Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Cinnamon disappeared!

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 3.5

Cinnamon disappeared!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:48 pm

Just noticed today as had a little more time to spare, that Cinnamon is now missing from the selection of desktops. Wouldn't work on 3.4 or this one but was in the list. So is strange it disappeared now! Kind of like the XCFE desktop and KDE is decent but for the life of me, I can't figure how to get my desktop background on them. Is real fascinating to see XCFE and KDE take on the window effects of Gnome! Always hated their minimize maximize and exit buttons! Is awesome to see them with the ones I love!!!! KDE will be great to use here and there as is quite similar to Cinnamon and Windows with the taskbar on the bottom. Am working hard to convince the ole lady to make the change to this OS and think one of those can do it! Still bet though that Cinnamon would sell her in a heartbeat since I saw her eyeing it last time had it on Sabayon! Anyway was just curious if last update pulled Cinnamon or if is some unknown reason is gone. Still 98% of the time you can't take me away from Gnome!!! Is nicely spread out and easy to read for me! Absolutely beautiful and brilliant! Love this OS to the max as always! Am hopeful someone can give a clue to those setting for background image and the disposition of Cinnamon? As always best wishes to the the greatest OS!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Cinnamon disappeared!

Postby Micro » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:30 pm

Looks like you are having issues with the display manager. I believe lightdm is used now in ubuntu 12.04. You can surely switch to gdm but i hear its buggy. I would suggest that you change the default session in lightdm. Open # terminal and vi /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf or gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. then change default session to Cinnamon. Hope this helps as Cinnamon is nothing but problems in my exprience when it comes to upgrades and such...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:20 am

Wouldn't that leave me with just Cinnamon? Sure I like Cinnamon but not full time. Am still say Cinnamon had totally disappeared from the system which is a first to me! It was there on the load of 3.5, then sometime after updates it disappeared, hence my original question? Yeah with Cinnamon, watch out when you update Wine, is the first thing to get toasted! Been there before! Thanks for not answering the other questions as had a brain fart! Both are adjusted with my crazy Italy picture found on Gnome! I had to actually re-install Cinnamon from Ubuntu Software, that is how missing from the system it was. Also noticed this time around(3.5) after my ATI drivers loaded, it took the place setting of Advanced settings for Gnome. Sure I can still use Ubuntu tweak, but sure get a charge out of the crazy graphics on the Advanced Settings!!! Makes me laugh every time I see it! Also wish could get those screensavers to work all the time. Every time I boot up I turn it on and works so great and the detail to some of those screensavers are most incredible! One of them even captures effects of Compiz! Have it set to random, but as have said unless it is turned on after you boot up, will just stay on the normal blackness! Some developers are becoming prudish, getting rid of screensavers altogether! This is another reason I find Ultimate so awesome!!! Ultimate refuses to be prudish!!! These people know what fun and work is all about!!!! I have to study hard every day with College, and getting all these fun things happening like screensavers sure adds light to some of this darkness!!!! Is why am so appreciative I have Ultimate running on my computer! Kind of went off the beating path so will just ask my main question again. Has anyone else seen Cinnamon vanish from system after update? Will copy command down also, but will wait for an answer on that as only want Cinnamon here and there, not full time. Main desktop is Gnome. Nicely spread out, easy to deal with and quite nice looking!!!! Also is quite nice the way both taskbars come in at the completion of boot in total sync!! Also thanks very much for your response, is very difficult learning all these commands. For some that have done it for years, is easy but for me is not even a year, so yes am sluggish!!! So thanks very much!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Micro » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:03 am

