Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Locking up

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 3.8

Locking up

Postby S3KshuN8 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:37 pm

This makes the third time in recent weeks that the entire display has freezed, forcing me to kill the system with the power button. Is there a log that might show what is causing this? When it happens, internet activity continues, and the mouse continues to move, but clicking doesn't register. It's very frustrating, and I worry that it could lead to data corruption. This may sound like a dumb question, but how do I run a check of the file system?
Dell Inspiron laptop:
Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4GHz (quad core); 4GB RAM;
200GB HDD (dual-boot) Win 7 64-bit and U E 5.0 64-bit

Tower:
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.5 GHz (8 core); 8GB RAM;
118GB SSD, 111GB HDD; 232GB HDD; 465GB USB HDD
Soon to be dual-boot Win 7 64-bit and U E 5.0 64-bit
S3KshuN8
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Other Linux

Re: Locking up

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Look for Disc Utility in your menu or run

Code: Select all
sudo palimpsest

THere is a chance it is not on there, and could be

sudo gnome-discs

You can also check your systems and even repair(sometimes) with gparted depending on the situation.

sudo gparted

The locking up could be attributed to a few things, I am not sure if you auto installed(One should never do this), you could have RAM corruption or Disc Corruption, your discs loook to be pretty low memory so there is a good chance they are quite old and used but I do not know your partition sets so it could be afull TB for..idk. There is a chance that it could be swap as well...like for instance, if your computer came with a recovery there is a chance that 3 partitions are taken up for Windows. If you autoinstalled it will bypass the Swap requirement and install to a single partition. THis means you need to create a swap file or could rig it with a USB alotted for Swap although this only helps somewhat, it is more a band aid.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby S3KshuN8 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Yes, winblows 7 takes 3 primary partitions. The 4th is an extended where I have an 8GB swap partition (sda5) then the root filesystem 42 GB Ext4 (sda6) and a 34GB NTFS (sda7).

I have gparted on a bootable CD, it says sda6 is OK when I check it. And I found gnome-disks in the menu but I'm not sure what to do with it. I thought there was a way to schedule a disk check on bootup. Doesn't it have to be unmounted to check it? :?
Dell Inspiron laptop:

Tower:
S3KshuN8
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:19 pm

You should run palmpsest,gnome-disks, off the CD and unmount, yes. ALthough I believe there are certain limitations depending on the drive and may need to be formatted to do a true test.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/37659/th ... utilities/

There are a lot of bases to cover here, but remember you can also check status via Windows, but..ick.

Other considerations....Ultimate Edition often has a lot going on at startup, it may be beneficial to cut some of this out.

How high are your processes running when this occurs?

Even though you have the requirements Ultimate Edition can be quite heavy, and running multiple applications can definitely sieze everything up. There is weight here in almost every aspect, it is heavy windows, heavy backgrounds, heavy icons, and system crashing special effects.. I love this personally, but it can definitely have side effects. I try to keep in mind that the one building and many of the users have rather high capacity systems.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby S3KshuN8 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:49 pm

CPU monitor generally shows about 20% use with occasional spikes to 50% or so, RAM monitor shows about 45% usage + about 50% cache, disk access monitor shows low activity. When it locks up the monitors I have on the top bar freeze too, and nothing unusual "jumps out at me." I typically have Radio Tray running along with chrome and Wine running pokerstars but it has locked up once when I was playing Oolite so Wine wasnt running that time. The wierd part is Radio Tray keeps playing...
Dell Inspiron laptop:

Tower:
S3KshuN8
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby S3KshuN8 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:11 pm

My system hasn't locked up on me again, but I think it may be related to a memory leak I am noticing with Wine running the PokerStars software. I usually only play a couple of hours a day and reboot afterward to get the memory back, but if I leave it running overnight RAM usage is full by the time I wake up, and it doesn't free up after the program has closed. A problem with Wine, most likely, but is there anything I can do about it short of waiting for a new version?
Dell Inspiron laptop:

Tower:
S3KshuN8
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:35 pm

I was running into memory leaks from upgrading systems, it was related to samba if I remember right.

Ahh, here we go...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1257186

So if this is it, for me I was able to fix the issue by removing, but for me it was a stop point. I ended up scrapping the distro entirely and moving on to Debian testing while swearing under my breath at all the security vulnerabilities I have to deal with on Ubuntu.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby S3KshuN8 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:10 pm

Well I haven't used samba and don't foresee needing to. From that link it looks like a different issue.

Rebooting periodically or just not playing poker is good enough for me. It still beats using an untrusted copy of Win 7 for internet activity.

I can say for certain though that on the rare occasions my system has locked up, the memory was not even close to full. I've put the swap partition to use before and it didn't lock up.
Dell Inspiron laptop:

Tower:
S3KshuN8
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby S3KshuN8 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:21 pm

:x Woke up and found the system locked up again, with the screen saver frozen in place. Is there no log file to tell what happened? :?
Dell Inspiron laptop:

Tower:
S3KshuN8
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.8