Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Members Introductions

Reasons to register...
Forum rules
One Warning only ......
This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites. Please consider this before you contemplate posting, otherwise, your ISP will be advised of your activities.

short follow-up

Postby jmilo » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:24 pm

Thanks all for the warm welcome...
So I finished downloading and burning Ultimate Edition 1.6 - did a clean install...
Everything works...no problems whatsoever...no intervention required...
The two tiny issues I had with the vanilla Gutsy Gibbon distro are history...
I'm at the perfect resolution, rockin' out with my mp3's...
I love the black theme as well, much easier on the eyes...
I now keep 2 extra live dvds in the car to show off to my friends...
Thanks again!
The command line is what separates us from the apes...
jmilo
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Re: short follow-up

Postby DaddyX3 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:22 pm

jmilo wrote:Thanks all for the warm welcome...
So I finished downloading and burning Ultimate Edition 1.6 - did a clean install...
Everything works...no problems whatsoever...no intervention required...
The two tiny issues I had with the vanilla Gutsy Gibbon distro are history...
I'm at the perfect resolution, rockin' out with my mp3's...
I love the black theme as well, much easier on the eyes...
I now keep 2 extra live dvds in the car to show off to my friends...
Thanks again!

.... and thats the way all installs should go :D
ps- have you checked the hardware section? Please add-to if you can. Sounds like you have a good compatible setup :idea:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Re: hello world...

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:26 pm

jmilo wrote:I thought I'd pause for a moment and say hi, since there is a thread here to do that...

I've been around a long time as a computer enthusiast, my handle was General Idea since the early 80's (in case there are some fossils that know me). From the C64 days of DMBBS and my Apple IIGS (1st home computer to display 1024 colors), to the 386/486 days with WWIV bulletin boards (I ran Synchronet with 3 nodes and a whopping 1gb online!). I remember the first file I retrieved from "the internet" by emailing the username archie on my favorite bbs with the filename on the subject line. I remember when I first saw a friend installing linux - it was a slackware distro on a TON of floppies. Years ago,I first installed mandrake 7 on a multi-homed k62 500mhz to use as a router/firewall. I never really used linux for anything more than a very specific appliance-like role, preferring instead to stick with a Windows (or sometimes Mac) environment for my personal desktop or server/network OS.

Since all of the happy reminiscence above, I've worked in IT for a decade. Lots of system administration,maintenance and on-the-spot programming, from AS400's and RPG to legacy windows systems and pickBASIC, to Windows NT (which really rocked, IMHOP) and C++ to Debian and CentOS servers and JAVA development. Still never used linux for my personal computer. Lots of my friends and colleagues went though a wild-eyed phase at one point or another where they would rant to me about how much they loved linux and would never willingly run a windows OS ever again. I always had a huge CD spellbook of software and utilities that I preferred, all of which ran only on windows.

I recently bought a seemingly POS desktop computer at Circuit City (open-box special) - an Acer T690. I had no problem with the brand name as I have always appreciated "what's under the hood" hardware-wise. It came with Vista Home Premium, OEM, preinstalled and activated. I suppose this was a floor model as it had a horrible desktop wallpaper and the hostname was circuit city - still ok, it was a sweet deal for such small money.

Vista was horrible, it ran like an absolute pig (HD access light flared constantly!) on a nicely equipped machine with a Pentium dual-core processor, 2 gigs ram and a decent SATA drive. I figured it might be running poorly because of something it went through as a floor model. I used a handy bootcd to write zeroes to the drive 7 times over (good practice when buying a used computer) and reinstalled vista using the OEM product key on the side of the case.

It still ran like a pig...for two days... then it gave me a dialogue screen telling me that my serial number was not valid, with two options - the automated phone system (which would pi$$ me off to no end) or to buy another product key online (I would sooner cut out one of my kidneys and set it on fire atop the acer tower as an obscure ritual sacrifice to the computer UI gods, lol). Nothing else that I have ever encountered on a computer has ever annoyed me quite as much as this.

I minimized the offensive dialogue and did a quick google search only to learn that I was about to enter limited functionality mode (the MS version of "a world of pain" as per the Big Lebowsky). I had also read a nice article earlier that day on Slashdot.org from a guy who really loved the new Ubuntu release - gutsy gibbon versus vista. So rather than reboot, I fired up a torrent and downloaded gutsy gibbon.

