programming, pretty much count on it. I do a ton of things most do not even see, this bides my time as well. We shall see. I will be honest when I am programming no matter how many hours, even my girlfriend says nothing to me. Once I set in I am gone... I do feel bad for those that do not understand. 100% concentration. Funny "you" did not see a prob with it until hardys release.... Thousands see it, I feel you...

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Programming