Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Cinnamon --replace!

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 3.5

Cinnamon --replace!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Tripped out way to start the subject line of this! Wanted to let all know that am working away on figuring how to get it going for good! Somewhere along the line some words in a file are giving it strange commands! These commands are giving some improper dimensions! Am in high belief is part of the files within Cinnamon itself! If you go into Cinnamon settings and deselect hide the taskbar then go to log out of what desktop you were on when affecting that change, you can then log into Cinnamon enter Cinnamon --replace and Cinnamon will come up with some GTK and dimension errors. It does work and did use it effectively this morning. Of course more time was spent on trying to find if a simple adjustment would make it appear without help! So far is not the case. I have been trying to see Cinnamon function since 3.4 and will say this is quite a breakthrough! I do have some pictures, but am running short on time as need to get to some homework! 2 of the present ventures Cinnamon and Solaris have to go on hold for a day or two! Would be great to collaborate on this and see if a few of us can put our heads together and solve it once and for all! Is a decent looking desktop and is good for light duty and fun! I really wouldn't want to get heavy on it as in past experience it leads to trouble! Anyway am hoping for more ideas as have searched high and low only to find little tidbits! Will greatly appreciate any advice and help to get this so all of us can use Cinnamon whenever we desire to!Bob
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Cinnamon --replace!

Postby pch.shot » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:53 am

Tried all and am still at the same point. Here is what the terminal shows which leads me to the above theory. Another thing I have theorized is all other desktops have the Unity Greeter even when not set to Compiz except for Cinnamon. This leads me to believe is might not be written in somewhere and is why it gets forgotten.Just had another breakthrough which has to be it! When reloading Window manager through compiz, Cinnamon's taskbar will vanish! This means window manager is not fully compensating for Cinnamon. Thanks for your advice and sure all is worth a try! I sincerely believe am getting closer to a resolution with this issue! Here is the readout from terminal. Am hoping as your knowledge exceeds mine by a few years you might point me in a good area to look to solve it! Here it is:

bob@bob-System-Product-Name:~$ cinnamon --replace
Window manager warning: Log level 8: gtk_style_context_add_provider: assertion `GTK_IS_STYLE_PROVIDER (provider)' failed
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Error registering polkit authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject (polkit-error-quark 0)

(cinnamon:17314): St-WARNING **: percentage lengths not currently supported

(cinnamon:17314): St-WARNING **: Negative blur values are not allowed

(cinnamon:17314): St-WARNING **: Negative blur values are not allowed
Window manager warning: Log level 8: gtk_style_context_add_provider: assertion `GTK_IS_STYLE_PROVIDER (provider)' failed

Didn't dawn on me until I looked one more time at all the mention of Window manager! Will bet there is a line or setting muffed somewhere and within reach! Current version of Cinnamon running is 1.6.6. All the changes with Window management on Gnome might be hassling Cinnamon. Have not been able to take a look on the development of Cinnamon with everything else am trying to do, so am unsure if it is being all set up. With as much script as some of this stuff takes, would never surprise me one or two lines not correctly written! Personally, am lucky to get 30 to 50 lines right when I do a simplistic Java program!!!! Even then some of those are not nothing to brag about!!! Amazes me how people can get thousands of lines of script running so swift and smooth! Anyway will really appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction! Appreciate all given so far as have to follow all steps, somewhere along the line it is going to get a cure! My confidence level is high on this! Will post if I figure anything or find the cure!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:45 pm

I just thought I might help you in....

Finding Nemo!!

"Why fork nautilus?

Short term: Nautilus 3.6 is a catastrophe."

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=198

I was curious if you were getting this file manager with your build.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Is supposed to be using Nemo which should handle quite nicely and does on the regular Gnome desktop. So just figured is something else. To research this whole situation a bit more came upon kind of a crazy thing. On the distro disk or on flash as have loaded need to switch desktops. Unfortunately, all attempts for username or password have failed. So have no way to check it before it even loads. Cause if it can be nipped at the base, will be much easier to find than on a fully functional system as am running now! Hope none of this is getting you mad and nothing stated is ever meant to get you mad. I really appreciate all your help!!!! Yeah Nautilus doesn't like to handle intricate details, so will definitely agree it was hurting. Nemo was a great manuever and have noticed much improvement the way the desktop unfolds on boot! Before was kind of sloppy, now is very precise! Have tried getting into command prompt issuing the new password on the live version but does nothing with it! Tried root, user, ultimate, ubuntu and nothing works! I guess if you want to try before installing can only use the KDE! Really hope someone will give me that password and way to do this. Would be great to find if is hardware related or as originally been thinking some problem in cinnamon itself!!!! For now on here when I want to see it have to use above command, since so far no adjustment have tried makes it come up on its own. Have all the current drivers for my AMD hardware so really should be fine. Everything else works like a dream! Thanks for all the help and as am saying nothing is ever meant to get anyone upset. I just want to contribute to making Ultimate the greatest OS ever! As is totally love it and all the options! Enjoy learning from it and just want to ensure others will feel the same!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby lunerceli » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:58 pm

