Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Show desktop icon not working

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 3.5

Show desktop icon not working

Postby newbi462 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Found another bug in Ultimate Edition 3.5... the show desktop icon is not functional, no matter how many times you click it wont show the desktop... CTRL + ALT = D works though but odd....

I wish I could tell which card I was running so I had a clue if this was driver or software
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TheeMahn) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory:16GB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz
PCI bridge:Ivy Bridge PCI Express Root Port
+NVIDIA Corporation 2GB 640m
Audio device:NVIDIA Corporation
Audio device:Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller-Intel Corporation(on-board analogue audio)
Ethernet interface:RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
Wireless:AR9462 -Atheros Communications Inc.
newbi462
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Show desktop icon not working

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Since there are so many desktops in Ultimate there is a link between all! Find Cinnamon settings and have to put the check marks in for things you want to see on the desktop. Sorry for the poor explanation, just personally futzed my Cinnamon up and is gone now!(P.S Don't try to install Gnome Extensions!) Can't quite remember the exact one to show the icons on the desktop! Think it was window, not positive though! Just hope to help is all! If I can't there will be someone much more advanced than myself!!! Is a wealth of information on here! Check all the threads, is better than what I get at College!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby newbi462 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:18 pm

BBOSAK2143 wrote:Since there are so many desktops in Ultimate there is a link between all! Find Cinnamon settings and have to put the check marks in for things you want to see on the desktop. Sorry for the poor explanation, just personally futzed my Cinnamon up and is gone now!(P.S Don't try to install Gnome Extensions!) Can't quite remember the exact one to show the icons on the desktop! Think it was window, not positive though! Just hope to help is all! If I can't there will be someone much more advanced than myself!!! Is a wealth of information on here! Check all the threads, is better than what I get at College!!!

one problem I have KDE here talking about the KDE one.... and nothing from the other desktops is working... no compiz no cinnamon....
I would love COMPIZ --- SCALE and GRID... and EXPO from Cinnamon if it can be but T thins point I would settle for getting compiz to work
Audio device:Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller-Intel Corporation(on-board analogue audio)
newbi462
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:49 pm

Hope you are not going to hate me for this as I only want to help! Everything I have read is pointing to a bad load. This means you didn't format before installation just hit the automatic selection and let it go! Sometimes it works and other times it does not! Best results always come from formatting the drive before installation. There is a manual selection to choose reads something like "let me decide" is the best option to take and click format. Remember to use swap and the bootable drive is labeled as / which is where your system is loaded. A decent size swap of 4-8 gigs usually suffices. Without using swap, there can also be discrepancies! Am not trying to be mean or give you a hard time. Linux uses "generic drivers" to allow the user to have normal functions. Ultimate is sophisticated enough to give warning messages which driver needs to be installed. You won't get compiz to work unless your drivers are in compliance. If you need more help on reloading let me know have been there a few times! I experiment quite a bit!!!! Least Ultimate doesn't explode first time you try something "different" This is the reason I support Ultimate to the highest! I am doing my best to learn all functions and reactions, and Ultimate is very generous with it!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pam » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:18 am

for kde switch to kwin....and then try

for compiz to work genuinely, you will have to install either the exton or liquorix kernel and then your gt 640m drivers....

hmmm....reading from your other post Micro figured you are running a 32 bit ultimate edition 3.5.

download your driver from the link he gave.

Your ivy-bridge chip is better supported with kernel 3.6 and even more with 3.7

FOR NOW----Forget the kernel installation as that will be too great a task for you at this point....

Just remember this:

----FOR KDE use Kwin
----FOR Gnome-classic use metacity or compiz(may crash)
----Cinnamon/ Gnome-default will keep crashing (both are unstable)
----You could try lxde and by installing it from software-centre.

Try and do what Micro said in your compiz post for kernel installation ......if you are able to get it to work and boot to desktop 90% of your problems
are over....next just install the 32 bit nvidia drivers.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby newbi462 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:50 am

BBOSAK2143 wrote:Hope you are not going to hate me for this as I only want to help! Everything I have read is pointing to a bad load. This means you didn't format before installation just hit the automatic selection and let it go! Sometimes it works and other times it does not! Best results always come from formatting the drive before installation. There is a manual selection to choose reads something like "let me decide" is the best option to take and click format. Remember to use swap and the bootable drive is labeled as / which is where your system is loaded. A decent size swap of 4-8 gigs usually suffices. Without using swap, there can also be discrepancies! Am not trying to be mean or give you a hard time. Linux uses "generic drivers" to allow the user to have normal functions. Ultimate is sophisticated enough to give warning messages which driver needs to be installed. You won't get compiz to work unless your drivers are in compliance. If you need more help on reloading let me know have been there a few times! I experiment quite a bit!!!! Least Ultimate doesn't explode first time you try something "different" This is the reason I support Ultimate to the highest! I am doing my best to learn all functions and reactions, and Ultimate is very generous with it!!!!

I did do A REINSTALL AND ALL GOOD NOW... though was more a case of I did not nknow where the on switch was... once i set the proper window managment the icon works....I did not know where the setting was... acadently tried over it tryng to click somthing else... good thing to because it was what i was looking for that was not getting awnsered... new you had to have a togal switch somewhere
newbi462
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.5