Negative that would just set the default login to Cinnamon. If Cinnamon was removed from an update, it's a good idea to read what exactly is going to be upgraded and what exactly is going to be removed. In the update manager (or synaptic or terminal) it would inform you of such changes. Keep an eye out on whats doing what and you will catch this type of incident next time... ;)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks will give it a shot sometime real soon! Just claimed was updating and nothing about removing anything just typical installation so was a bit confused on that one, but have to get something crazy from an OS once in a while, I suppose! Nothing like I got from other OS's! Not a real high level of maintenance on Ultimate either as with Windoze! Would still be awesome to have some permanence to the screensavers, but with all the tasks Ultimate has to take care of on the boot is probably for the best! I generally read everything about the updates and constantly brag how great this system is to actually identify each update! Is a dream come true, not like many other OS's that never say nothing except that they are updating! Though as we all know sometimes something obscure that was to do another job winds up messing with something else! This is the reason I had asked that question! You never know when it comes to scripts that are umpteen pages that one line could toss another program!As is Ultimate is the most impressive OS out here! Most desktops and installed programs! I tried another OS in the spring that had about half of the desktops and same for software. That OS worked but had problems and futzed up quite a bit. Ultimate functions least 100X better than that OS. Will not mention names as every developer out there is busting it to make a good OS. I am still impressed with that developer as he is doing his very best to resolve the issues. TheeMahn now don't know where he came from or what, but this guy and his crew deserves the best! To get an OS going with all these program and functioning great? Is still hard for me to comprehend!!! This OS deserves appreciation and deep respect! I give it my utmost! I also give deep respect to all moderators here!!! You are knowledgeable and another piece in the pie that makes Ultimate the very best!!! Personally would bet it TheeMahn and crew took on Wine would probably run everything! Something very magical and awesome about these people, am just hoping they get great respect! All you deserve it!!! Thanks a lot as said for the command lines and will do it real soon.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pch.shot » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Dido what Micro said. <BREW>
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Went through the motions with the command line but was turned down. A simple sudo nautilus and just edited the file myself. Still the same no difference. Another curious effect I have from using KDE desktop is I now have 2 file managers when using Gnome desktop. If I open files through places on the taskbar it is in KDE. When I open through home icon it is Gnome! Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, but was off on a study venture. Did my rant and rave and will leave it there as not to offend anyone else! Would be nice to have Cinnamon to use here and there, but if it doesn't want to work am not going to loose sleep over it! Besides for me would only go into novelty usage and not a full time desktop. I personally find Gnome to be the best desktop navigation wise. Guess they realized there are people like me that just have to have everything laid out large and easy to find! KDE and XFCE are nice, never get me wrong on that, is just Gnome is simply easier for me! Cinnamon would only serve purposes when a fuller view of something is needed. KDE can accomplish the same though! Still as I enjoy troubleshooting and striving to keep Ultimate the best, would be great to solve the problem with Cinnamon! Command line issue above is consistent with all versions of Linux I have used. Is an effect of the automatic login. Some command lines are turned down, since you are not recognized as the root user until entering a password. Will work with entering sudo nautilus and apt command, but all else fails with root recognition. Would be another fun one to find! Is a drawback for those of us that login automatically. I know we also leave the door open for more hassles, but most times is needed to accomplish things in a timely manner. Fast boot and usability is the fact that makes Ultimate the largest asset I have ever had!!!!! No waiting once taskbars are up, just rock and roll get the job done! Most other OS's have close to a minute delay, not Ultimate! Once it's up, its up and ready to work! Whatever you guys did since about August, killed the once in a while crash when using VBOX!!!! Ultimate is like a tank and an unrelenting one at that! I run day in day out like a charm! As always hats off to that fact! No other OS can handle that amount of usage, believe have seen many OS's!!!! Not every single one but am getting there slowly but surely!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:12 pm

Try "sudo -s" when starting to do some major terminal action. Use with caution. Also with 3.5 be aware of where you are at since terminator seems to open at ///documents. Unusual but it helps me pay attention, lmao. "cd / "takes care of that. When you are done using terminal at root, type "exit".

Sorry, I was trying to reference this "Command line issue above is consistent with all versions of Linux I have used. Is an effect of the automatic login. Some command lines are turned down, since you are not recognized as the root user until entering a password. Will work with entering sudo nautilus and apt command, but all else fails with root recognition. Would be another fun one to find! Is a drawback for those of us that login automatically. I know we also leave the door open for more hassles, but most times is needed to accomplish things in a timely manner. "

I am unsure exactly what you mean. I believe..if you are using terminal you are issuing a superuser command to execute as root when you type "sudo". Superuser do. Example...sudo apt-get update.............sudo apt-get install win8.. etc.. So say you just want to start at root you enter "sudo -s" and you are root so it is more..Example........apt-get upgrade......apt-get install iceweasel ..etc.
Attachments
snapshot26.png
Last edited by Xanayoshi on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby pam » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:59 am

Hello BBOSAK2143

Please write your signature!

problems can be anything --- maybe you updated OR your driver is causing problems... :|
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:54 am

Now I know what I have been doing wrong with all these systems! Nowhere have I seen issuing the -S after sudo! I miss the smallest things at times!!!! I feel very silly at times when that happens! A huge thanks to you!!!! Maybe now I can actually assemble things here and there. It might seem like a small thing to you, but to me is one very very important and useful thing!!! Never be able to thank you enough on that one! See I crash coursed myself in Linux back in May, I learned enough to get by but not nearly enough it appears! Prior learning of a Unix system was helpful, but yes there are differences! This is the largest reason I set out to learn Linux, is people as yourself. You have knowledge are not afraid to share it! Is the most beautiful thing to share what we learn and help each other! Linux shares its knowledge with other Operating systems that need help is a fact I learned some months ago! Instead of knocking an ailing system that is trying to make it, Linux went out of its way to help that system! Is the most honorable fact that changed my whole attitude towards Linux! It is a path I have traveled all my life and support it a 100%. If I can help someone with my knowledge, I will go out of my way also! I was also a little disappointed in the Unix system I had learned, that those on there were very negative and derogatory towards Linux. Apparently, they were also unaware Linux had come to their rescue to support USB devices!Thanks so very very much also for not demeaning me in no way as has happened on a few other forums I tried. I am just doing my best to grasp as much knowledge as I can. I deeply appreciate your responses and the excellent manners you use! Is just another part that adds Ultimate to being the very best system ever!!! :D
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.5