BBOSAK2143 wrote:Tripped out way to start the subject line of this! Wanted to let all know that am working away on figuring how to get it going for good! Somewhere along the line some words in a file are giving it strange commands! These commands are giving some improper dimensions! Am in high belief is part of the files within Cinnamon itself! If you go into Cinnamon settings and deselect hide the taskbar then go to log out of what desktop you were on when affecting that change, you can then log into Cinnamon enter Cinnamon --replace and Cinnamon will come up with some GTK and dimension errors. It does work and did use it effectively this morning. Of course more time was spent on trying to find if a simple adjustment would make it appear without help! So far is not the case. I have been trying to see Cinnamon function since 3.4 and will say this is quite a breakthrough! I do have some pictures, but am running short on time as need to get to some homework! 2 of the present ventures Cinnamon and Solaris have to go on hold for a day or two! Would be great to collaborate on this and see if a few of us can put our heads together and solve it once and for all! Is a decent looking desktop and is good for light duty and fun! I really wouldn't want to get heavy on it as in past experience it leads to trouble! Anyway am hoping for more ideas as have searched high and low only to find little tidbits! Will greatly appreciate any advice and help to get this so all of us can use Cinnamon whenever we desire to!Bob

I feel you on that one. I have been trying to get Gnome 3 and Cinnamon to work on my 3.5 ever since it hit sourceforge. The only way for me to get it to work, but not properly is to do the --replace command. I have read every where that it is because of the ATI driver, but I can't get xorg-edgers repo to work correctly to use an open source driver. One thing that you would want to look at is when it gives you the errors when using the --replace command. The biggest one that I usually get talks about how Cinnamon and Gnome 3's backends aren't installed properly and that it is missing elements to make it work correctly. I too am working on getting this fixed. If you need any help, just let everyone know and we are here to help out any way that we can. Keep up the great work bro.
lunerceli
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:11 am

No can't blame it on ATI drivers since a recent check on previous 3.4 version. Is shot from the get go. Something is missing from the code to get it hooked completely with the file management! Found this out last night as now have 3.4 on a flash with UNEtbootin. You know how you try before installing? Well UNetbootin sets it up on a flash with the added ability of being able to save to it! I now make reference to it as my portable OS. Anyway changed permissions last night to assign it to me. I logged out of Gnome and into Cinnamon. No taskbar! So it starts out faulty! Cinnamon is real crazy and some command in Ultimate is just not agreeing with it! Can't and would never blame development as this is a very complicated thing! If it were easy, am sure would have found a cure for it! Am betting whoever can cure this problem would have to be the person that developed Cinnamon in the first place! Am not sure who that person is, but believe with most of the errors listed when pops up after above command, he or she would know where the problem lies! Basically is something that will take awhile to cure! Is not a simple fix! No real big deal as a normal working Cinnamon desktop can be a pain! If you have read some of the post I talked about Snowlinux, you would get my drift! The semi-functional mode in Ultimate is about as close to good as it gets for Cinnamon! Worked about that way in Sabayon and was quite successful. Didn't have to use the above command and came in normally, but didn't have as much flashiness as Snow! Actually, was very very grateful for that! I like desktops that work and don't change on their own! Guess is kind of a guy thing! I like to make my choices and be in charge! So far Gnome/Ultimate has done so perfectly with that!!!! I might try to tackle Cinnamon on my own once I figure a place to start! Programs are very complex! So far I am only lucky to fix a few lines in small java programs!!! Nevertheless, you know me need a challenge and most likely in another month will be on it! My aim like will say over and over. I also want everyone to enjoy Ultimate as I do!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.5