Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Video Board Recommendations

Discuss Hardware related issues here...

Video Board Recommendations

Postby athenroy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:38 pm

O.K., since one of my nemesis seems to be that new "nauveau", well. however it's spelled, nVidia driver, if you were going to buy a new desktop video board that would work on about all Linux Distros, which one would you choose? Not that I'm going to buy one, but I might! Just like some input.
Athenroy
Registered Linux User #534875
HP a6500F 4G RAM Intel E2220 Dual Core CPU
HDDs 500G Hitachi & 1T Hitachi
HDA On-board Sound
Nvidia Geforce 7100 on-board video

OSes: Ultimate Edition 2.9 64 Bit, Bodhi, PinguyOS, Liquid Lemur Beta 2,
PCLinuxOS e17, Ubuntu 11.04-Classic DT, and Win7
athenroy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Re: Video Boaed Recommendations

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:12 pm

If I may.

Your looking at this a bit wrong.

Regardless of what default nvidia driver is pre installed in any distro.

You can easily add what ever driver you want right after install.

Need to add the driver in safe graphics mode ?

Not an issue bud. Lots of ways to get it done and done easy.

I know all to well what drivers your card will work on. Just name the kernel version and I can show ya how to get the debs for simple install.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Re: Video Boaed Recommendations

Postby athenroy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:18 pm

I'll have to check the kernel version on that. I did have one booted in safe mode the other day. I'm sure I can do it with you're help. The thing that really gets me though is that if a noobie who say has never tried Linux, downloads one of these mainstream distros, burns the LiveCD or DVD and the video tears up on him, what is he going to think? I would think it would be far better to ship the distro with a different driver as default than offer the additional drive deal with a warning that this driver may not work on all nVidia video. I'm sure by now the Nuoveau designers must know this, don't they? Everything provided by Ultimate Edition has worked fine, by the way.

I'm going to be tied up probably the rest of the week, but, yes, I would really like to get with you and see if you can help me modify the kernel to use the proper driver. I'm good at hardware, I can usually get an install to do what I want it to, but I've never gotten into the "nuts and bolts" of how it works and would really like to learn. You may need a big club to help it sink into my thick skull, though! But if you're willing to help, I'm willing to learn. Thanks.
Athenroy
Registered Linux User #534875
HP a6500F 4G RAM Intel E2220 Dual Core CPU
HDDs 500G Hitachi & 1T Hitachi
HDA On-board Sound
Nvidia Geforce 7100 on-board video

OSes: Ultimate Edition 2.9 64 Bit, Bodhi, PinguyOS, Liquid Lemur Beta 2,
PCLinuxOS e17, Ubuntu 11.04-Classic DT, and Win7
athenroy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester