Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

UNetbootin and Ultimate

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 3.5

UNetbootin and Ultimate

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:57 am

Now this a combo one can put on the flash drive and bring with anywhere! Enough utilities that will function to the utmost, can be updated and more programs can be installed. Don't ask me how much though? Personally have just installed java and some other small things for school. Takes about 5 minutes to boot at home, but have the graphics and sound tied in with this motherboard! What can I say, money was short so just had to put together what I could afford for the ole lady and myself! Besides Asus knows what they are doing. Is the only manufacturer I really trust with motherboards. Is not others are bad, just I trust them the most! That is a different story altogether though. So back to my points. Now gaining administrative priviledges on this USB OS(Ultimate 3.4) has the drawbacks of not being able to click on the shutdown. That effect returns to the logout scenario. As have searched for some more insight seems some files will have to be modified for it to work right once a user becomes administrator. I am also left with many questions that leads me to want to investigate. Taking charge of the live distro Ultimate 3.4, any changes, or repairs made, can they be instituted for an improved OS? Will an installation perform as the unattended setups of Windoze XP? Am very grateful to be in this position of being able to use all these fascinating programs! Develop more thoughts of my own, is one of the most important things in life, to face challenges! Another is success! Feels great when something you try out actually works! As I see others on the net asking the same question, how to turn off their USB OS, I will try to make some attempts to make it do that! I tried one yesterday and it did fail! Anyone has any clues will be very very grateful. For now the only way can shut it down is ctrl F12 then alt ctrl del. Sends it into a reboot cycle at which time it can at least save settings!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: UNetbootin and Ultimate

Postby pch.shot » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:36 am

Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 pm

I did try another version of the USB, believe that is the one! Worked the same way and in belief when you change settings as I have with adding myself as the administrator, the system still finds there is one important user left, the system! So how do you gain full control and knock that setting out? Is a question many people are asking! See when you install things to the USB OS's you have to gain access, in doing so you wind up messing with the original setting of rebooting or shutting down the system. I mean I kind of understand the process, but am sure is a bit complex to solve! A simple change of managers from lightdm to slim cashed it out yesterday! So the structure is complex and don't think is a simple cure. I have real good response on this and all functions as if it were the entire system! Is much more than I can say for Slax. I couldn't believe the lag time! Came close to acting like the experiment I did with Snowlinux. For fun I installed the entire OS to the flash. Booted up worked but moved like a 90 year old man! Real slow! Slax was not far from it and is only 200mbs! Ultimate 3.4 weighs about 3.2 gbs on this flash and the rest is for persistence. UNetbootin works about the same as the other utilities, would be nice to have a format option in those utilities but they don't! Windoze is the fastest format option so had to use that a few times already! Is one thing I can always say about Windoze: "It loves formatting". Is one of the few things Linux lacks is a quick formatting option. If someone begs to differ, please by all means clue me in!!!! Last time tried just deleting some things and sat for 10mins with not much luck! Windoze dumped it in 2 minutes! I also ask the original questions from my first post since I am new to this area! Does leave a lot of curiosity, when I started messing with computers there was no "live cd or dvd". As it is relatively new, there are still things that can mystify the curious as myself! I say "relatively" meaning is not something that has been around for at least 10 years! Believe me if it were, I would have saved myself a lot of trouble! Used to do a little work on other people's computers and this would have saved me hours!!!! Oops forgot to mention am on the USB stick now! Has about 3 hours on it with Java and weather installed. Will put Packet Tracer in also, but from there will probably leave it be!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks Blackwolf will do that next time have to load. Is doing good except for that shutdown deal! Think I blew it as should have removed ultimate immediately after creating administrative account. Think they are intertwined now! No shutdown command works just keyboard for now! Still amazed that the speed of Ultimate 3.4 in this fashion(flashdrive) is so responsive! Slight lags only!!!! Anyone else as crazy as me doing this? Have open jdk-7 running like a charm and packetTracer so am set for school! Cut off a couple minor processes like Conky and Yarsr since won't need them for school so might aid in the bootup process. Is going to be awesome not to have that blinding Windoze system in my face!!!! All bright colored blue and afraid my eyes are not doing so good with that no more! Home computers can switch to something easier on Windoze, but school ones remain stock! Always did love 3.4 and sure love 3.5! Now they both have their uses! 3.5 at home, 3.4 at school! Will just live with the shutdown deal until I can figure something. Was looking at a few things today, but thus far nothing has been successful. Will get there eventually, and will be happy to find the cure since I have seen a lot of flash drive users having this problem!!! Once again thanks Blackwolf will use that next time I format or most likely if I set one of these up for my stepson!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks again Blackwolf! I did find the sudo poweroff one last night and works faster than hitting shutdown in the menu or keyboard trick!(Provided no second account of liveuser!) Will stick with that as to do a total changeover might not work anyway! Will also say Blackwolf joined OZ so I could read your post about Ubuntu software coloring. I too suffered from not being able to read. Looked at the css file and was befuddled why such light colors would be chosen! Am not sure it would even show on a regular theme! Personally I changed it to 343434. Now shows up with grayish background that is much easier on the eyes. Can see it all now. Also adjusted that on the flash drive! Would do the same for VBOX if I could find the style sheet! Why these people like to go against user's themes is kind of a drag! We should be free to chose our own style! Most software vendors just set to user theme, instead of fighting it! As you know basically been on Linux close to 8 months total. 5 of those months spent on Ultimate. Sometimes I don't put things together so well with my thinking also!!!Hasn't really dawned on me til last night, that removing liveuser from a live disk would probably destroy it, since that is basically the disk's purpose! Am just way too excited about this concept as does bring a great useful idea to mind. Someway to create and OS that would function like the live disk but be assigned to a user as a regular system! Current learning ability of myself would probably take a few years!!! Most likely someone will beat me to it!!! I know basically these phones are based on my theory, but yes would be nice to have the same capability for our flashdrives! Some of us love all our settings, programs and OS!(Like me with Ultimate!). Currently, I am quite proud and amazed of the many things I have learned since my start with Ultimate! I owe a great deal to those of you on here like Blackwolf that are full of pure wisdom and extreme patience!!!! Many thanks always, love it here!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:35 pm

