Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Usplash Maker 1.04

Source code I have written openly published for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Usplash Maker 1.04

Postby Cab » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Congrats Redteam!
Mother Board: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO WIFI
CPU: AMD 2700X
Memory: 32GB CORSAIR PRO RGB @3200
Video Card: EVGA GTX1080 FTW
Hard Drives: 1TB Network Drive, 1TB 860 EVO SSD, 1TB 970 EVO M.2
I'm in Southern New Mexico, USA (not Mexico)
Cab
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby red_team316 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:44 am

Wow, thats alot of info packed into one post. I saw the site down and the paypal thing, looks like things are back now :) I'm sure the bandwidth will pay off in the long run.

Python frontend, sounds nice. Should be easier in the long run. Yea, pretty much have all the low-end code like converting images/creating makfiles/creation of C code/etc in little bash scripts as they are currently. Then calling them from the main code would make it really flexible.

TRUM... I'm assuming the R is redteam. I don't mind at all. Although I'll have to consult my dictionary to see if it's a real word lol. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trum
hmm how about trump(maybe the p could be for python?), as trump is also a powerful word when talking about cards. I think it would be fitting as there is a splashy creator...

I'm looking forward to 2.0 :)
As far as putting it up on the repo, I don't see any problem with it. As you said, there are some packages for for programmers. As long as it is labeled as such(sorta-like libusplash-dev), I don't see any reason why not to.

Wow, thanks for the admin status, I'll have to check out whats changed.
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:40 am

red_team316 wrote:Wow, thats alot of info packed into one post. I saw the site down and the paypal thing, looks like things are back now :) I'm sure the bandwidth will pay off in the long run.

Python frontend, sounds nice. Should be easier in the long run. Yea, pretty much have all the low-end code like converting images/creating makfiles/creation of C code/etc in little bash scripts as they are currently. Then calling them from the main code would make it really flexible.

TRUM... I'm assuming the R is redteam. I don't mind at all. Although I'll have to consult my dictionary to see if it's a real word lol. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trum
hmm how about trump(maybe the p could be for python?), as trump is also a powerful word when talking about cards. I think it would be fitting as there is a splashy creator...

I'm looking forward to 2.0 :)
As far as putting it up on the repo, I don't see any problem with it. As you said, there are some packages for for programmers. As long as it is labeled as such(sorta-like libusplash-dev), I don't see any reason why not to.

Wow, thanks for the admin status, I'll have to check out whats changed.

I am going to "call you out" open to the public, believe me you have earned your right to be here, I will drop you my latest and greatest work in deb format do not expect it to work extract it and add your code or feel free to modify it as you see fit. Please refresh my mind if you have not seen it within 2 days, I am sorry I am typically swamped.

This is one of 2 area's I actually respond to, I would be hammered otherwise and why you are there, as well as other elected "officials". I do have to draw a line Distro writer today, programmer tomorrow, repo creator the day after, fix X amount of users problems the day after, write a webpage the next, fighting a losing battle pretending to win.

Funny I had an mod tell me I am multitasking, this really cuts the cake - I do 1 thing at a time, but do it so well that there is no question in what I did, I just wish I had the time to do what I call "my job", I hate to tell you it is not programming, if I can convert a few million users from the grasp of windows each time I drop a release "that should be my job", do you not agree? Ultimately I am here to do just that.

Writing software, I am sure you have seen that I have written I do not have the time to maintain, python is coming to you believe it ( Iwrote . I also write custom debs, oh sorry that was not on the list, and hosted though my repo. Some you can get no-where else but mine. Blows bag do you want to learn what it take to be a repoman? I am trying to rid all of those things listed so I can be one of "you guys". I have already written repo software, I tried to get Cab to do the same it is heavy when it come to package breakage, I will say no more please volunteer. It is no wonder I want to quit.

PM me if u have not had a delivery 2 days from now,

TheeMahn

EDIT: Better make that 3 days Sunday is my lady and I's day
Attachments
question.png
incase you question, written august, I want if nothing else take it over,
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby wladicus » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:30 pm

Post by red_team316 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:04 pm
Get rid of all instances of 1.03 script as you won't need it lingering around by accident. Forgive me, the 404 is obviously dead on. The site has been thru several overhauls for various reasons for awhile, I'll look into getting it uploaded. I left the attachment there that way you can install it manually too. Grab the TUM-DATA.tar.gz from the first post in the 1.04 thread and follow the instructions on where to place it. It appears that is the only problem I see. The fact that you did not have TUM-DATA caused a chain reaction of errors.

It's probably a good idea for you to continue the discussion there. I'll close this thread for now unless someone else sees fit to reopen it as it was split in the first place to separate the two and kept for changelog/archival purposes. See ya there!

Hi red_team316.
Thank you for your quick response. I actually had the TUM-DATA files all properly installed and all instances of the 1.03 scripts had been removed before I installed the 1.04 scripts.
This time the programme actually produced a '.so' file. The file however was invalid when I tried to preview it in Usplash Switcher. The actual error response was "This seems to be an Invalid Theme." I ran Usplash Maker using both a '.png' image and a '.jpg' image (unsuccessful result with both). [ Just in case I didn't mention it before, I am running Kubuntu 8.04.1 ]
Everything happening in the terminal window seems to have executed without a problem, yet the resulting '.so' file is invalid. The image files I used were regular RGB colour produced in Gimp 2.6. Resolution: 1387 x 1040 pixels ... 72 x 72 ppi ... Total: 1442480 pixels ... image flattened to 1 layer.
Is there something I am missing?

Thank you for your time,
Last edited by wladicus on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walt,
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_kubuntu 8.04.1 LTS (Hardy Heron)_/_/_/
St. Thomas, Ontario = 42.77° N, 81.11° W =
Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC)
wladicus
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.0 32 BIT

Postby red_team316 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:09 am

Actually load the theme with usplash-switcher or SUM. I can tell you that usplash-switcher may say a particular usplash is invalid (such as my parallax usplash since the code and images are non-standard). If you reboot and end up with a blank bootscreen or it drops to console text, then the usplash probably is messed up somehow.

My main partition is Kubuntu 8.04.1 also so there shouldn't be a problem there. Try posting the image you are using. I'm not sure why you started with such an odd resolution but it will resize the image to standard 4:3 ratios for the usplash.

I prefer to use PNG's and would reccommend others use those too.
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby wladicus » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:50 pm

Post by red_team316 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:09 pm ... I'm not sure why you started with such an odd resolution but it will resize the image to standard 4:3 ratios for the usplash.

Hi red_team316.
Thank you for your help. Yes, it worked fine. The answer to your query quoted above is: My original image was 640 x 480, so I used Gimp 2.6 to scale it up to 1280 x 1024 ( as that was the size that TheeMahn had originally suggested ). After saving the image in Gimp I saw that Gimp had changed the settings to the odd values of 1387 x 1040 pixels, so I left it at that.

The Usplash comes up fine now but the bar that shows the loading progress cuts across the word Kubuntu in my image so I will have to move it down about 1.5" (Unless there is a relatively simple way to reposition the loading progress bar).

Thank you again for your help,
Last edited by wladicus on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walt,
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_kubuntu 8.04.1 LTS (Hardy Heron)_/_/_/
wladicus
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby wladicus » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi red_team316 (or anyone else who might know the answer):
If you could help me with one more item I would very much appreciate it.

After the usplash screen and just before the sign-on screen there is a "messed up", multi-stripped color screen with the usual small white timing circle in the middle. Now that I have introduced my new usplash screen, this "messed-up" screen also shows one row of reduced size usplash (tiled across the screen) with "messed-up" colors also.

Before I ever loaded this new usplash I had that "messed-up" screen. It poses no problems, other than not being particularly pleasing in the regular flow of boot-up events. Is there some way to fix this?

Thank you in advance for your future help.
walt,
wladicus
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby red_team316 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:10 am

I'm guessing you are referring to that your usplash will not fill the entire screen? If thats the case, just edit /etc/usplash.conf to a resoltuion your monitor supports as well as a resolution that is in the usplash. Then do a sudo update-initramfs -u

As far as the messed up colors, you might need to explain a little more.Is it you just don't like the colors it gave you? You are limited to 256 colors so if you have a really intense image, it may be the way it chose what colors are important. Are you running in verbose and can see the text? There shouldn't be any paletting problems with 1.04, but it's possible there could be a bug somewhere in there regardless of if I think it is stable.

Other than that, can you post a picture of what you mean?
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby wladicus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:38 pm

HI red_team316,

Sorry for being not too clear. I meant to get across that the Usplash screen works fine. No problems there. The throbber (progress bar?) was cutting across one of my words on the usplash image but I changed the image to make room for the progress bar (throbber?).

The question in the first post was whether there was a simple way to move the throbber? down by about 1 inch or so.

The question in the second post was in reference to the background screen that appears BEFORE the Greeter Screen for log-in. Usually (as I used to see it) the background screen is blue and has a tiny white-filled circle in the middle of it. That is the way my set-up worked when it was a Wubi installation, and when I booted it from a USB stick.

Now, that I have installed Kubuntu (from the same CD) onto a standalone computer, this background screen appears 'messed-up' with 'grainy' bands of color, and one line consists of a reduced size of 3 images (in series) of my new Usplash screen (which of course is displayed before this pre-greeter background screen. Sorry, but I don't know now to capture an image of this particular screen to show you, although I have seen an image of this same screen posted somewhere before. I tried to use ksnapshot but it does not work during the system loading stage.

The 'messed-up' screen does not affect the operation of the system in any way, but it is not very appealing in the start-up sequence, so I was wondering if there is a fix for this problem.
I thought that I came across a discussion about this problem about a month ago on some forum, but I haven't been able to find it again.
Is this something that can be fixed simply?

Thank you for your time,
walt,
wladicus
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby wladicus » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:26 am

Hi red_team316,
Here are some pictures.
#1. Usplash successfully installed per your instructions: Image
#2. Camera picture of splash screen before log-in/Greeter screen. Notice white solid circle at centre.
___Also note the row of 3 images (in series) of the Usplash screen:Image

I hope that these pictures will provide a better idea of what might be the problem.

Thank you for your time,
walt,
wladicus
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Programming