Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

No Manageable Screens Found (SOLVED!)

Help & Support for Ultimate Gamers Edition.

No Manageable Screens Found (SOLVED!)

Postby Infinity » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Two days Ago I played around with installing world of warcraft, which is nearly updated now, playable, using playonlinux. I attempted to get it to read the dvd and mount it as hidden, but nothing worked, so I downloaded the client and this worked fine. I would have preferred the dvd method and saved many of the gigs. I adjusted things to work in a nice windowed screen.

Consequently, my wallpaper disappeared on my next login. I now have a white screen. I searched for many answers, and in the quest, disabled desktop effects, purged my nvidia drivers and reinstalled them with gdm stopped.

Finally, I installed a compiz check as was suggested on one of these threads, on this forum.

The result was this:

compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Launching fallback window manager
Window manager warning: Window 0x3c00001 (World of W) sets an MWM hint indicating it isn't resizable, but sets min size 1 x 1 and max size 2147483647 x 2147483647; this doesn't make much sense.
Window manager warning: Window 0x3c00001 (World of W) sets an MWM hint indicating it isn't resizable, but sets min size 1 x 1 and max size 2147483647 x 2147483647; this doesn't make much sense.

I don't really know what to do to get my desktop back and how to set the world of warcraft, since it mentions this game specifically.

Now, the last thought I had was, if it turns out reinstalling is better, which is a last resort, as many gigabytes have been put on my computer this month, due to it being a new build, and an extra hardrive, so several different distros have been updated already, quite a few gigabytes used. So, it would really be a last resort. However if that happens, can I save the downloaded wow, and move that wine folder in wine to another partition temporarily.

A last question would be, if I did have to reinstall, I might want to try the newer Gamers 3.0, though its a 32 bit. The one I installed is 64. I do have 2 hardrives, but it would be easier to reinstall on this one. Can I mix 64 and 32 bits on the same hardrive?

Thank you ahead of time, if anyone is able to help me. <BREW>
Last edited by Infinity on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Infinity
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: No Manageable Screens Found

Postby pclinuxguru » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:37 pm

should be a simple fix actually.

seen this more times then I can count.

First - installing off DVD isnt the right way. Copy all data from the DVD to a temp folder , make the exe installer executable via permissions.

Thats just a free tip lol

the fix, using synaptic COMPLETELY remove all graphics drivers.

Once completely removed, just make sure all xorg and xconfigs are deleted.

Now fresh install all graphics drivers and remember to run the configs before restart.

Going off memory here, and my memory sucks in my old age.

Code: Select all
sudo nvidia-xconfig

sudo aticonfig --initial
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby Infinity » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:26 pm

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:should be a simple fix actually.

seen this more times then I can count.

First - installing off DVD isnt the right way. Copy all data from the DVD to a temp folder , make the exe installer executable via permissions.

Thats just a free tip lol

the fix, using synaptic COMPLETELY remove all graphics drivers.

Once completely removed, just make sure all xorg and xconfigs are deleted.

Now fresh install all graphics drivers and remember to run the configs before restart.

Going off memory here, and my memory sucks in my old age.

sudo nvidia-xconfig

sudo aticonfig --initial

I'll try all of this, and cross my fingers here. Thank you also for your quick response.
Infinity
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Infinity » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:03 pm

@Gúrú Linux ríomhaire:

I do want to thank you! :D it initially brought me to a black screen altogether but rebooting in safe mode, I repaired and then did at the command prompt installed the nvidia current, modaliases, settings and rebooted. Have wallpaper again.

I'm going to open up the wow, and see if playing it for a couple minutes, rebooting still has it solved. Note I've also not enabled special effects currently. If this works, I'll mark as this as solved.
Infinity
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Infinity » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:09 pm

I still have a desktop! <BREW> :D
Thanks for the fast response. It seemed I had to purge or delete and then reinstall several times to work properly.
Infinity
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to Ultimate Gamers Edition