Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Hardening Network Security.

Help and support for Ultimate Edition Server

Hardening Network Security.

Postby TheeMahn » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:10 am

Up to and including Ultimate Edition 5.7 Server, hardening server security was very lax. I am not saying it does not do a good job, but opens tons of doors for those connected to your network. Most people want exactly that. If I give you permission to my network you have access to Terabytes of information at your fingertips and I do not care if it is with a phone. I want my Roku 4K TV to access movies, the list goes on.

I do NOT however want Billy Bob whom I have never met from Romania accessing that data. Ultimate Edition 5.7 Server is for the most part a closed home server. Things are about to change in Ultimate Edition Land. If I want to access data from work (I do this now securely). I have set up Ultimate Edition 5.9's Apache2 to use https, TLS as well internal proxy to be able to provide me the data I request securely locally or even remotely. I can access data via Secure FTP, actually I can securely SSH into the server remotely. If you have no intentions of using resources in your home from afar or remote data access I highly suggest you stick with Ultimate Edition 5.7 Server at least for now.

Even with heightened security, why open a door if you do not have to? I dropped the Hacker challenge to see where I was at in setting external security, evidently I did well & the server remains unblemished. There is nothing like throwing yourself under the bus ladies & gentlemen.

I am now hardening the server against DOS (Denial of service) attacks. This is probably 10 times harder to do then what I accomplished above. Most hackers (actual term is crackers) are interested more in ripping a server offline. I have done this in the past, I have rendered servers off line permanently in the past. This has been at least 10 or 15 years ago, when I was immature & did give me solid feeling of accomplishment. This is a false feeling your brain sends you. Your brain sends Endorphins rushing through your body. I am smart enough to look back and understand.

Why did I do it to begin with? I get banned from a server & just shut them down, HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT B!T@H? I used to write software with that sole purpose in mind. I used my talents for bad, not good. Realization has since sunk in. That individual that banned me was doing their job when I rendered their entire server offline. The reality is that I wiped thousands of users from using their service. That is why they call it denial of service. I now have to sit on the other side of that leaf and use my skills for the good to stop that.

I understand the drive.

Give me a minute to get things fully under control,

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Return to Ultimate Edition Server