Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Unity-How to remove Unity(Discussion)

Unity-How to remove Unity(Discussion)

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 pm

I've had nothing but problems with Unity when using 3.5 and 3.4.

UltimateEdition3.5.png

ultimate34.png

So I removed it on 3.4. I can't vouch for what may happen on 3.5 but I hope to find out soon.

I don't personally have anything against Unity, I'm just not a big Amazon customer, and I.E. has made me wary of toolbars.

To remove Unity--

Go to Terminal

Go Root

Code: Select all
sudo -s

Code: Select all
apt-get --yes purge unity unity-2d unity-2d-places unity-2d-panel unity-2d-spread
apt-get --yes purge unity-asset-pool unity-services unity-lens-* unity-scope-*
 apt-get --yes purge liboverlay-scrollbar*
apt-get --yes purge appmenu-gtk appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-qt
apt-get --yes purge firefox-globalmenu thunderbird-globalmenu
apt-get --yes purge unity-2d-common unity-common
apt-get --yes purge libunity-misc4 libunity-core-5*

So when it comes to gnome3 or Gnome session...I really don't know. For some reason, whenever I am on an OS using Gnome3, I tend to logout within about 5 minutes and I have a headache. Gnome Classic is fine though on 3.4 and Gnome 3 is a blank screen and cursor.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Re: Unity-How to remove Unity

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Great work Xan! Have been thinking a lot about the joys of not having Unity! Of course was fortunate since I built this one, I never installed it! Will have to say even though I may lack a little of the luster of Compiz, I enjoy the reliability much more! Am not without errors, but any I have seen have been caused by my lack of knowledge. I am no genius(quite far from it!) and just have not learned all settings that need to be made for an OS to function flawlessly. I do have a little understanding that Unity is what I call a double edged sword. One side nice and sharp runs things great. Other side dull, waiting in the wings to mess things up! Is a hard one to do as you have done to remove it, and hope no ill effects come from it. Also am curious if you did loose compiz effects? Also in the process did you dump the Ubuntu desktop??? Also curious with Unity removed, does Cinnamon work without using --replace? You know me curious, doing my best to learn! Also love the caption and pic. Ole Clint continues to stay as awesome as first time he showed up on screen!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:16 am

I can't take credit, I found and used that on other Ubuntu based distributions when upgrade was necessary :D , but I did use it with a combination of other things to make my 3.4 more grounded and Cinnamon hasn't worked for me on 3.4 or 3.5 so I didn't see any reason to keep it. I mostly focused on Gnome Classic and KDE 4.10. Compiz works great. In the beginning there were hiccups switching window managers but now it flips no problem

nounity.png

nounity1.png

Settings can make or break these things. I was talking about my Mint on Oz, and that is kind of it's problem, nothing quite wants to work so I end up settling, that was fine before I started using Ultimate Edition, but it's kind of hard to just settle when I know it can work...I've seen it. Still, they win with Cinnamon!!

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby pam » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 am

be careful while removing anything gtk3 or gnome3 as most programs and dependencies depend on them.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for that insight Xan!!! Glad I was wrong about compiz loosing a lot! Cinnamon has some old settings for window sizes and measurements, seems is why there is so many hassles. Seems once it goes off gdm it goes bonkers and can not seem to handle itself properly! Yes maybe someone had listed how to do things, but you took the chance and tried it!!!! That is an awesome feat of bravery! Is hard at times to take chances, when you know could be down for hours or possibly a day if it fails! Know that part as take a little too many myself!!! For now til this semester is up, have to lay lower as time is short! When I get that degree am sure will be back to all the chances again! Love it when people here can benefit from things tried! Can never think of a better place to be than here, when it comes to computing!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:57 am

pam wrote:be careful while removing anything gtk3 or gnome3 as most programs and dependencies depend on them.

I wish I could completely remove all of Unity, gnome3. appmenu-gtk3 had to go though...with prejudice. Maybe the file should be moved, burned to cd and then burned just in case. Then put out with holy water. Unity on it's own still needs parts of Gnome3. Gnome Classic is just getting beat around. I really prefer my Ultimate Unity free. Now that I'm aware of Trinity(ewwwww, is that what KDE used to look like?) I can say I don't think i'm interested in that either.

It's been running strong for over 2 weeks on 3.4 but I am mostly on KDE 4.10. I should test on 3.5.

BBOSAK2143 wrote:Thanks for that insight Xan!!! Glad I was wrong about compiz loosing a lot! Cinnamon has some old settings for window sizes and measurements, seems is why there is so many hassles. Seems once it goes off gdm it goes bonkers and can not seem to handle itself properly! Yes maybe someone had listed how to do things, but you took the chance and tried it!!!! That is an awesome feat of bravery! Is hard at times to take chances, when you know could be down for hours or possibly a day if it fails! Know that part as take a little too many myself!!! For now til this semester is up, have to lay lower as time is short! When I get that degree am sure will be back to all the chances again! Love it when people here can benefit from things tried! Can never think of a better place to be than here, when it comes to computing!!!!

