Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition Gamer on a NAS?

Help & Support for Ultimate Gamers Edition.

Ultimate Edition Gamer on a NAS?

Postby Saturn2888 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:40 am

I was wondering if I could put UE2.0 Gamer on a NAS or a Server and be able to boot from it on multiple un-like machines somehow. I'm guessing I could use PXE to boot to it; although I'd hope there'd be a much easier way.

Here's the thing, I don't wanna have 10 installs of it. I wanna have one install, have multiple machines be able to access the same version and just log in with different PC-specific usernames to say which is which. Right at the moment, all the rigs have ATi graphics cards and Intel processors. One of them is running Crossfire so that might end up being an issue just in general.

1. I'm looking first for if it would be possible
2. Then I wanna see how it would be possible
3. I wanna see if I can get it possible for myself and my own configuration
4. I will modify one of my other rigs into a custom server for this purpose
5. I'll even test it out for you

I have three machines right now running Linux and a very amazing network infrastructure at the moment with tons of extra hardware and parts lying around and the foundations for a full gigabit Ethernet network ready. Feel free to let me try out and test things out for you guys if you're up for helping me set this up. I think it would be neat and great if it could be implemented. Think of how it would change LAN parties! You'd have Ultimate Edition Linux LANs, ha ha ha. Oh, I don't have gigabit ethernet all around, but if I bought another GigE switch I'd have it.

In my case, I have a lot of machines and would just like to be able to play any of the network-capable Ultimate Edition games at home on my better machines which are running Windows. Linux is there merely to play around with. I have started to move it out to people, but I actually like Windows and don't feel like switching full-time, but I wouldn't at all mind the ability to use Linux as much as I can provided there's an easy way to do it without compromising my system.

6. Wanna setup a way so that I can VPN with another similar system at a friend's house
7. Would have it so any updates to either side are automatically updated to the other
8. Setup a way over the VPN to play games but make it so it knows there's a link that's not at gigabit speeds.

This all seems like a fantastically great idea that most people would actually be able to utilize. With N wireless spreading and the fact that laptops still have wired Ethernet ports on them, I think this is 100% feasible but would take quite a bit of time and effort and testing yet it could be one of the greatest ways to get people involved with Linux without their machines having to do really anything other than run an OS.

I don't want comments like "this is stupid" or "why do you care?". If you're gonna comment, then help me out here please. I'm writing this on the Ultimate Edition forums since I assume the devs check it as well as people who know their stuff and are willing to really try something new.
Saturn2888
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 Gamers

Re: Ultimate Edition Gamer on a NAS?

Postby LeadFingers » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:28 am

Here's a cool question!

The short answer, YES.
What you're looking for is called a Thin Client, where several boxes with minimum hardware (and usually no HD) are networked to a main box.

I've never set one up, so any other information I gave you would be an educated guess or copied from another site but here's a few links to get you started.

The thin client wiki ..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

Linux Server Terminal Project ..... http://www.ltsp.org/

Linux Thin Client Networks Design and Deployment
http://www.packtpub.com/linux-thin-client-networks-open-source/book

ThinClientHowto - Community Ubuntu Documentation
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ThinClientHowto

The packages available to make this work on Ultimate Edition
Ubuntu -- Details of source package thin-client-manager in intrepid
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/intrepid/thin-client-manager
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Ultimate Edition Gamer on a NAS?

Postby Saturn2888 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:18 am

Finally, I found this thread again. I didn't have it to auto-notify me before so I never caught wind of it. Awesome. Could said Thin client be basically a USB drive I boot to which calls on the NAS for the OS and that gets transferred over; that way I can do this for all my rigs?
Saturn2888
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 Gamers

Return to Ultimate Gamers Edition