Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Can't Find Sata Slave Drive...

Discuss Hardware related issues here...

Can't Find Sata Slave Drive...

Postby Baphomet » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:01 pm

I'm having my first real "issue" with Ultimate v1.9 it seems: Ultimate no can recognize my sata-slave drive. I dual boot with XP and, once I tweaked my BIOS a bit, XP picked up the drive no problem. I formatted the drive using XP's Drive Manager and that went well. Later though, I wondered if that wasn't part of the problem with Ultimate not being able to find the drive... So I decide to fire up my Gparted LiveCD -- I figure I can use it to re-reformat the drive and that this will make Ultimate happy and help it find my drive.

When I boot from the Gparted LiveCD (this disc has worked well in the past) I get the following error:

Detecting root type...
Detecting LOOP type...
Invalid LOOP location: /gparted.dat
Please export LOOP with a valid location... blah, blah, blah...

(# command line:)

ARRRRGHHH!!! What to do?
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Re: Can't Find Sata Slave Drive...

Postby pch.shot » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:12 pm

From what I here, if you run around the block with th HD strapped to your ankle it may fix the problem. Seriously, try unplugging the drive and plugging it back in. Two days ago I installed Winslowze for a friend at my house. Everything was fine. I took it back to his place and the bios suddenly decided the System HD did not exist. I opened up the box unplugged it and plugged it back in and Bingo, it worked. Keep in mind this stuff is made in sweat shops around the world. The boss probably whipped the guy too hard that day and he decided to miss a very important step. pch
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby bpollen » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:54 pm

pch.shot wrote:Seriously, try unplugging the drive and plugging it back in. pch

I have 6 SATA drives in one of my systems, and one of them requires that I unplug and reconnect the cables every month or two... I've tried all 6 cables in the machine, and one from elsewhere, and have had the problem regardless of the cable. It's as if the connectors on the drive are too thin.....

The symptoms usually are similar to what you describe.
44.934157796653814, -93.22175949811935
bpollen

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby apc15x » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:16 pm

Well Baphomet I will add my two cents worth even though you stirred me to Virtual box and then you come back whimpering that you now dual boot with XP and have problems. You probably run all the new people around like this. :lol: Anyway for what it's worth and I am not sure if this is even close, I set up XP first on my SATA drive and then just loaded up Ultimate in a dual boot. I'm not sure if it used Drive Manager but I just loaded it on as if it was going to be the only OS on the drive, so far no problems.

I have 6 SATA drives in one of my systems,

WOW bpollen 6 drives. :o
    Dual Boot Win7 64 / Ultimate 2.4 x 64
    CPU: Intel Core 2Duo 3.0 E8400 Wolfdale 45nm
    MB: Intel Desktop DG31PR-1333
    Ram: 4GB DDR2 800 mhz
    Video: Intel Media Accelerator 3100
    Hard Disk: Sata WD 500GB
    20X DVD Burner
    Seagate 500 GB External Hard Drive
apc15x
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby bpollen » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:45 pm

apc15x wrote:
I have 6 SATA drives in one of my systems,

WOW bpollen 6 drives. :o

See, I couldn't afford to buy a BIG drive, so I've increased my HD capacity a puny drive at a time. Tho puny is a relative term. Back when I was running a BBS, I used to have people say "Wow, you've got a 600meg drive! How will you ever fill it???"
bpollen

Postby SaddleTramp » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:55 pm

Baph...I read somewhere if you have a BIOS setting for PATA...disable it and see if the SATA is picked up then...once you have your installs done, then go back and enable PATA (BIOS) and see what happens...

Bp...What Pwr Supply with 6 SATA Pwr connectors are you using??? I just put in my third (from another system) and I was lucky it had a regular 12v plug...only have 2 SATA pwr connectors on my HP supply (cheap b$%^&*#'s)...
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby bpollen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:51 am

SaddleTramp wrote:Bp...What Pwr Supply with 6 SATA Pwr connectors are you using??? I just put in my third (from another system) and I was lucky it had a regular 12v plug...only have 2 SATA pwr connectors on my HP supply (cheap b$%^&*#'s)...

Only got 4 connectors on the power supply...a Cooler Master 500W NewEgg special. ($39.99 .... but wait! If you order now, we are going to include this electric cat-sharpener, two muffler-bearing extractors, and this fine wagon made entirely out of waffles!!! Operators are standing by... and would really like to sit down.) Then I bought a couple of standard-to-sata converters.
bpollen

Postby SaddleTramp » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:24 am

bpollen wrote:
SaddleTramp wrote:Bp...What Pwr Supply with 6 SATA Pwr connectors are you using??? I just put in my third (from another system) and I was lucky it had a regular 12v plug...only have 2 SATA pwr connectors on my HP supply (cheap b$%^&*#'s)...

Only got 4 connectors on the power supply...a Cooler Master 500W NewEgg special. ($39.99 .... but wait! If you order now, we are going to include this electric cat-sharpener, two muffler-bearing extractors, and this fine wagon made entirely out of waffles!!! Operators are standing by... and would really like to sit down.) Then I bought a couple of standard-to-sata converters.

Wow...I could really use that extractor (hmmmm..where's my phone LMAO) Thanks Bp...
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Baphomet » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:37 pm

Angel wrote:I have no experience with Sata but did fine these....might not help but interesting reading...
Okay Babe-O-Licious one, those links WERE good for a short-term woody but, unfortunately, little else. Mainly related to SATA boot drive situations... I'm over that hump <heh> but while both the system BIOS and Windows register the drive, 'buntu seems to want to play hard to get. Or coquettish school-girl... Or naughty babysitter... Or... Well, you get the idea.

SaddleTramp wrote:...I read somewhere if you have a BIOS setting for PATA...disable it and see if the SATA is picked up then...once you have your installs done, then go back and enable PATA (BIOS) and see what happens...
I'm not familiar with a setting to disable PATA, but I'll take a look. That idea kinda leaves me scratching my pointy head, but I'll look around and see what I can find. I've already disabled ACHI (for IDE) which is pretty much a royal pisser, but maybe if I can get the drive to be recognized I can inch my way back in. Who the f--k knows??!!

bpollen wrote:... but wait! ... this fine wagon made entirely out of waffles!!!
HOLY S--T!! I'll take *two!

(*Pays extra for "Rush Processing"!!!)

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Baphomet » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:45 pm

Angel wrote:LMAO just don't treat it like a naughty babysitter, might get more than you bargained for LMAO

Turns out you were right. Fortunately, I was prepared.

<BREW>

/Good time, had by all.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Hardware