Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Partitions wrongly sized on installation

News & Events etc. will be posted here.

Partitions wrongly sized on installation

Postby Steve G » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:38 pm

I love Ultimate edition but ALL editions of Ultimate have a common fault - partitions automatically made during the installation process are ALWAYS much too small & within a few days you're running-out of space. This miscalculation is then further compounded when it becomes impossible to delete files to free-up space when you're told the rubbish bin is full when in fact, it's empty.

I have just upgraded from 2.8 to 2.9 when invited to do so when the original system was then completely wrecked (boot files destroyed) alongwith the 2 other systems on seperate partitions on the hard drive including windows 7.
Steve G
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Partitions wrongly sized on installation

Postby dathem » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Steve G wrote:I love Ultimate edition but ALL editions of Ultimate have a common fault - partitions automatically made during the installation process are ALWAYS much too small & within a few days you're running-out of space. This miscalculation is then further compounded when it becomes impossible to delete files to free-up space when you're told the rubbish bin is full when in fact, it's empty.

I have just upgraded from 2.8 to 2.9 when invited to do so when the original system was then completely wrecked (boot files destroyed) along with the 2 other systems on separate partitions on the hard drive including windows 7.

Hello, Glad that you love Ultimate Edition and that you found the forum. But please take some time to read through the forum.
Too me it sounds like you are trying to have too many OS on one drive. Which when you auto install another one there just isn't enough room. There are several options when you install the OS and if you need help, please ask.

Also it is not recommended anywhere on this forum to upgrade Ultimate Edition from one version to another newer version. You need to do a FRESH install. IF you need any help, please ask. If you like to play around with many different OS, (like I do) you might want to get a bigger hard drive or use several hard drives.

Glad to see you here and don't be bashful in asking for any help, if you need it along the way. 3.0 will be GREAT!!

dathem
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby Steve G » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanx for your advice but I was INVITED to upgrade by an onscreen message!

Anyway, fraid to say, I'm ditching ultimate edition - in fact ALL linux systems. They don't make one that's any good.
While I appreciate any attempt to stop Microsofts monopoly I have to say you guys have got to come-up with something better than what's on offer as the advantages simply don't outweigh the huge problems these systems give.

Linux systems ate for geeks who love fixing 'em, not USING 'em.

All Ultimate editions run at snail-pace when the processor seems to be busy doing other things.

Giving-up on Linux completely - going back to windows.
Steve G
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby dathem » Sun May 01, 2011 12:38 am

Steve G wrote:Thanx for your advice but I was INVITED to upgrade by an onscreen message!

Anyway, fraid to say, I'm ditching ultimate edition - in fact ALL linux systems. They don't make one that's any good.
While I appreciate any attempt to stop Microsofts monopoly I have to say you guys have got to come-up with something better than what's on offer as the advantages simply don't outweigh the huge problems these systems give.

Linux systems ate for geeks who love fixing 'em, not USING 'em.

All Ultimate editions run at snail-pace when the processor seems to be busy doing other things.

Giving-up on Linux completely - going back to windows.

Hello, Yes you were invited by a UBUNTU/Conical message BECAUSE Ultimate Edition is based on UBUNTU. Like I mentioned before you should really look over the forum to find the solutions to any of your problems. If you can't find what you need all you need to do is ask. We have tried to find the problems and come up with solutions to make Ultimate Edition easy to use. I use it all the time on several different systems and have set up a number of people's computers where I work. I work at a senior citizen housing complex. I have 80-90 year olds using these systems and they are sure not geeks. You have not given us any info/ specs as to what computer(s) you are using. It is hard to help fix something when you can't see it or touch it. Please, help us help you. Sincerely dathem
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby Steve G » Mon May 02, 2011 10:20 am

I just gave ultimate edition a last try before ditching it. It has just wrecked 4 hours work on a project in Kdenlive.

If I want an operating system that is dependable I USE WINDOWS.
If I want an operating system that DOESN'T screw-up all my work I USE WINDOWS.
If I want an operating system that was deigned by people and not COMPUTERS ON LEGS USE WINDOWS..

GOOD BYE LINUX - HELLO RELIABILITY - WINDOWS
Last edited by Blackwolf on Tue May 03, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed inappropriate language.
Steve G
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Steve G » Mon May 02, 2011 10:29 am

ULTIMATE EDITION is just sheer in-yer-face eccentricity.

It would be helpful if it worked!!
Steve G
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby billhedrick » Mon May 02, 2011 11:17 am

Well, it sounds like you just clicked on a window without doing your due diligence. Yea, Windows is more "finished" or as we like to say more idiot-proofed. Linux requires a more mechanic orientation rather than the soccer mom driver. Sounds like windows is what you need, good luck!
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby Steve G » Mon May 02, 2011 12:47 pm

You guys forget what an operating system is for. It'a all well and good it looking pretty but it's got to work!!

Ultimate is lethargic, it moves at snail-pace, it crashes, no-one knows what the programs are actually supposed to do cause they're called such cryptic names and instructions for linux programs simply ain't written!

Linux is ..................
Last edited by Blackwolf on Tue May 03, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed inappropriate language.
Steve G
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby widget » Mon May 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Steve G wrote:You guys forget what an operating system is for. It'a all well and good it looking pretty but it's got to work!!

Ultimate is lethargic, it moves at snail-pace, it crashes, no-one knows what the programs are actually supposed to do cause they're called such cryptic names and instructions for linux programs simply ain't written!

Linux is crap crap crap.

I think that you are making the right move to go full out with MS. It is a system that folks are used to and there fore think is intuitive (this is the wrong use of the wrong word).

You need a very flexible mind to learn a new OS. You would have the same type of trouble shifting to a Mac or some of the really strange specialized OS' out there.

You need to use the OS that makes you comfortable.

I, personally, see no use for MS and will not allow it in this house. I do not go on MS forums and insult them.
Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz 2x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing and some Ubuntu installs to play with
widget
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Christmas Edition

Postby pclinuxguru » Tue May 03, 2011 11:52 am

wish I would have seen this thread.

The man who speaks to you now has installed Linux on 527 systems to date. All but 6 of them are clients.

What I have seen and know all to well.

Windows has more faults then I can count. Linux once learned has saved me more money and time then imaginable.

Once you learn it, you rock it.

Ultimate Edition or linux at no time sets partitions to small if you actually take the time to think and not just click.

Very simple. 1 to 3 GB to swap and the rest to root / . Or just use the wipe and use all the drive option.

Moving back to windows amounts to nothing more then a money pit for life. It is chuck full of corporate planed bugs and rot for a reason. Big money must keep you Dependant on them for life.

I moved my business to 100% linux some time back. Windows is ONLY offered via special order only. Even then with strict warnings.

Because of this move to linux, I enjoy a reduction of 98.7% in problem calls.

Read threw all your posts, they wreak of lack of understanding and clear prevalent lack of research before you leaped.

All is not lost, Live and learn. Accept the criticism enclosed within.

Move forward and try again, this time ASK and learn. Not sure what your doing (overly prevalent) then ask and read up before you start.

We are here to help at any time.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Return to News and Events