Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Username & password for distro

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 3.5

Username & password for distro

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:07 am

Brought my usb flash to school yesterday to mess with on network connections to show them how easily can be done. Unfortunately had no way to save settings since it is only the distro version and not fully installed. Best UNetbootin can do with only an 8 gig flash! Would like to save settings and change desktops while in the try before installing mode. Would greatly appreciate anyone that can give me that info. Of course the normal root, user su, ubuntu, and ultimate do not work for user or password. Have to also brag once again! In the mode had it running with the KDE desktop messed and had the TUX cursors on! Looked and performed twice as fast as the windoze users besides me. Is unfortunate that our school only shows Ubuntu 8 to students! This is highly deceptive since Linux is light years ahead of that system now! Most students are quite amazed at the functionality of Ultimate! Is one nice show to bring to school to show them what they are missing! As always absolutely love the ease of Ultimate and its shinning brilliance!!!! Will also help on an ongoing try of mine to find the problem with Cinnamon! Thanks in advance for your help and as always thanks for the best OS ever!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Username & password for distro

Postby Rotus » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Hey there,

I think the simplest answer is when you create your USB using Unetbootin, you setup the persistance as well. It says to use with Ubuntu only but if you look at part of Ultimate Edition during the startup it says Ubuntu. So I would try that and see if that works. I did it when i setup the live usb for Geexbox as well at it has not lost it's settings yet.
Rotus
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks will erase,reload and look for that setting! Really appreciate that as will be nice to have that to try some things as far as network connections and java in school. Easier finding java files on a system that only has one user versus the entire campus! Plus as have said, school is being quite deceptive and giving Linux a bad name! Got real upset seeing that old version of Ubuntu! Was way back in the dark ages! I mean come on, is not nice to bash a system by showing their past! What is here and now counts! Anyway really appreciate the heads up, is the first time I used UNetbootin. If it weren't for Ultimate, probably would have not had the chance to try that! Or would have been a project to get installed. Been there done it! Is why I always say how grateful I will always be to Ultimate for having the amount of software(programs) I can learn and understand. Will give a second shot on UNetbootin and see what happens! Next step would be to just get a larger flash and get Ultimate to completely install to it! Of course would have to take hardware into consideration so is a bit of a pain. This is the main reason doing this route since is faster! So many thanks to you ahead of time!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pch.shot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:05 pm

For Windows, I use this:
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Rotus » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Yea giving an OS a bad name because of it's past isn't a very smart move. If that were the case then you can simply say that Microsoft is bad due to it's past. For instance, version 3.0 or 3.1 (can't remember the exact version) was mass produced and sold with a VIRUS in the OS. Windows Vista, 2000, 95 and few others were jokes. All the security risks to them. So saying Linux or Ubuntu specifically is a bad OS because of is really just being petty.
Rotus
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Was worth a try with UNetbootin but am back to say is no dice! Once you try to save the settings, Ultimate will not respond and just stay on the initial boot screen with the progress bar. Sat there for 10 minutes before I finally gave up! I did my best to save just necessary settings like username and password. Kept the name but did not seem to keep password. Before rebooting, I tried to log out to another desktop(Gnome Classic) and username showed, but my password I had tried desperately to save was turned down. So here it is for folks that want to carry Ultimate in their pocket, the only way is a laptop or pc! USB Flash will just leave you with nothing that works, unless you just leave it without the storage! Am guessing 3.5 is kind of the blacksheep, the system you hide from the general public! Once again is not meant in a derogatory manner. There are some things on 3.5 that are treading the line so maybe is best to keep it more hush hush! I honestly love this system and yes would do anything to protect it so it remains great! So with more than 10 different ways to go and thousands of outcomes, am afraid any luck with Cinnamon is beyond me! Is nice to have a starting point for a problem so can break it down to search areas. I looked to start at the starting point to see if it is function before installation. Since I have no way(no usable password) I can't check at the beginning. My guess is it starts with problems. Everyone knows Cinnamon is doggy from the get go. So am guessing is just not usable in a normal sense on Ultimate. Actually even where it began is on the shady side! Anyway all is a guess and is too much guessing to do so am done on that part! Will use another distro for school so can make settings and stuff in my networking class. Just too much protection on Ultimate, I suppose and most likely for a greater reason such as falling into the wrong hands! Ultimate is the best OS have ever seen and yes I would not want to see someone use it to harm anyone!Beyond this forum on any site will not brag, either. Am starting to believe it just might do harm instead of good! I fully support all actions of these developers and this forum! Once again will close with saying, nothing stated is meant in any ill will or derogatory fashion! I want to see Ultimate live forever! I thoroughly love the progression of this system!!!! I also never want to see it banned or anything negative ever befall it!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pam » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 pm

Unetbootin will create "only" a bootable flash-disk. That was the intent. There are workarounds wherein you could store your settings but its unreliable and shady.
A simple thing to do is just install it on the usb pendrive as you would on a hard disk---this might not work correctly on different systems with different chips as its local to the host system you installed it on.
On the other hand a bootable image on a pen drive will boot on any system.