The next reboot, rather than see if I was in limited functionality mode, I booted from cd and checked out ubuntu for compatability. The sound worked immediately, I gave it a wep key and was on firefox checking my gmail in under a minute. All I could think is "this is pretty sweet"... Feeling good about hardware support, I clicked the install icon on the desktop and browsed the net while it spun up the disk (also pretty sweet). I stumbled across a torrent for Ultimate Edition 1.5 with a great text description by TheMahn... I snagged the torrent for the moment, thinking that it might be way better for me to get up and running with than the regular ubuntu distro (even though Ultimate Edition 1.5 is Feisty Fawn based and I am currently running gutsy gibbon).

Having run gutsy gibbon for a week or two, I am very happy with it - I do have some issues I've been tinkering at with little success. I have an xorg.conf issue with my video mode - I'm stuck at 800x600, tried to run Envy, but it gives me errors. Pretty sure I have an integrated ATI 256mb card and I'm not too worried about it, I'll get that right. I've always been very handy with various command line interfaces so "apt-get install" is about as easy as it gets. I've tried to grab codec packages (xmms2?) to get my machine to play an mp3, still doesn't work right. These are just a few small gripes out of the box, they are all well documented, even by the helpful users on this forum.

I ran across a link on a digg article somewhere today that brought me here, to this forum. I am currently downloading Ultimate Edition v1.6, and cannot wait to burn it up and do a clean install. I actually downloaded and burned up Ultimate Edition v1.5 a few days ago, before I knew 1.6 was released.

At any rate, I've written quite the scroll here - and that's totally unlike me....
But I want to acknowledge that this is clearly the most useful linux distro by a wide margin. I am quite sure that there are other Vista users out there that encountered the same BS dialog that I did. Maybe they will wind up doing a google search and find this post or this forum in general. They will probably download a livecd and try it first, like I did...

TheMahn and his contributors in this community get mad props (in the parlance of our times) and thanks in my book. The Ultimate Edition represents the maturation of the linux OS and open-source software in general to the point where it can be really useful in a lot of ways to a lot of people with very little user-effort or know-how. This is also the only open-source community I have ever entertained the notion of participating in. But one thing at a time...

'nuff said,
jmilo

Wow, that was quite the spew of info ;) Glad to see a fellow old school, welcome aboard. Filling up my new toy ;)
Attachments
snapshot1.png
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Re: Introducing and thanks!

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:37 pm

thanathos wrote:Hi, I'm Thanathos, I live in Argentina and am a marketer, advertising speciallist, web developer, artist, independent worker, husband and father.
I discovered Ultimate Edition 1 month ago.
This is the best distro I ever found.
I'm using it now to my daily work, and being a Windoze user since the 3.0 version, it was a little bit strange at first, but never difficult.
I want to give THANKS to TheeMahn because of this excellent and really impressive work he's doing, creating and maintaining a community, the repos, and etc.
I've found not only the power of Ubuntu, packed with the best Open source software selection installed, but also the almost total independence of Windoze.
TheeMahn, if I can ever be of any help, please do not hesitate to PM me, I'll be glad to help!
Man, you are so cool!
Thanks again,

Thanathos

Thanks, for your kind comments, sorry I can not be here all the time to post. I am glad you like it.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Re: Members Introductions

Postby cristof1913 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:06 am

Hi to all!
I'm a student of Aeronautical engineering from Spain. Since various years ago I've been interested in getting into the Linux world and finally I get it.
I find Ubuntu and likes me but there were something that I missed.... I looked for that and finally I find the fantastic work of TheeMahn.
I introduced myself with the Ultimate Edition 1.4 and found that I missed in the "usual" Ubuntu.

The only thing I can say to TheeMahn is thanks for all the work made and for the continuous support which offers.

Finally, I've a question for TheeMahn. How do you program in Fortran in Ultimate Edition? What compiler or program do you use?
In my studies we work primarily with Fortran and I would like your opinion.

