Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

(Discussion)How to install the latest KDE from backports.

Re: (Discussion)How to install the latest KDE from backports

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:43 am

boarder428 wrote:Ok, I must appologize here. Some people have sent me PM's and for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to reply. When I click on reply and type a message and submit I get told that no recipients have been choosen or added or something to that effect. I thought hitting reply would be the same as hitting reply in an email and it would actually reply to the person who messaged me! Anyhow, seems I have made a mistake and Installed 3.4 LTS not Lite. Anyhow it seem that it's time for me to give up on this KDE install, every time I do so my system breaks and I have to re-install and it's time to live by the code "If it Aint Broke, Don't Fix It"

I am not sure why the PM is not working, I never had an issue with it before, but it has been brought to my attention.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:55 am

boarder428 wrote:Ok, I must appologize here. Some people have sent me PM's and for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to reply. When I click on reply and type a message and submit I get told that no recipients have been choosen or added or something to that effect. I thought hitting reply would be the same as hitting reply in an email and it would actually reply to the person who messaged me! Anyhow, seems I have made a mistake and Installed 3.4 LTS not Lite. Anyhow it seem that it's time for me to give up on this KDE install, every time I do so my system breaks and I have to re-install and it's time to live by the code "If it Aint Broke, Don't Fix It"

I did a 3.4 guide on OZ on but with some major differences. Technically, both versions of 3.4 are LTS, but the differences are pretty huge. As for the PM, can you click on where it says PM and send me a message that way? I don't know what is going on there, I have recieved pm from admin yesterday. Also, I edited your post, please try to avoid..well, you can spot it :D

This is a little advanced, but am trying to make it as simple as I can, unfortunately I can not freeze the backports to remain consistent. I can test as I go, and everything will be relevant at the time of writing. If there is a want for installing the base, non-backports, I can happily walk you through this, although 4.8.5 has become intolerable to me after using versions 4.9.5 and above.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:21 pm

boarder428 wrote:
Xanayoshi wrote:When you do get to the display manager option...choose lightdm. If you need to know how, look up. Do not exit because you will not be done. When the install is complete, you will see $ Afterwards, you will need to assign permissions to kde4 files to actually open the session from the dm.

So I finally got this installed, not sure how to assign permissions to kde4 but as soon as I got in I tried to switch the window manager from compiz to kwin and after doing so the kicker menu was non responsive so I changed back to compiz and it was still non-responsive so I rebooted and now the desktop is very sluggish and I lost all the icons in the lower right corner of the screen. It also initially came up with a crash report aswell

To be clear...you lost this?

test1.png

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm

A couple things on KDE installs, especially with Ulimate Edition.

Things take a minute to settle, there will be many reboots.

To get kwin and compiz seperated, it is ideal to prepare ahead, so if you are in Gnome or Mate running compiz and you are going to switch DE, switch the window manager and exit, then load into session, but as a rule, if I am logging out and switching sessions and start having window troubles I reboot. After system has been in use for a little while and is used to loading back and forth between DE (which can also take some time, also there will be crash reports in KDE, basically if a KDE application crashes outside of KDE it will show up when you load KDE) you will have an easier time switching the window manager.

Keep in mind, backports=experimental.
This would be the Debian equivalent of Siduction

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:44 pm

For the record, I am very appreciative of your input. I will put warnings up.

To shed some light, I want KDE to be useful in Ultimate Edition.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Well..I think 3.5 is a little broken in the KDE department. Most 4.8.5 are broken in the KDE department. However, there was no approach to clarity when it came to this and I want to see KDE implemented in future releases. Unfortunately I think there is an incredible lack of information on KDE on this site. That was fine before 3.5.

If you run through the forum post 3.5 release you will notice if you are KDE experienced that almost all of the solutions are taken from the wrong angle, mainly, not with KDE in mind but Gnome/Unity/Fallback/Cinnamon/Mate, etc, which is from an entirely different group. KDE does not need a huge suite of outside programs to make it work like Gnome. If you want special effects on your desktop, the solution is not to install outside programs(for example...COMPIZ, gnome-tweak-tool, ubuntu-tweak, gnome-color-chooser) but to go into system settings.

Still, this is experimental. I think it might be easier to approach this from a compile angle, but then the variables increase and we will all get washed away in a sea of technicality.

On the plus side, this WILL get you familiar with your Linux systems.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:39 pm

I apoligise in advance but I am locking

http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=9040

but feel free to post here.

