Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 1.7 has been released.

News & Events etc. will be posted here.

Re: Ultimate Edition 1.7 has been released.

Postby kiwinsn » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:06 pm

Don't worry about the partioning....Vista can help...believe it or not!!

For dual booting with Vista, use the shrink option in Administrative Controls (I think) in the Control Panel.
(It's only been a month and I'm forgetting the Windows stuff already!!!)

Defrag first....
Right click the drive you want to partition. Select Shrink.
Use as much space as you can....Click OK.
Reboot with the LiveCD/DVD in your drive. Follow your nose through the instructions.
When it asks about partitions, select Guided - Use available space (or similar_ - NOT manual.

The great thing about this puppy is that it will find the space you freed up, install to that space and then set up the boot loader to ask you if you want to boot Ubuntu or WIndows.

Ubuntu is default so , if you leave it, that's what will boot.

I dual booted for less than a day. Because Ubuntu could see my backup drive in NTFS, I ditched Vista real quick.

This Ultimate Edition 1.7 is great....I'm not going back.

Cheers
System:
Specs to come.
Registered Linux user number: 542342
kiwinsn

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby vinca » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:11 pm

hey thanks a lot i'll try that!!

also, regarding your comment about ubuntu seeing an ntfs drive... i've had some experience with ubuntu 7.10 on my old laptop but it can't see more than one ntfs drive at once after you mount the ntfs media in terminal. Does Ultimate Edition have some sort of tool preinstalled that will help to see, for example, my two WD mybooks and my windows partition?

thanks in advance!
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby kiwinsn » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:42 pm

All I know is that I set up the dual boot, installed Ubuntu to the free space and, after logging in, I could access my backup drive and play music. This backup drive was formatted NTFS.

Sorry...I don't know about the other things you were asking about. Perhaps someone more knowledgable can jump in here.

Cheers
System:
Specs to come.
Registered Linux user number: 542342
kiwinsn

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby vinca » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:44 pm

kiwinsn wrote:All I know is that I set up the dual boot, installed Ubuntu to the free space and, after logging in, I could access my backup drive and play music. This backup drive was formatted NTFS.

Sorry...I don't know about the other things you were asking about. Perhaps someone more knowledgable can jump in here.

Cheers

well... you kinda answered my question anyway... because i assume all you had to do was click on the drive in "computer" and it worked... but in 7.10 you have to mount it in terminal first.
Vinca... aka BIG V

Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Radeon x1600

vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby DaddyX3 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:19 pm

kwinson wrote:When it asks about partitions, select Guided - Use available space (or similar_ - NOT manual.

You haven't taken a look at the HOW-TO section have you? This will walk you through things with the Ultimate Edition side of the install (recommended).
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:24 am

Yes there is a tool just for NTFS access pre-installed for your convenience called NTFS Configuration tool, out of the box Ultimate Edition will allow you to view not write to your NTFS partition, if you want to write to the partition just fire up the tool and select write access (Applications>> System Tools >> NTFS Configuration Tool)
Screenshot-6.png
NTFS Configuration Tool
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby vinca » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:46 am

hey i'm back again :D

i've tried the live cd and my wireless card isn't recognised and neither is my raid configuration.

the wireless card is linksys... i can't find the model # right now but i'll try if u need it :lol:

the raid controller is jmicron 363 on a syba pci express X1 card.

ok thanks in advance
Vinca... aka BIG V

Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Radeon x1600

vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby TheeMahn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:50 pm

vinca wrote:hey i'm back again :D

i've tried the live cd and my wireless card isn't recognised and neither is my raid configuration.

the wireless card is linksys... i can't find the model # right now but i'll try if u need it :lol:

ok thanks in advance

As far as raid mine is "detected" but does not show up until I follow my own raid howto, wireless have you tried ndis wrapper. I need to write a how to for it as well. The neighbours need to get their wireless turned back on so I can verify it works ;)

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby pokkets » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:47 am

Great upgrade, my home files carried from 1.6-1.7 with no trouble (from memory) I think I also included the sbackup defaults etc usr/local/and var, but in the end I stuck with home. Since I like to load the system up with applications, (perhaps just maybe because I can) I have learned to make tar root backup.tgz ,I like the verbose-you know when it's finished, because although I am new to Linux, I like to 'experiment' and was reinstalling the system and starting again, rather than take the time to learn about grub and fstab. My logic has been that lessons learned the hard way are best remembered. It has helped me have a very good memory. The kubuntu-docs problem seemed like it was a nuisance, because I figured if there was a book icon there ought to be something useful in the book. I copied the icon from the live cd, and got an icon. The problem seemed to be solved when I completely removed kubuntu-docs in synaptic and reinstalled it. I've been checking out quite a few Linux systems over the past few months, from Ubuntu, to gamer, Knoppix, Gentoo Mandriva, and fedora amongst others,- one of the reasons I kept reinstalling the system. You can't delete a partition with a default system without screwing grub right up. Most of them were installed over ultimate on grub. The bottom line is that ultimate has stayed my base system, perhaps the one I feel most comfortable with, and I'm glad you put the work in to get it running and keep improving it.. It has made Linux and Ubuntu easier to learn, because it is so interesting out of the box, now with gnome and kde there are more than enough options.Won't stop me playing with more - kde4 seems interesting. Ultimate makes Windows seem like a has been. The log on even inspired me to cut the HAL decommissioning scene in 2001 and make an avi file Titled Daisy. I've always loved the way HAL sings that song.
pokkets
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby vinca » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:28 am

TheeMahn wrote:
vinca wrote:hey i'm back again :D

ok thanks in advance

As far as raid mine is "detected" but does not show up until I follow my own raid howto, wireless have you tried ndis wrapper. I need to write a how to for it as well. The neighbours need to get their wireless turned back on so I can verify it works ;)

TheeMahn

allright... i just have two questions:

1) i assume i follow the RAID instrudtions on the Live CD?

2) if i follow each command exactly besides the ones that are specific to the user, will i have a successful RAID-0 config?
Vinca... aka BIG V

Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Radeon x1600

vinca
U.E. Master