Cinnamon is pretty buggy and using a DE which has a legacy like gnome-classic/KDE or even Unity is much better and will save you a lot of energy. I too gave up using cinnamon as its mostly native and stable win Mint.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:16 am

If I had a 32gig flash Ultimate could install. Needs 18gigs for install. Just shows is fully loaded! Honestly after using Mint and Snowlinux to me seems Snow is better with Cinnamon although presently the desktop switching gives one as myself a real headache! What was really weird is Sabayon a Gentoo Linux handled Cinnamon best I ever saw! Ran like a charm! Didn't have any Video troubles. When Gnome 3 straightened out went back to that which was within a couple weeks.For me is easier to find things on Gnome. Sure will mess with KDE here and there but the side to side stuff once again not as easy as Gnome! As have said many times just like Cinnamon for novelty purpose only. Is a little scary to do any intense work on it! Just is fun to show off some things with it! So to me is just a show piece! Was under the impression after reading quite a bit that UNetbootin could save the settings provided you reserve enough space. I figured 2 gigs would be quite adequate! Apparently how Ultimate is set those settings can't be saved. Most likely is due to the fact is highly compressed as most Operating systems of today are! Have to face it we are a more complex world these days! Simple things have given way to much more complex tasks! I honestly love that kind of progression! This is the main reason Linux is so exciting! Then when you get into a distro that actually makes more things happen is undescribable joy! Currently, I muffed a load on the flash for Snowlinux which left me with an unbootable flash! 2 hours waiting and too quick on hitting keys muffed it for me!!! Forgot to get the settings right!!! Will do it later today as want a Linux system to use at school! The difference from Community College to University is diversity. Most Universities use Linux so their students become educated well! Is not Windoze is non-educational, is just the fact Linux will give you a greater understanding about computers! Of course as things go with me, the above muffed deal will go towards other theories I have. Lucky for me most of my disasters actually have use! If it does not teach me something it generally works for something later down the road! I did see a previous post of yours Pam and tried as you said, but was no dice! Oh well guess have to remain working on some other ideas and plans! Thanks for all advice, believe me it all helps!!!!! Have to add one more thing as forgot to mention!!! I was also very impressed on the animation of the TUX cursors, my Professor got quite a charge out of those! I think after he saw Ultimate in action he is understanding why I love it so much! Ultimate speaks for itself with its actions!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:21 pm

I wish I were better suited to explain partitioning to you. I think that would be a better starting point. However, you might not make it out of that alive. Well...with a working PC anyways. Through this you could experiment with your USB, or just...throw Ultimate Edition on your laptop, or...have a dedicated external, or carry it on a SD..the list is long. The most important question however is..have you not played with the puppy?!! Maybe DSL?!! If you want a mini OS you can save with thats where I go.

So to give you an idea here though of saving settings on a live distro. I may be confused but I am not sure what you mean. You can save things and use a live distro but you are not saving on the disc, and maybe the USB if you set it up differently. That points back to the wonderful world of partitioning. Think of it like a playstation. The Playstation console is the PC. The game is the Live Distro. The memory card is where you save.

There is more to it, I mean, there are ways..you can turn a cd or dvd into an OS that saves. You can also build your own live distro.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:06 pm

I did get success Xan! I had Snow all loaded but alas moved like a brick! Couldn't successfully pull up Mozilla so that idea is dust! Yes will have to look into another way. A crazy thought just came to me was to try UNetbootin with Gnome 3.6. Yes is insane!!! But kind of having a fun day today! Will be back at the homework and other stuff tomorrow! Need a little breather and I did bust it quite a bit this week to get ahead to have a so called fun/experimentation day! If this next venture fails will use the originally planned Slax7 which is a small distro! Should work for now. I have a 3.6 kernel right now but not wanting to start a build until I learn a little more! Have to review some things as I am a little forgetful! Snow is kind of rough to deal with when you have that switch activated for switching desktops in the corner. Switches any time you move the cursor! Of course on a USB stick doesn't really budge at all. Only took 3 something gigs but is too much to move to function right! Is as we say dead weight! The Gnome 3.6 one is about 700mb so is a chance with UNetbootin will work. As I say am a real sucker for the Gnome desktop! Is hard to sway me since everything is easier for me. On the other love KDE utilities, they work! This is why I always say Ultimate is supreme! At school can make it by without all the toys for now. So will see what I can do! I have a feeling Slax is going to win but will give this a try! Is another mistake in thinking made last month which might just come to use. Does mount in VBOX so should mount in UNetbootin. Am just hopeful can get password/username set for it and will be able to save stuff and install whatever is needed! Will let all know on this venture as am sure not everyone is this daring or crazy!!! Be back later on to let know which OS wins time at my College!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.5