This is basically a copy--

This is for Ultimate Edition 3.5

This is my 3.5 project, what this will do is remove Unity, Cinnamon, the original KDE install, and replace with the most current version of KDE 4.10.2

This is off of a fresh install of 3.5

I will be running root here, so if you haven't set up root

Code: Select all
sudo passwd

Follow the instructions

su

Enter your Unix password....

apt-get update

apt-get purge kubuntu-desktop

apt-get purge cinnamon

apt-get purge yarssr

apt-get remove update-manager

apt-get remove software-center

apt-get install geany

apt-get --yes purge unity unity-2d unity-2d-places unity-2d-panel unity-2d-spread

apt-get --yes purge unity-asset-pool unity-services unity-lens-* unity-scope-*

apt-get --yes purge liboverlay-scrollbar*

apt-get --yes purge appmenu-gtk appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-qt

apt-get --yes purge firefox-globalmenu thunderbird-globalmenu

apt-get --yes purge unity-2d-common unity-common

apt-get --yes purge libunity-misc4 libunity-core-5*

add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

apt-get update

apt-get install kde-full

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

reboot

This will move KDE to the more current and useful version, get rid of a majority of the update notices(There is a problem on this OS with that, no matter how many times you apt-get update, it still tells you need 4,789 updates or so, so goodbye update-manager, it really needs to leave Ultimate Edition entirely, I feel it has no place here), remove the software center, yarssr(trust me, unless you feel like deleting the icon every time you log in KDE), Cinnamon(I really feel it does not work, I have seen pictures, but I am skeptical, I think it is Mint) and get rid of Unity without affecting the Gnome Classic desktop, which personally, I think brings back the feel of the older Ultimate Editions, and no, that silly compiz taskbar will not pop-up(Unity).

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby boarder428 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Xanayoshi wrote:To be clear...you lost this?

That is correct that is what I lost!

I was also having issues with the kicker menu giving me a double image. I could not get it to show up on a screen shot so I had to capture it with my phone camera

Afterwards when trying to login to another DE the system is broken. Needless to say I had to reinstall again to fix!

I have to say, I really appreciate the time you have taken to try and help me out. I am not to keen on KDE righ now. It just may not be the DE for me. You are also right about 3.5, it did not work well for me either. I have other questions but they are probably not relevant to this topic. Also why do you need to use lightdm as login manager for KDE? What is wrong with the one that comes with 3.4?

This is the version I have installed

I am guessing that this is gnome?

Also what login manager is it using?
Still Noob!
Computer1: Nvidia 650i
Computer Name : corey-NF66
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz
Memory : 4048MB (640MB used)
Operating System1 : Ultimate Edition 3.4 LTS
Kernel : Linux 3.2.0-38-generic (x86_64)
Operating System2 Windows 7 (x86_84)
-Display-
Resolution : 1680x1050 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2

Computer2: Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook
Computer Name : corey-Aspire-5515
Processor : AMD Athlon(TheeMahn) Processor 2650e
Memory : 2824MB (1101MB used)
Operating System1 : Ultimate Edition 3.4 LTS
Kernel : Linux 3.2.0-38-generic (x86_64)
Operating System2 Linux Mint 14 32bit
Operating System3 Elementry Os 32 bit
Operating System4 Windows Xp 32 bit
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS690
boarder428
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:48 pm

boarder428 wrote:why do you need to use lightdm as login manager for KDE? What is wrong with the one that comes with 3.4?

It didn't matter.

Lightdm IS the one on Ulimate Edition 3.4

and 3.4 lite, 3.5

So I thought maybe that would make you not think of kdm and display managers.

When I did the 4.10.2 installs on Debian Siduction, and Ultimate Edition 3.5 the option didn't come up during install. This is a good change I think. ;)

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:19 am

boarder428 wrote:I am guessing that this is gnome?

Yes and NO

That is Gnome Classic

http://lifehacker.com/5762081/wtf-desktop-environments-gnome-kde-and-more-explained

Honestly, if I start typing about the gnome/unity/mate/cinnamon/classic/fallback monster you might end up much more confused.

That's one thing I like about KDE, but it is not so useful when I play with low-resource. It's not a bad time to be a Linux User. I do like Gnome 2 and I have no understanding why they would replace it with that horrible Gnome 3 setup. I see constant references to touchscreens, but honestly, my KDE setups are closer to my Android setups. Still, there are so many choices, and it is good to have variety.

I don't dislike 3.5 because it was broken so much but there was so much confusion. Part of this is because of Window management, if you are not aware of what goes with what, you will assume that it does not work. There were also many issues with the effects on 4.8.5 in general, as changing certain settings would slow your system to a halt, this was common throughout and then there is Debian running on older versions, stable, but they are limited in option. None of that applies with the backports so much because, lately, most of the settings work pretty well. 3.5 is still my favorite, especially right now. These things take time. It all depends on what you want to do.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:36 am

Off-Topic :
boarder428, I would recommend you try 3.4 lite, it is just the one environment and you could work with that rather easily, and get more acquainted with Linux. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have and the PM issue should be fixed. If you have any questions feel free to ask

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Kde and Other Desktop Environments