Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 3.5? Let's break it down.

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 3.5

Re: Ultimate Edition 3.5? Let's break it down.

Postby Billie Cowie » Fri May 04, 2012 5:34 am

Hello Infamous,
3.0.1 is an upgrade of 3.0 which , again, was transitional or experimental. Even numbered versions are sometimes less stable than odd numbered versions which are upgrades from the even numbered ones where any remaining glitches/bugs have been resolved. Hence, odd-numbered releases are more " stable".
It's just a technical difference really.
3.2 doesn't work properly on my computers, while 3.0.1 does with no problems.
By contrast, 3.0 which worked fine on my computer gave other people problems on theirs. The feedback from everyone enables the developers to iron out any remaining bugs in the odd-numbered versions. At least, this is how I understand it. Not being a developer I am open to correction but I think I am being pretty accurate. Now as to why I use 3.0.1 and why it suits my needs.
As I said, 3.0 worked fine on my machine but 3.0.1 has one software package included by default that I use all the time.In other versions I have had to download this and it was inconvenient. This is the experimental drawing package Alchemy. During the day I am an artist and I use Alchemy to produce ideas that I work-up into paintings in my studio.
3.0.1 also includes gFTP and Teamviewer which are very useful if you run into problems, such as downloading a specific file and putting it where it is supposed to go as you can let someone else who knows what they are doing, take temporary control of your computer remotely. Most people will probably never use it but I have had to in the past .New releases sometimes include new packages but if you don't use them you might not actually notice they are there.
So , there we have it, again it's about choice .so to recap, odd-numbered releases ,in my experience ,are more stabilised than even-numbered ,although the even-numbered can still be considered stable enough . 3.0.1 is therefore a refinement of 3.0.
3.3, which I understand, isn't far away will be a refined 3.2, so perhaps you should wait to try that one?
Finally, again regarding choice.3.2 didn't enable me to access Gnome3-Gnome shell which would have given me the desktop I wanted and since the default was Gnome2 or " classic", I decided to stick with 3.0.1 as it also uses Gnome2 as default. So there's the aesthetic element too. It's not a question of one version being better than another. It is " different strokes for different folks "
If 3.3 enables me to toggle between Gnome3 and Cairo-dock as Dream Multimedia2 does, then I will be using 3.3
We will see what we will see. I Hope this is useful, and keep the questions/views coming - it helps keep the forum active.
p.s.
Canonical and Ubuntu are not fans of Ultimate Edition because it improves on their product, is less buggy and more user-friendly. Ubuntu is, in my opinion, looking for commercial lock-in via the Unity interface. Ultimate Edition is commited to open-source and sharing with the community.
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby soopy » Fri May 04, 2012 6:19 am

First of all I'd like to express my THANKS to TheeMahn and his team....though I've not posted here
I have been using Ultimate Edition for 5 years now...I sincerely appreciate the effort you people put in...

Going back to the main topic....

NOW THAT THE 12.04 LTS IS RELEASED I think(only my opinion, may be wrong) that focus can be
shifted to 3.4 and 3.5 entirely. Though it might mean leaving out the predecessors, which I fear might
very well be redundant considering the goodness of Precise Pangolin, it may be justified.
This may also help THEEMAHN concentrating on fewer and more relevant things....

ONE MORE OBSERVATION...(Though all of you would have already observed... :D )

It looks like the solution to the most preferred Desktop Environment is present in Precise Pangolin in the form of
GNOME CLASSIC SESSION (the GNOME FALLBACK MODE) ....I'm currently using it and it is the closest thing to Ultimate Edition experience.....I think (again only my opinion, may be wrong) Ultimate Edition 3.4 and 3.5 can be based on GNOME CLASSIC SESSION which also seems to be more stable being part of the LTS....

THANKS AGAIN....
soopy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 pm

soopy wrote:First of all I'd like to express my THANKS to TheeMahn and his team....though I've not posted here
I have been using Ultimate Edition for 5 years now...I sincerely appreciate the effort you people put in...

Going back to the main topic....

