Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Solid State Drive Question

Discuss Hardware related issues here...

Solid State Drive Question

Postby ninjawarrior » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:42 pm

I have an ATA OCZ-Vertex4 256GB SSD, of which I have Ultimate Edition 3.5 installed on. The install went fine, the OS runs like a race car, but I am trying two things to activate "trim". One configuration is from the WEB UPD8 website http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/enable-t ... rives.html The other way is by installing something called "DiskTrim", a GUI you can get on Sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/disktrim/ . I was able to configure the script to work, but I am having an issue trying to install disktrim. I keep getting this error after I try installing the the downloaded .deb file with QApt Package Manager:
PacOpFailed.png

I know this might be off topic, but could anybody give me a clue what this error message means and how I might be able to correct this? The Disktrim web site has little information there accept how to use the program. Anybody out there that has a SSD and uses "Trim" on there linux systems? I know I can use fstrim on the terminal.....
Thanks 8-)
Dell Studio XPS 9100 Quad Multi Core
Intel Core I7 CPU @ 3.20GHz
12 GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
2TB Western Digital HD, 500GB Western Digital HD (secondary drive)
NVIDA GeForce GTS 450

OS: Dual Boot- Windows 7 (64 bit) & Star Sapphire(64 bit)

Image** G-Man**
ninjawarrior

Operating System: Other Linux

Re: Solid State Drive Question

Postby Micro » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:46 pm

Should be enable by default but you can do the following:
open terminal and type
sudo -s
enter password
type nautilus
enter
browse to /etc/fstab
right click and open with your fav text editor
add discard to the device you are adding trim to and close and save then restart.:

UUID=36855ed8-6fa3-4a66-9bd5-306267504e84 / ext4 discard,errors=remount-ro 0 1

There are several ways to edit the fstab, but this gives you a visual of where things are. BTW- Here's how to check if it's working .http://smallbusiness.chron.com/trim-working-linux-29092.html..
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Postby ninjawarrior » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:34 am

Since I am Using Ultimate Edition 3.5, and since the OS can be particular, I save what information that is successful in my trouble shooting. With that said, regarding this SSD issue, I was successfully able to use the daily cron job operation as stated in the WEB UPD8 link: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/enable-t ... rives.html
Using the online discard (fstab) is rather tricky to figure out and placing the discard option in the script (if not done correctly) can cause undesirable results. They do not recommend people to use that option and for me, it just didn`t work correctly. I have a SSD and an internal mechanical hard drive in my system. Which by the way, made it difficult to adjust the script correctly. If a person incorrectly accessed the wrong partition the results obtained will effect the partition used in the script. I made this mistake, but was able to easily correct it using the right partition. Dah!!! Anyways, in using the daily cron job operation all I had to do was edit the script:

#!/bin/sh
LOG=/var/log/trim.log
echo "*** $(date -R) ***" >> $LOG
fstrim -v /dev/sdb1 >> $LOG
fstrim -v /home >> $LOG

Where sdb1 is where my root partition for my SSD drive is located. Here is the log file for the daily cron job:

trim log1.png

I would say that this works just fine!
Dell Studio XPS 9100 Quad Multi Core
Intel Core I7 CPU @ 3.20GHz
12 GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
2TB Western Digital HD, 500GB Western Digital HD (secondary drive)
NVIDA GeForce GTS 450

OS: Dual Boot- Windows 7 (64 bit) & Star Sapphire(64 bit)

Image** G-Man**
ninjawarrior

Postby Micro » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 am

Glad you got it all set up. Just to be clear, if trim is supported and when appending discard to the prefix in the fstab, you need no such script. In fact you dont need anything else than to just add discard to the device line of fstab. I've never seen any issues with editing fstab in conjunction with trim, or even heard of any as stated in your link. But either way your mission is complete. :D
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0