You can run images from your sd usb on a phone. Apple, Android, Windows, whatever. With Android...ummmmm..with a rooted Android you can tether or make a hotspot to run the internet and use the sd for your image to run another OS on a PC at the same time. You can definitely do this with most Windows phones. There is a program on Windows phones you have to remove first though called Windows mobile. You just have to replace this with an Android OS and you should be good to go. ;)

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:26 pm

I know the phones and small devices can do this stuff great, but when it comes to computers only reading USB 2 is a bit sluggish. As I posted about Slax which is a small OS, it ran even slower than Ultimate which shocked me! I mean you would think an OS that is only 200 mbs would move faster than an OS that is over 3gigs? It just shows that the technology Ultimate has can be built upon to produce a system capable of running normal speed on USB 2. Not sure how the USB 3 technology is and would like to know. Am afraid, I am having a hard time keeping up on all technology involved!!!! I brought the flash to school with me today and worked pretty successfully in my Java class! Was great and I felt much more comfortable with my favorite system! Sure at points with higher function was sluggish, but with as large a system as Ultimate is, is amazing it moved at all!!!! That is the fact that is close to unbelievable!!!! The Professor told me I could get the same look in notepad with notepad+ but I am very skeptical on that one! Will put a copy of how beautiful a java file looks with this theme. The author of this theme seemed to color code for different words in the code. Really helps me keep track instead of a plain drab white sheet!!! I seem to find my errors much faster! I still have the curiosity about the changes I made that are on the USB. If I were to install it on someone else's computer will those changes now be included?(installing from my flash) I mean it really raises chance to catch a problem with an OS if this manipulation is included! So yes am really curious on this point and wondering if this has been done? Anyway here is a pic how java looks on my computer! Will also close thanking all for information really helps as am limited with time for everything!!!
Attachments
Java pic.png
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pch.shot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:29 pm

There is usb 3.0 now. It was advertised as 10 times as fast as 2.0 but in reality it's 3 times as fast.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Micro » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:32 pm

A newer USB 3.0 flash drive would be almost 10 time faster, if the pc supports it. Not to mention the quality of the device also to be taken in consideration. But the most important factor would be whether or not the DIstro runs from RAM, as this is where you would notice performance improvements. Just my 2 cents, and good to see your enthusiasm and work ethic on here...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby pch.shot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:47 pm

I have 3.0 usb ports on my mobo but I have not tried a 3.0 usb stick yet. They are however backwards compatible with 2.0.
My printer runs fine from a usb 3.0 port.
I highly doubt it's 10x. Has anyone tested it out yet?
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God