NOW THAT THE 12.04 LTS IS RELEASED I think(only my opinion, may be wrong) that focus can be
shifted to 3.4 and 3.5 entirely. Though it might mean leaving out the predecessors, which I fear might
very well be redundant considering the goodness of Precise Pangolin, it may be justified.
This may also help THEEMAHN concentrating on fewer and more relevant things....

ONE MORE OBSERVATION...(Though all of you would have already observed... :D )

It looks like the solution to the most preferred Desktop Environment is present in Precise Pangolin in the form of
GNOME CLASSIC SESSION (the GNOME FALLBACK MODE) ....I'm currently using it and it is the closest thing to Ultimate Edition experience.....I think (again only my opinion, may be wrong) Ultimate Edition 3.4 and 3.5 can be based on GNOME CLASSIC SESSION which also seems to be more stable being part of the LTS....

THANKS AGAIN....

Kind of funny how things work on my end. I have already tested what will be Ultimate Edition 3.5 last month:
35.png
We don't even have artwork for it yet

On the other hand Ultimate Edition 3.3 x86 is uploading, 64 bit is already uploaded for testing:
3332uploading.png
Will have to be tested.

What is Ultimate Edition 3.3?

I used Ultimate Edition 3.2 as the base of the build, Upgraded over 200 updates / upgrades.

Let's utilize topic teminology, let's break down Ultimate Edition 3.3:
Release info:

Release Name: Ultimate Edition 3.3
Release base: Ultimate Edition 3.2 (Ubuntu Oneiric Oceleot - 11.10)
Architecture: 64 bit
Environments: Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, E17
Filesize: 3.2 GB (3,198,130,176 bytes)
MD5SUM: 4184a7db67d7dd620e76a7872277ab5a

Note the enviornments...
33ip.png
Running Ultimate Edition 3.3 x64 & running Ultimate Edition 3.3 x86 in a virtual machine to show selectable environments.

There is also additional software, never included in any other Ultimate Edition, some I have written.
When it comes to release numbers, 3.0.1 is a upgraded 3.0. Same can be said 2.6 and a 2.6.6 (got to love LTS) is a drasticily and multiple time upgraded 2.6. Now lets step in a new direction, I am trying to make things clear. Ultimate Edition 2.6.6 has not been globally released, does not mean does not exist. I have local beta testers which see <insert O/S here> prior, as well as global beta testers. Want my address so you can be my neighbor? lol

{major version}.{even/odd}.{minor revision}

Using the above, the only number that tosses a monkey wrench in the above was Ultimate Edition 3.2. Only because I built 3.2 to showcase new and upcoming technologies. Normally, the second number when odd example here being Ultimate Edition 3.3, has minimally Gnome & KDE - perhaps other environments as it does. Ultimate Edition 3.3 uses KWIN as the default window manager, however Compiz is there and has setting pre-set & a click of the mouse away. Why Kwin? Many users will use it for the KDE side & not Gnome (gnome is still default, sorry - I'm so far behind). Ultimate Edition 2.7 while it possesses no minor revision is a Ultimate Edition 2.6 with updates / upgrades and minimumally KDE added.

Once again off the beaten path, there has not been a Ultimate Edition 3.1 yet, unsure if ever due to me getting a new job 12 hr a day 7 days a week. There will w/o a doubt be a 3.4 and a 3.5. Probably my next stop. Which will be built off precise 12.04. You can see the screenshot above of me already running it. I really hate to openly tell you how I did so. Everytime I post how I do things some new guy tries to do the same and hoses his O/S.

Sorry, but I will keep my mouth shut in this department.

I tend to analyse traffic, perhaps over analyse. I can see some fairly nasty numbers when it comes to odd number based releases. Me personally hate KDE & think it looks too much like that "Other O/S" The end user evidently strongly disagrees with my opinions. I wish I had more time to devote to the theme and setting KDE as the default environment. I honestly just want it behind me.

I do not use any tool to build O/S's, however I have began writing a tool. The tool is not being written for me. I have been building O/S's for years and know what I am doing. I am building the tool for our admin, we have a few onboard that develop thier own O/S's. I have never used remastersys, however I have seen the results of what it builds & has many flaws. I am not saying I am perfect, when the tool shows its head I guess we will see ;)

My opinion, there is no replacement for doing things by hand. Insert tender love and care ;) Obviously my opinion is worthless as can be read above, least numbers tell me so. If I was a huge KDE fan, I suppose it does not matter... If I was as I am a Gnome fan, I would wait for 3.4, or 3.5 if I was a KDE fan. Why? LTS (long term support) sweatheart.