Again, thanks for all
cristof1913
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.1 64 BIT

Postby bagheera1994 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:55 am

Hello board members,

At first i'm from the netherlands (and we don't eat our children, and we don't have legalised all drugs! ;) ) and please don't nagg about
misspells in mine postings...... :)

I'm unix certified (and working in high level network techn. millitary) and i'm a windows user.
Love to program / do pentesting / do some webdevelopment /do some graphics.

After years of playing with different linux distros i decided to give the ultimate distro a try.
I'm in search of a distro that runs smoothly from the box on mine 2 laptops. (Asus A6R And Asus F3tc)
atm I'm using a own customized livecd (backtrack2), and 2 dutch native distros: Nonux , PClinuxOs NL.

Maybe i will stick around (after i have tested UU 1.5/1.6) or i will leave you guys and girls....

One question pops up in mind immediatly.. Is the name extension "Ultimate" not protected by microsoft?
Don't wanna wake a biting dog but i'm just curious.....

Greetz from the netherlands, little country in a big big world....
Bagheera1994
Born in august 1973.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_23
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.{Mahatma Gandhi}
bagheera1994
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby DaddyX3 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:06 pm

Welcome aboard Bagheera1994. Sounds like you have some knowledge that could be very useful to us all... military. Only kidding ;) But I hope you will stick around, it sounds like you have a broad knowledge base with Winblows and uinux. As far as "Ultimate" is concerned ... Where would society draw the line if every word in the dictionary was a registered trademark? I have brought that same question up as well. It appears though as of late, that Ubuntu is the only trademark we are concerned with at the moment :o Besides this, I think that Microsoft has enough haters in the world and don't need anymore of this aprox. 1% of OS shares. This is what I hope. I don't like the idea that everything must cost money, and that you don't have anywhere else to turn too, with Operating Systems. This is the beautiful part about GPL :D I've been a Winblows user since 3.1 and I think that there is nothing more frusterating than purchasing a product that does not function 100% without problems, honestly would you buy a car that "sometimes" stops when you want it too? Granted linux/debian distros are not always 100%, but you don't have to pay a dime!So your headaches are free here :lol:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:22 pm

cristof1913 wrote:Hi to all!
I'm a student of Aeronautical engineering from Spain. Since various years ago I've been interested in getting into the Linux world and finally I get it.
I find Ubuntu and likes me but there were something that I missed.... I looked for that and finally I find the fantastic work of TheeMahn.
I introduced myself with the Ultimate Edition 1.4 and found that I missed in the "usual" Ubuntu.

The only thing I can say to TheeMahn is thanks for all the work made and for the continuous support which offers.

Finally, I've a question for TheeMahn. How do you program in Fortran in Ultimate Edition? What compiler or program do you use?
In my studies we work primarily with Fortran and I would like your opinion.

Again, thanks for all

I have never written a program in Fortran in Linux, and it has been many many years since I have used it, personally I find it somewhat of a useless language unless you are doing alot of mathematical equations. You may want to look here.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby Sno » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to say "great job" and introduce myself.

Snocrash :twisted:

Located in Chicago Illinois, USA.

Been using Ubuntu since it came out. Ran most of them before that...Slackware, Redhat, Fedora, Debian, Gentoo, LFS, Mandrake, Knoppix, NetBSD, FreeBSD, etc.....First one was Redhat 5.3 i think.....been a while.

As I said, great job and thanks,

-Sno
Attachments
Screenshot1.jpg
Purddy screenshot
Then the women got the vote, and everything went to hell..... Drinking and gambling and whoring were declared unlawful. All those things which come natural to men became crimes.

-Tector Crites, The life and times of Judge Roy Bean.
Sno
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:34 pm

Sno wrote:Hi All,

Just wanted to say "great job" and introduce myself.

Snocrash :twisted:

Located in Chicago Illinois, USA.

Been using Ubuntu since it came out. Ran most of them before that...Slackware, Redhat, Fedora, Debian, Gentoo, LFS, Mandrake, Knoppix, NetBSD, FreeBSD, etc.....First one was Redhat 5.3 i think.....been a while.

As I said, great job and thanks,

-Sno

Thanks for not only taking the time to register, but to give thanks as well; Happy Thanksgiving ;) Nice screenshot too BTW.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Why Register on this forum?