Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

all disks 'format' boxes checked-solved

Help & Support for Ultimate Gamers Edition.

all disks 'format' boxes checked-solved

Postby marvinudy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:38 pm

I started an install(3 times) UE-2.3 Gamer Edition from the fully booted mode and in the step after selecting 'manual partitioning' all the boxes for 'format' of all drives were 'x-ed' in. Tried manual edit out the 'xs' in every partition but had no effect. The system has three SATA drives with a combined total of about 28 partitions, C2D e-6420 processor, EVGA-9500 video card and 4 Gb fo 6400 Gskill memory

Any help, ideas or directions to read will be appreciated.

The DVD 'burn' was good, done at 4x and the check sum matched.

Best regards,

marvinudy
Last edited by marvinudy on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvinudy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Re: all disks 'format' boxes checked

Postby Moebius » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:29 am

Just a quick suggestion - To make things a little cleaner, how about physically disconnecting the other 2 Sata drives, leaving just the one you wish to install to. I know its not a solution, but may make things a bit simpler when a solution comes along.
Also, as a quick thought, whilst in Live mode, In your menus, choose System->Administration->Partition Editor and create your partition this way first, then during install, choose this partition.

Just quick thoughts. ;)
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby marvinudy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:22 am

Moebius,

Thanks for your reply. Time difference caused the delay in response. Also, a 'brain fart' caused me not to mention that I have other version of Ultimate Edition on each of the three dives that installed perfectly.

I tried to pre-format the install partition from the live cd prior to install with no change in the issue.

Regarding disconnecting the drives, I've had really bad experiences doing that. Installs that way seem to give "grub" a heart attack and I have a mix master of other distributions installed on the three drives, some of which have Grub 2.0 in their root partitions.

I have an older "test" machine with two drives that I'll try an install on and report back progress or failure.

Best regards,

marvinudy.

Follow up: Tried to install on "test" machine, [email protected]& 1GB DDR with same issue. Ultimate Edition 2.3 installed fine. Probably an obscure bug in the installer program?

Thanks again for your input.
marvinudy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:48 am

Hello marvinudy.

Did you have try to use super grub for you issues?
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

INCREDIBLE FEATURES

Gnu/Linux:

* Fix Boot of Gnu/Linux (GRUB)
* Boot Gnu/Linux
* Boot Gnu/Linux Directly

Advanced Gnu/Linux:

* (BETA!) Fix Boot of Gnu/Linux (LILO)
* Boot Gnu/Linux partition
* Activate Linux partition

Windows:

* Fix Boot of Windows
* Boot Windows
* Boot Windows on a second hard disk
* Boot Windows on a second partition

Advanced Windows:

* Boot Windows from another hard disk
* Activate Windows partition

Boot & Tools:

* Boot MBR
* Boot Partition
* Boot Sub-Partition
* Activate partition
* Hide partition
* UnHide partition

GRUB:

* Boot your Linux or another OS again
* Restore GRUB to a hard disk MBR
* Restore GRUB to a partition
* Uninstall GRUB

Boot another OSs:

* Boot Hurd
* Install Hurd
* Boot OpenSolaris

Special boot:

* Swap hard disks and boot

some more help:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i ... 06.html.en
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/forum/index.php?board=2.0
Admin-Amir

Postby jslick1jim » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:03 am

You might have to set that drive as boot, i've run into that before. after install should be good to go.
Just some past exp. hope it helps.
ImageMotherboard Msi Eclipse Sli
Cpu intel i7 920
Mem 6gig ddr3
x-fi extreme audio
ps2 keyboard
usb razer mouse
2 sata2 320 wd hd
2 ide 320 wd hd
2 segate 1tb hd
4 wd black 1tb hd
Visontek 5870
Hp Officejet Pro 8500 wireless
Lian Li PC-343B Modular Black Aluminum Cube Case
32in Olevia LCD HD TV
Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 bit
jslick1jim
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Re: all disks 'format' boxes checked-solved

Postby marvinudy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:02 pm

To all,

My bad, my bad & my bad. The "checked" ''grayed out" format boxes in the 2.3 gamer edition install menu do not become active until you change the "do not use this partition" to something else from the sub-menu. I finally saw that the 'grayed out' check marks become a bright yellow check mark after selecting the desired type of format scheme. After realizing this, the install went perfectly.

My only excuse is a paranoia involving prior unintended 'partitioning' that caused a lot of grief and extra work because I missed some minor detail. I also checked the standard Ultimate Edition 2.3 install and it has the "old" scheme of blank boxes that show an "X" after 'format' is selected.

Hope this helps some other paranoid user who freaks out when they see 'format' boxes checked during the install process of UE-2.3 gamer edition.

Best regards,

marvinudy
marvinudy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to Ultimate Gamers Edition