I have had admin try to talk me out of building 3.3 as well as 3.0.1 x64, claiming I am kicking a dead horse. Damn post of Man of my words keeps kicking my ass lol. Against my best intrest, the admin may win. Working 12 hrs a day and 7 days a week may drop the hammer on me. I just finished orentation yesterday, will start as early as next Friday as late as the Friday after. I am going to try and smash as many things as I can as fast as I can. My Itinerary at least for the time being has changed.

TheeMahn,
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby synrgy87 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:29 pm

I have had admin try to talk me out of building 3.3 as well as 3.0.1 x64, claiming I am kicking a dead horse. Damn post of Man of my words keeps kicking my ass lol. Against my best intrest, the admin may win. Working 12 hrs a day and 7 days a week may drop the hammer on me. I just finished orentation yesterday, will start as early as next Friday as late as the Friday after. I am going to try and smash as many things as I can as fast as I can. My Itinerary at least for the time being has changed.

been eagerly waiting on 3.0.1 x64 since the 32bit release here lol if anyone can physically reach whatever admin was trying to talk you out of it can they please kick them for me :) thanks. shame if it doesnt get a release as 3.0.1 32bit is really solid.

To be honest a while back i'd have agreed with you on KDE, but since unity and gnome 3 have come around its lead me to testing out every other plausible Desktop Environment, eventually i though well why not give latest KDE a crack, and i actually liked it (4.8) i hadnt used KDE since emmm a long time ago, maybe 2004-5 ish? its come along way. i still prefer gnome2 but hey, gotta move on sometimes.

what i do really like and appreciate is all the work, thinking and well pretty much everything put into Ultimate Edition. pretty much whatever you decide to do to move forward we(end users) can all have faith in.
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
8GB (2x4gb) Kingston HyperX DDR1600

160GB Hitachi deskstar(os and boot) 1TB deskstar(data) 1TB WD USB drive(backup+)
2x XFX ATI 5830 1024mb in crossfire
Saitek Eclipse keyboard + Saitek Cyborg V3 mouse + Thrustmaster T.Flight HotasX

Acer 23" HDTV/monitor + AOC 21"
Xigmatek Midgard Case.
multibooting all sorts + Ultimate Edition 3.5 / BlackOpal64 / windies 7 home premium 64bit
synrgy87
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Fri May 04, 2012 5:43 pm

synrgy87 wrote:

been eagerly waiting on 3.0.1 x64 since the 32bit release here lol if anyone can physically reach whatever admin was trying to talk you out of it can they please kick them for me :) thanks. shame if it doesnt get a release as 3.0.1 32bit is really solid.

To be honest a while back i'd have agreed with you on KDE, but since unity and gnome 3 have come around its lead me to testing out every other plausible Desktop Environment, eventually i though well why not give latest KDE a crack, and i actually liked it (4.8) i hadnt used KDE since emmm a long time ago, maybe 2004-5 ish? its come along way. i still prefer gnome2 but hey, gotta move on sometimes.

what i do really like and appreciate is all the work, thinking and well pretty much everything put into Ultimate Edition. pretty much whatever you decide to do to move forward we(end users) can all have faith in.

I greatly appologize brother, time is not currently on my side. We will see how fast Ultimate Edition 3.4 / 3.5 falls into place & go from there. If it makes you feel better, during mavericks release the same day they released it I was uploading a Ultimate Edition incarnation of it. Depends on the errors I deal with. Natty itself has set me way back. That is perhaps no pun intended the buggiest O/S I have EVER worked on, I have been doing this since Edgy Eft.

