Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Usplash Maker 1.04

Source code I have written openly published for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Usplash Maker

Postby red_team316 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:05 pm

sudo apt-get install libc6-dev build-essential

Sorry, I typed the build-essential dependancy wrong earlier. That should get you up and running
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby golinux » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:46 pm

red_team316 wrote:sudo apt-get install libc6-dev build-essential

Sorry, I typed the build-essential dependancy wrong earlier. That should get you up and running

Another brick wall. :( I tried several times from terminal and Synaptic. Same result. Bummer . . .

Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main linux-libc-dev 2.6.24-19.34
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  linux-libc-dev
Suggested packages:
  glibc-doc manpages-dev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libc6-dev linux-libc-dev
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 136 not upgraded.
Need to get 4039kB of archives.
After this operation, 17.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main linux-libc-dev 2.6.24-19.34
  404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main libc6-dev 2.7-10ubuntu3 [3344kB]
Fetched 3344kB in 9min38s (5781B/s)                                           
Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/linux-libc-dev_2.6.24-19.34_i386.deb  404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
golinux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition KDE4

Postby red_team316 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:16 pm

Thats odd, try installing make, libc6 is one of it's dependancies

if your repos are borked, then do an apt-get -f install
and dpkg --configure -a
several times to make sure a package isn't screwing something up.
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby golinux » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:18 am

red_team316 wrote:Thats odd, try installing make, libc6 is one of it's dependancies

if your repos are borked, then do an apt-get -f install
and dpkg --configure -a
several times to make sure a package isn't screwing something up.

make and makedev are already installed. I'm going to try on Mint now.
golinux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby golinux » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:39 pm

FINALLY!!! Got it working this morning on Ubuntu Gutsy. Here's how . . .

Last night I tried on Mint. It downloaded the linux-libc-dev (from the Hardy repos that Ubuntu couldn't connect to) but there were still problems with TUM. I called it a night and went to bed.

This morning I transferred the linux-libc-dev package from Mint to the Ubuntu /var/cache/apt/archives to see if that would do the trick. Nope it was a newer version than the one Ubuntu was trying to download.

I figured it had to be an update issue since I hadn't really done any updates on this install. So I went through the list of about 200 and selected 19MB of those that I figured might relate to the roadblock. About 1.5 hours later (remember dialup), I tried again to install libc6 via terminal and this time it found the package I copied from Mint and everything installed.

Once this was done TUM worked from terminal in the image folder. For some reason the right click option has never appeared in the NoExperimental version of the script. Do you have any idea why? Both MakeUsplash and MakeUsplash 1.04 were available from right click.

Thanks so much for the time and effort you've put into the script and hand-holding my bumbling attempts to get it working. I'm sooo happy!!

Maybe the new revised version should have it's own thread? Or at least a note and link to the new script on the first page of the current one.

<BREW> <BREW> <BREW> <BREW> <BREW> <BREW> <BREW>
golinux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby red_team316 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:52 pm

Sounds good. Glad you finally got it to work. I'll look into the NoExperimental script later tongiht through Nautilus. Maybe it has something to do with the length of the filename or spaces or the fact that it also has "Make Usplash 1.04 in the name".

I'd suggest, just getting rid of the other scripts in the nautilus folder and renaming it to MakeUsplash(as it shouldn't update unless a 1.05 is released).
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby golinux » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:14 pm

red_team316 wrote:Sounds good. Glad you finally got it to work. I'll look into the NoExperimental script later tonight through Nautilus. Maybe it has something to do with the length of the filename or spaces or the fact that it also has "Make Usplash 1.04 in the name".

I'd suggest, just getting rid of the other scripts in the nautilus folder and renaming it to MakeUsplash(as it shouldn't update unless a 1.05 is released).

I was thinking it might be the length of the name or spaces also. I'll try renaming next time I boot Hardy. I have always only kept the current working script in the nautilus-scripts folder so no house keeping to be done there.

red-team ROX!
golinux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby golinux » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:15 pm

OK, I renamed everything to MakeUsplash and that didn't make it available on right click. I rebooted and even ran sudo killall nautilus but nada.
golinux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby red_team316 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:43 pm

Go to the .gnome2/nautilus scripts directory and do:
Code: Select all
sudo chmod +x "Make Usplash 1.04 NoExperimental"

I think you can right click it too and check the make script executable box to do the same thing. TheeMahn noted the chmod part in the first post. I just forgot to chmod it on my system before tarring it up.

Hopefully now your golden.
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby golinux » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Ba-da-boom! The script is now clickable. I'm soooo happy. Thanks again.
golinux
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

PreviousNext

Return to Programming