Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Dual booting

You vote how Ultimate Edition should look....

Dual booting

Postby compizshell » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Havent used "proper dual boot " in a few years , When i use to have it the easiest way i found was to have a very small partition approx 300Mb that contained the master boot record. I found this a lot easier to recover when something went wrong.(just read forum where someone was having trouble with dual boot)

Lately ive fallen in love with Wubi installers option to install linux within windows itself (you still have access to all of windows filesystem through "Host" folder and essentially it runs exactly the same as a dual boot (no reduced performance and i have stress tested it thoroughly) on top of that it is the most painless thing i have ever encountered to remove /repair/reinstall.
I despise Unity after testing 11.04 ubuntu, 3 questions

1/ do the compiz restricted extras work reasonably painlessly in the latest Ultimate Edition ?. I couldnt even get cube to work on 11.04 Ubuntu without turning off the automatic plugin sorting(which then cripples the GUI for CCSM)

2/ Does either Ultimate Edition or Ultimate Edition OZ come with wubi as default ?

(now the hard question)
3/ Ultimate Edition or the OZ edition for a 1st time user to these distro's ?

P.S. loved the guide i found here for 3d animated models within CCSM cube :twisted:
compizshell
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Christmas Edition

Re: Dual booting

Postby JOHNNYG » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 pm

First as for Natty, At login you can choose to boot to the now (Unity) Ubuntu, or "Ubuntu classic" which is separate CCSM and will allow you to use the cube, But as for now, Only those plugins that come with 11.04 can be used,no 3D models, Atlantis and such ! as they have changed compiz ! I am working on getting these plugins working again !

Yes all the plugins that I supplied you the link to in your other post will work in Ultimate Edition 2.9 !

Wubi is NOT available in Ultimate Edition 2.9, And I am unsure about OZ Unity Debut, as (Like a cheep maid) I don't do windows! and have always booted via Grub, Even when I was using the virus trap ! I now boot Seven OSs ! :o Via grub2 and have had Zero Issues !

Your last Question is a loaded one ! :lol: That is up to you ! why not Both ! <BREW>
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Great minds think alike lol

Was going to post to this thread, decided not to. Kuz I didn't quite like your choice of dual boot.

Setup MANY dual boot systems, I like simple . Fast and easy as well as effective.

Install windows, then linux and let grub or grub2 do the work.

Select at startup, NEVER had issues with this.

If it wasn't for a very select windows client base that is shrinking by the day, I would not even have windows installed at all lol.

Never ending money pit and headache maker there.

As for the last question, I use both OZ unity and Ultimate Edition 2.9 in dual triple or quad boot depending on distro being tested at the time. Problem solved ........... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby compizshell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks for the quick input ,I tried the Ubuntu "classic" option(i want it all or not at all, great that compiz is now getting supported by canonical . some of the most unique and genious ppl there at compiz). Games are my main reason for windows (i know wine is great but still not there yet) . Years ago there was a limit to how many primary partitions you could have on a drive, 7 OS's wow that does sound usefull ,Im just a little wary of grub from experience with it so many yrs ago ( Supergrub recovery OS disc right next to computer atm though :? ).
The main reason im trying ubuntu again is because the partitions issue is not there at all(but its seems you are limited to dual boot and no more), its like a pretent dual boot and because of that i think its a great tool for converting many that are still Windows only type of people.

after this last week's experience,i think i might go get a new HDD just for linux.Will be trying both Ultimate Edition and OZ soon :geek:

P.S. all flatmates are quite amazed at linux atm , theyde never seen it before and for one (that works for mining company ) whos more practically interested after i showed him all the FREE scientific tools, and ease of access to them.
compizshell
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Christmas Edition

Postby JohnTN » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:57 pm

The limits on how many bootable partitions is constantly changing. I know you can have 15, since that is how many I am running on one of my computers (the one I use to play with new OS's).

Using a 2G HD I partitioned it into 17 partitions. As I recall 3 primary, one swap,and 16 extended. The first 2 are 50G, the extended all 30G.

# 1 and 2 are linux, #3 in ntfs and 1.5G.

The main problem is that each new install wants to take over grub, so you have to learn grub well enough to modify it back to your preferred configuration for each new install. I am 69, so if I can do it ....

The method I now prefer is to alternate boot to different HD's, which most newer computers allow. It is a pain but I've found it easiest to disconnect the other HD's when doing a new install to prevent GRUB from trying to take over :) This is where those old HD's you no longer use become useful. They are perfect for playing with new Linux OS's.

Another option for using those old drives is the USB external HD boxes (if you're computer allows booting from USB). An 80G in one of those will let you play with at least 2 Linux OS's :)

My experience, John
JohnTN
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Multi booting

Postby megaptera » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:19 pm

If you have a spare few hours ...

How to install and boot 145 operating systems in a PC

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147959
:o :o
megaptera

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby pch.shot » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:16 am

You also have the option of running an os with either virtual box or vmware player:
https://www.virtualbox.org/
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Return to Have Ultimate Edition your way.