I am curious, does 11.04 work for you? I know 3.0.1 did. You do know alot and I mean alot of work I put in place. To be 100% forward, I probably will not have the time to repeat the process to make 64 bit a reality. I suppose my next major release will be my sixth year anniversary in building O/S's. I am thinking I have been running nix well over 10 years, however not a constructor of such. Now I feel old ;)

I as I said previous post said I had orentation for a company yesterday. The instructor asked me to think of someone successful, and even pointed out Bill Gates and Angla Jolie. I instantly thought of Linus Torvalds. She was quick to inform me of the "NO" factor and brought up Jim Carry's daughter on american Idol. Do you think for one second any of the above fills Linus's shoes? I love open source. Was there ever a NO situation? No, does not exist.

Let, me by he same token ask the world. Would it matter if I did accept NO as a answer. Mr. Breeg and I talked about this, no matter if you want my software or that of Cannonical, you are going to have it anyway. What deters the entire situation. Rest assured they are there for the $. I do try and think of the end user, I am not here for the $. That is a situation as a end user I would hate to be in.

Sorry for babling. Accepting a donation, was perhaps the worst thing I have done. It is not free to host 11 servers believe that, however the 12 hrs / 7 will pay for you to fly free. I have admin that do not know what servers I host. If you were to combine the traffic we see cloud is the only way to go. Which we have. My name is not google, did you know they see 1 million dollars of bandwidth for youtube per month, Yes google owns youtube :)

You guys keep going I will have to get a job at NASA. ;)
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby synrgy87 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Babling is good, thats what forums are for.

Wasnt a gripe and definitely no need for apologies, just throwing my 33.333 cents in, along with some appreciation.

Time never seems to be there when you want or need it, always seems to be on the opposite side that i completely understand

anyway, on the natty front i've not had an amazing experience with natty based installs however not sure if its me or my hardware, 12.04 seems to run alot better.

completely unrelated to anything but, i have a kind of way of thinking about things.
No matter how bad things get, they can always get worse, that way things aint really that bad.
anyway thats my bable :D

I look forward to anything that gets released under the Ultimate Edition brand.
Good luck with the new job too!
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
8GB (2x4gb) Kingston HyperX DDR1600

160GB Hitachi deskstar(os and boot) 1TB deskstar(data) 1TB WD USB drive(backup+)
2x XFX ATI 5830 1024mb in crossfire
Saitek Eclipse keyboard + Saitek Cyborg V3 mouse + Thrustmaster T.Flight HotasX

Acer 23" HDTV/monitor + AOC 21"
Xigmatek Midgard Case.
multibooting all sorts + Ultimate Edition 3.5 / BlackOpal64 / windies 7 home premium 64bit
synrgy87
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

3.4 release date ?

Postby geordiejohn » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:13 am

hello does any one know when u/e 3.4 will be released please ?
thank you.

Edited by Admin. You posted in Themes & Wallpapers section.

Topic asked before
Acer Aspire 5536
Screen 15.6 inch Glossy HD LED 1366 x 768
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200
Processor AMD Turion 64 X 2 Dual Core RM-74 @ 2.2 GHz
Memory 4GB
Hard disk 500GB
Battery Battery has been checked and holds roughly 20 Mins charge.
Optical drive DVD/RW
Operating system Windows Vista Home Premium
Webcam Yes
Card reader Yes
WiFi Yes
Extras Power supply
Ports 4 x USB, LAN, VGA, HDMI, Modem
geordiejohn
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby geordiejohn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:31 am

sorry about posting in the wrong section.
Acer Aspire 5536
Screen 15.6 inch Glossy HD LED 1366 x 768
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200
Processor AMD Turion 64 X 2 Dual Core RM-74 @ 2.2 GHz
Memory 4GB
Hard disk 500GB
Battery Battery has been checked and holds roughly 20 Mins charge.
Optical drive DVD/RW
Operating system Windows Vista Home Premium
Webcam Yes
Card reader Yes
WiFi Yes
Extras Power supply
Ports 4 x USB, LAN, VGA, HDMI, Modem
geordiejohn
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby Gelfling6 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Glad to see things back up & running again!
<BREW> :vil2_nouvelles :weeee :bon bon :th_yes_4
Gelfling6
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Location: Canton, Connecticut, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, 3rd star on the left...

Postby hungrywolf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:38 pm

where do I download 3.5 from pls?
HW
hungrywolf
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.5