Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

video card swap-ATI to Nvidia

Discuss Hardware related issues here...

video card swap-ATI to Nvidia

Postby jiminid » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi everybody,
swapped out an ATI radeon hd 2600 pro for an evga nvidia 8600 gts mainly cause the drivers for the ati hummed whales, anyway, I lost my ultimate edition that I had just finished upgrading to my liking, of course,.
Was able to get my mepis back by going into the live cd and doing a repair to nvidia, Is there anything similiar with ultimate 1.8 64? Don't want to have to reinstall if possible, altho theemahn's ultimatix is the bomb! Great job! I can see the via de la newb from my front porch and anything that makes things easier is much appreciated.

So, how do I go in and switch my drivers from ATI to Nvidia without having to reinstall everything?

thanks for all of your help!
jiminid
Remember what the doormouse said...
MSI K9NBPM2-FID motherboard, AMD x2 5200, 4 GB pc-800 ddr2 ram, 2-320 GB WD sata 2 HD's, evga 8600 gts 256 mb ddr3, samsung 20x sata dvd/cd burner, floppy/card reader.
jiminid
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Re: video card swap-ATI to Nvidia

Postby SaddleTramp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:59 pm

jiminid wrote:Hi everybody,
swapped out an ATI radeon hd 2600 pro for an evga nvidia 8600 gts mainly cause the drivers for the ati hummed whales, anyway, I lost my ultimate edition that I had just finished upgrading to my liking, of course,.
Was able to get my mepis back by going into the live cd and doing a repair to nvidia, Is there anything similiar with ultimate 1.8 64? Don't want to have to reinstall if possible, altho theemahn's ultimatix is the bomb! Great job! I can see the via de la newb from my front porch and anything that makes things easier is much appreciated.

So, how do I go in and switch my drivers from ATI to Nvidia without having to reinstall everything?

thanks for all of your help!

Howdy jim...Apps/Sys Tools/EnvyNG....you can select to remove ATI drivers...then install nVidia...that should do it for you... :D 8-)
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby jiminid » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:56 pm

SaddleTramp wrote:Howdy jim...Apps/Sys Tools/EnvyNG....you can select to remove ATI drivers...then install nVidia...that should do it for you... :D 8-)

Thanks SaddleTramp
Go into the live cd to do this?
jiminid
MSI K9NBPM2-FID motherboard, AMD x2 5200, 4 GB pc-800 ddr2 ram, 2-320 GB WD sata 2 HD's, evga 8600 gts 256 mb ddr3, samsung 20x sata dvd/cd burner, floppy/card reader.
jiminid
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby SaddleTramp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:28 pm

jiminid wrote:
SaddleTramp wrote:Howdy jim...Apps/Sys Tools/EnvyNG....you can select to remove ATI drivers...then install nVidia...that should do it for you... :D 8-)

Thanks SaddleTramp

No...it wouldn't take in the LiveCD (that runs in Memory, no changes saved :) ) Just boot into 1.8x64 (intalled on your hard drive) and run EnvyNG there :D
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby LeadFingers » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:02 pm

If I understand correctly, You already swapped your Ati for Nvidia and when you rebooted you were greeted by that nifty black screen, Yes?

Solution #1:
Use this if you are always connected to the net
Hit Esc at the first sign of Grub
Select Recovery mode
Wait for everything to load, it will dump you at the prompt.
Type
Code: Select all
sudo envyng

this will start EnvyNG
choose to install your Nvidia drivers.
it will automatically uninstall your Ati drivers and install the correct ones for Nvidia.
when it's done reboot and it should dump you at your desktop

Solution #2
use this if you manually connect to the net
Hit Esc at the first sign of Grub
Select Recovery mode
Wait for everything to load, it will dump you at the prompt.
Type
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

this will bring up GUI to reconfigure your xorg and set you up with a generic video driver to get you to your desktop. follow the directions and answer several questions, when it's done reboot normally.
Once you're at your desktop connect to the net and hit EnvyNg.
select install Nvidia drivers and let it do it's thing.

If you still have issues, post back and we will get you going
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby SaddleTramp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:52 pm

I was taking it that it was booting up with the generic vid drivers...thought it would have being the new nVidia card was installed and it would have brought up the 'Configure' vid box...
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby jiminid » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:45 pm

SaddleTramp wrote:
jiminid wrote:

Thanks SaddleTramp

No...it wouldn't take in the LiveCD (that runs in Memory, no changes saved :) ) Just boot into 1.8x64 (intalled on your hard drive) and run EnvyNG there :D

Thanks, Saddletramp,
but none of that worked, not sure why, kept kicking me into a config screen and after I had chosen my monitor and a basic nvidia card took me to a blank page. oh well wanted to increase the Ultimate Edition partition anyway so I reinstalled into a nice new 100 gb partition. now to get ultamatix rolling and I'll be set.
Thanks again for your help.
8-)
jiminid
jiminid
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby SaddleTramp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks SaddleTramp
Go into the live cd to do this?[/quote]
No...it wouldn't take in the LiveCD (that runs in Memory, no changes saved :) ) Just boot into 1.8x64 (intalled on your hard drive) and run EnvyNG there :D[/quote]

Thanks, Saddletramp,
but none of that worked, not sure why, kept kicking me into a config screen and after I had chosen my monitor and a basic nvidia card took me to a blank page. oh well wanted to increase the Ultimate Edition partition anyway so I reinstalled into a nice new 100 gb partition. now to get ultamatix rolling and I'll be set.
8-)[/quote]
jim..sorry that didn't work for you...but did you try what Leadfingers suggested??
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:32 pm

another option...

press ctrl-alt-F3 it should drop you to a terminal login and enter the following:
sudo envyng -t

This will run envyng in textmode uninstall the ati drivers and reboot

repeat the above step and install nvidia drivers reboot and you should be set.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby jiminid » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:37 pm

SaddleTramp wrote:Thanks SaddleTramp

No...it wouldn't take in the LiveCD (that runs in Memory, no changes saved :) ) Just boot into 1.8x64 (intalled on your hard drive) and run EnvyNG there :D[/quote]

Thanks, Saddletramp,
8-)[/quote]
jim..sorry that didn't work for you...but did you try what Leadfingers suggested??[/quote]

No, I'm afraid I missed Ultimate Edition too much. Had to get back into this rockin ops. BTW great advice leadfingers. Yes I did swap out my ati for my new nvidia before I removed the drivers. :oops: Thanks again to both of you for helping out. If I could only figure out a way to get rid of the horrible dot matrix ubuntu grub screen, I'd wipe the rest of my linux ops off the drive and just stay with Ultimate Edition.
8-)
jiminid
jiminid
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Hardware