Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Desktop

Help and support for Ultimate Edition 4.4

Desktop

Postby TSgtT » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi, thank you for the latest version of Ultimate Edition. We have been using Ultimate Edition since 3.8 and I really enjoy it. I do how ever have a question. I just installed 4.4 and don't have a traditional desktop with the start menu and such. Is there a way to get the view to show the traditional desktop with the start menu and the desktop icons?

Thanks,

Rob
Dell Optiplex 755
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5400 512Meg
Ultimate Edition 4.4 64bit
TSgtT
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Desktop

Postby TSgtT » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:06 am

I'm running the full 64bit version. Is this any better in my signature block?

Rob
Dell Optiplex 755
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5400 512Meg
TSgtT
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby TSgtT » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:58 am

Got it figured out, downloaded the mate desktop and switched to it when I logged in.

Thanks,
Rob
Dell Optiplex 755
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon 5400 512Meg
TSgtT
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Gator Tech » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:29 pm

I am having the same issue but am unfamiliar with the "Mate desktop" Noob here ya know! I am running 4.4 x 64 Full from sourceforge. All I am getting is the Plymouth desktop. Works great but very plane and only has the Activities Tab at top. What steps have I missed after install?
Installed Ultimate Edition 3.4 x 64 and am running Ultimate Edition 4.4 x 64 Full on Dell Studio 1737 Intel core 2 dual Dual drive dual Op sys.
Gator Tech
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Can you post a screenshot, I am confused as I just installed this not too long ago, and it was definitely Mate. It sounds like you are describing Gnome, and Plymouth is that graphic you see on boot, the spinny thing, etc.

It doesn't have compiz(wobbly Windows, Cube) set so is somewhat plain, but if you did "Download updates while installing" it probably updated Mate or kicked it for Gnome as Thee can't seem to stay away from it even though it is really really really really not necessary and is actually a detriment to Mate at this point. When Mate updates it resets the Desktop and you have to go in and set it up again. Gnome is Gnome, it will look boring and plain no matter what you do. Gnome DE is what happens when your imagination dies.

My suggestion is to install and only click the box for non-free(mp3, Bob Loblaw), and leave the update while installing check-free.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Gator Tech » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:55 pm

ScreenshotA.jpg
ScreenshotB.jpg
My screen shots...
Installed Ultimate Edition 3.4 x 64 and am running Ultimate Edition 4.4 x 64 Full on Dell Studio 1737 Intel core 2 dual Dual drive dual Op sys.
Gator Tech
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:26 pm

Gator Tech wrote:Can this be my third post please!

Sure

Yep, Definitely Gnome.

Logout and see if you have the Option to choose Mate, Xbmc should be installed so the option to switch Session will be available.

If it is not, you can install Mate, as in the post above. I know the mate repos are installed but Ubuntu also has Mate as well, so

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
should do it for a full mate Installation, and if for some reason that did not work,

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-mate-core ubuntu-mate-desktop
and you can go over the Wiki if you are unsure.

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download

Ultimate Edition 4.4 is Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn based.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:38 pm

I just looked here...
http://ultimateedition.info/index.php/u ... ition-4-4/

and according to that it has Gnome and Mate, so Gnome is default.

I was trying to find a picture that didn't suck but click on the circle icon next to your name where you login.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Gator Tech » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:16 am

Darn my noobs are showing! Ran
If it is not, you can install Mate, as in the post above. I know the mate repos are installed but Ubuntu also has Mate as well, so

sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment

should do it for a full mate Installation, and if for some reason that did not work,

It worked great! :mrgreen:

Screenshot.png

Thanks to all for help and especially to Xanayoshi!
Gator Tech
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Gator Tech » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Edit: this was somewhat a repeat due to posting issues that have been resolved. :mrgreen:

Hey All thanks for the help and especially Xanayoshi! I reinstalled mate and then I noticed the gear symbol upon sign in. Not sure if it was there before, but all is Good now! :D

Screenshot.png

Screenshot-3.png
Gator Tech
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 4.4