Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

U. E. 4.2 failing boot after presumed failed update

Feedback for Ultimate Edition 4.2

U. E. 4.2 failing boot after presumed failed update

Postby uenuubguy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:31 pm

I've been running U. E. 4.2 for several days now, and it's been working mostly fine, but a few days ago I started having boot issues. I'd been working with the Linux From Scratch book and had inadvertently changed ownership of / to my lfs user. I got that straightened away, but then on boot Lightdm would fail to launch. Pressing ctrl-alt-fx didn't do anything, either. So I booted into the latest kernel's recovery mode and launched Lightdm as root, and then logged in as my user. While logged in, I ran an apt upgrade. I had to leave the house to do something, so I left my computer to run while I was gone. When I came back, the computer was running, and the screen was on but black. ctrl-alt-fx did nothing, so I did a hard shutdown. The next day I found that a family member had shut down my computer (or tried to) minutes after I left the house. Now, U. E. won't boot. Neither of the two kernel entries or their recovery modes will get past different parts of the boot process. If needed I can upload pics/print out exactly where each kernel option freezes.

I'm thinking my maching was made to shut down while installing the updates, and so I chrooted into the install from my Ubuntu install and ran apt dist-upgrade. Now I have another kernel option to choose, but it too (along with it's recovery mode) freezes.

If more info is needed I'll be happy to provide. Thanks in advance for any help. ;)
3.0 GHz AMD A8-3870K unlocked APU with integrated AMD Radeon HD 6550D graphics
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws RAM
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7500RPM, SATA 6GBps
2TB Western Digital Green 7500RPM, 6GBps
Ubuntu 14.10
Ultimate Edition 4.2
Arch Linux
Kubuntu 14.10 wth. Plasma 5
uenuubguy
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Other Linux