Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Programming in Linux

Source code I have written openly published for your viewing pleasure.

Programming in Linux

Postby Redeemed » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:02 am

What does programming in linux look like?? is there an IDE or is it all text based?? how does it work? what are the most commmon languages ect ect :) Also, what compilers are there...what is used for devoplement??
Laptop Specs
Intel core 2 Duo Proessor 2.00 GHZ
200GB serial ATA hard disk Drive
1.3 mp Webcam
(Everything else is Onboard)
Redeemed

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Programming in Linux

Postby ixnod » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Redeemed wrote:What does programming in linux look like?? is there an IDE or is it all text based?? how does it work? what are the most commmon languages ect ect :) Also, what compilers are there...what is used for devoplement??

Yes there is indeed an IDE for a variety of of languages, also there are text based sessions also.

are you interested in programming or programming in/for linux?

please feel free to discuss this more
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Redeemed » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:00 pm

heck yeeah! i would love to learn how to do it. I've been studying command line and just the general guts of linux to see how it works. It would be awesome if i could learn hwo to programm in linux.
Laptop Specs
1.3 mp Webcam
Redeemed

Postby ixnod » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:33 pm

so far as learning how to program, their are a plethora of sources, so far as an actual environment to code in,go over to applications then highlight the programming section. That should give you an idea of the IDEs that are available
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Postby red_team316 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Yea, choosing an IDE is somewhat based on what language you want to program. I like Kdevelop. I think there also is Dev-C++ for linux but I haven't tried it.
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Redeemed » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:05 am

Ok...and if there was one language to be learned for linux what would you guys suggest it be? (honestly i already know VB but i don't imagine that works too well in linux)
Laptop Specs
1.3 mp Webcam
Redeemed

Postby tuxsax » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:57 pm

According to what the market shows, I think a lot are moving into python, they say it's relatively simple, flexible, strong...

I may dig into it too one day...
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby red_team316 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:05 am

I would say that python is probably a good starting point. Starting with C would give you more appreciation for programming in general, but will require a little bit more learning. I personally think that the fact that a C-based programming language was my first, it has made me a better or at least more knowledgable programmer. With python though, the syntax is fairly straightforward and easy to understand, but the best part about python imo is being able to give someone else your .py file and they don't need any real extensive programming knowledge to run the program.
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby Redeemed » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:05 am

Thats cool i'll check out both at the same time b/c if i'm not mistaken python is just OO scripting like perl right??
Laptop Specs
1.3 mp Webcam
Redeemed

Postby tuxsax » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Yep, similar to perl in matters of what it does, you write a script, the engine in the PC reads and runs it.
Perl is a little more comlex, but still not impossible to learn, there are online courses for it, I've started once one named "Perl in 21 Days" they recommend you to do what you need in the day 1 and not keep going, wait till tomorrow and continue with day 2, etc. It's a good course, I think it's even downloadable in PDF format.
I guess there are similar documents for python too.
C is a higer level and will give you programming power, and for someone that knows C all the rest are peace of cake, you can find a lot of similarities between programming languages, the more you see and learn, the easier new ones seem to you. The basics and programming logics are very similar to each other, but I couldn't find an easy way to learn C alone, it's too hard for me, so I prefer to start from easier ones.
Anyway, I think no matter language you chose, keep in mind that bash scripting is also something interesting, useful and will help you in the future, sometimes you HAVE to combine some bash in your perl or python scripts. So if you're into linux, start by learning bash to the depth of it, I've seen crazy and sophisticated scripts made in bash, if used right, it can be very powerful too.
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Next

Return to Programming