I got Cinnamon to work on Black Opal! A lot of that was your obsession getting it to work on 3.5 <BREW> . Also, that is why I removed it on Ultimate :?
I am betting Mate will be more important to Ultimate in future releases, as the 10.04 series was just about perfect and Unity is really really annoying with 3.4 and 3.5.
Oz has already foreseen the problem and are converting to Mint as we speak :lol:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:12 pm

As I have delved into my own system(Gnome-based 3.6) I can surely understand why the mate desktop would be more preferred!!! Guess I am quite naive to think Gnome could get it together with proficiency. Guess those days died with Gnome 2! Sure 98% of the time I boot up all is perfect, but we have the 2% that leaves me with incorrect looks when I open the home directory or icons simply do not appear on screen! Even though nemo is decent, it seems it still can not handle as well as was expected by its developers! I now see why most developers are shying from 3.6. Seems Gnome's developers either are not testing with any other software installed or not at all! Stability is still an issue and the older versions will dominate until this situation is rectified in full! If KDE was to cater more to themes and had the more spread out menu as its past releases had, I would be putting one of those together real quick!!!! As have said, I love the functionality of KDE, it all works and does it swiftly and efficiently. Is just that menu with going to the side just irks me. I loved the style such as with Netrunner was spread out just like I like it. If is condensed, I have a hard time figuring where I am at! Another problem am noticing on my OS is log out. When I log out to another desktop, no telling whether icons or looks will be right, same as boot except percentage is about 40/60 with the 60 being the wrong way!!!! I did join Gnome.org site but unfortunately was unable to figure out how to send any messages to them! Even their site is confusing and hard to deal with! Not a great way to go in my estimation. They just seem stuck in their own little world and oblivious to what has to work with them! Either Gnome needs to make their own distribution or start understanding other programs need to work with them or face extinction! I know it sounds harsh, but the user needs an OS with a desktop that is functional and reliant, not one that has to be futzed with every day! Same reason I do not use KDE is about the same reason I hardly use Cinnamon. I love a spread out menu, even Windoze no longer caters to that aspect! They started that way, then changed. Gnome kept it that way but lost the reliability!!! Even though I am not a developer, I fortunately gained insight through assembling a couple of these Gnome-based OS's in the past months since TheeMahn/Ultimate staff inspired me!!! I can now understand developers have way to many headaches and things to deal with let alone dealing with software that is wishy-washy!!!! Once again will state, here we are lucky as TheeMahn knows what works and what does not. He doe not just toss things together, he investigates and does adjustments and repairs when needed to get the OS running the best possible! Not an easy task at all!!!! I sure have learned that lesson well!!!!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:25 pm

BB ,did you check out Micro's OS?! Stability and speed in spades on disc! I don't think I'd hate it if Ultimate stopped being Ubuntu built. I realise how many problems and hate this would cause but........Unity... :lol: !!

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Will have to get it real soon! Might be a week though, unfortunately. Think I tipped my network Professor as was uploading my OS to Micro which was on another flash. Had the FileZila program on my OS on another flash that was uploading from another. Took about 45 minutes that way!!! Do not think he will appreciate it if I do that again in class!!! I also feel bad about it, but ran short on time with this apprenticeship that I have to do for this Project Capstone class!!!! So as I finished uploading the server shut down. Guess must be a time limit on it! Not sure have not sent files for so long, I can not remember when was the last time???? Out here in the sticks with no cable, and best connection has been this 3g which I get charged an arm and a leg for, is hard to think of doing that so much! Sure have school now, but have to watch as am there to learn. These Professors work their behinds off to train us well and do one awesome job at it! I just do not want them tipped at me either. Will probably get that dl from Micro when we go out on break a week from Monday, I believe? Very interested in it as he far exceeds my knowledge on all this. I am just blindly stabbing in the dark! Actually though, I need to if I am to think about coming up with good stuff! I think if someone showed me every step of the way on this building OS's, I would be totally useless at it! I would have missed so much information and ideas, would be terrible! Sure what I made is no Picasso, but it does work, does not bug out every hour and is dependable! Have been on many OS's that could not handle as much as it could, but as I say it still needs work and improvements! Of course some improvements I am talking about are needed for every OS in Linux. Only description I can think of is like this. We have this beautiful rebuilt 1968 Dodge Charger 426, Hemi 5 speed on the floor, perfect paint absolutely great car. What is missing???? Has no battery, keys or belts. Basic simple ingredients car needs to run and be successful. Same goes for Operating Systems. There are basic ingredients and as we become more advanced in our Linux experience, we forget those ingredients are missing!!!! Going to do a rant about it right now!!!! See, I feel very strongly about Linux as I always say and want to see it advance to its rightful place!!!!! Anyway will be looking forward to trying his, he is awesome, very knowledgeable as all these mods are!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pam » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:36 pm

PLEASE KEEP CONTENT OF POSTS RELEVANT TO TOPIC.

Multiple posts have already been created for ranting and raving. By all means carry on, over there.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-