Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Seeking best information on GTKRC

Seeking best information on GTKRC

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:37 am

I mostly center on theme creation within the Gnome desktop and have been working on them since this past July. Am here to say now on a very embarrassing note, that I found I have made some real tragic mistakes with most of my themes. While not paying attention to the gtkrc and attributes of gtk.widgets.css I have really blew it! Conflicting lines in these themes do not do the system good at all! For those like me that do not write every single line of code, please take heed on all this! There are some decent websites that contain some information about the gtkrc and advise to seek them out. I also deeply advise to check the attributes of the gtkrc against those of gtk.widgets.css. If those attributes do not match, you have to change them to match. If you do not, load time increases, from conflicts! As I created these themes, I always admitted I was no professional at it. I also asked people to let me know where I was going wrong. This did not happen, so past themes contain errors that I am working hard to fix at this time. Most people seemed to be more concerned about the overall coloring scheme which had nothing to do with the errors that exist. I tried to weed those with foolish comments out and pretty much begged for those that were wiser than myself to let me know where I am wrong! I am not ashamed to admit I make mistakes. I am also not afraid to spend time to correct those mistakes. My end game has always been for the user. I simply want to make themes that will not cause problems on their systems. I know my choice of coloring is not acceptable to everyone and have never expected it to be! I simply want to insure all those that do enjoy my choices of coloring can enjoy my themes without any hassle whatsoever. I invite all those with great knowledge on the gtkrc to lead me and others to the best advice possible. As have said before, themes are an issue on Gnome, since generally the information is lacking. Someway this information must be made more public, so those of us that enjoy theme creation can do our best possible work! Currently, Black Beauty II has been partially repaired(enough to not cause havoc) but is also in the process of being revamped as some actions are missing. Also have additions coming, so will be a while before is all straightened out. Til then, I will not upload anymore themes. For those that have downloaded Black Beauty I, II I apologize for any difficulties it has caused. Rest assured, I am working as hard as possible to get it all working to perfection!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Seeking best information on GTKRC

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:53 pm

https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials/GtkThemes

The problem is, if you are trying to use and theme the latest gnome, you need to hang with latest gnome peeps. I might go somewhere Gnome specific, or cutting edge like Arch where they will be way more on top of the extensions.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:57 am

Remember how I said that I took the gtkrc from Nissl theme from last year? Well, that was a big mistake as measurements do not correspond in gtk.widgets.css. I have corrected those errors and does run smoother/quicker. However, I want to insure within a shadow of a doubt I am correct and also have a few more features I would like to add. Presently, I added a little nicer look to the calendar, but would like the old functions of hover/active over date change, grid and larger calendar. At one point I had the calendar extended, but the numbers and headers were still the same size. Want all in proportion. At present the calendar contains 4 different text colors/two perfectly shaded header colors and probably is the nicest looking one for Gnome Flashback at present, but suppose I am a bit more greedy and want it nicer than is! In synaptic I have no horizontal scrollbar, even though all measurements and lines of code are present. All scrollbars work everywhere else. Of course all are not theme colors, which I want to rectify also. I found something to rectify the scrollbars, least I think, but depends on my gtkrc being on the money. Anyone that says theme creation is easy is either a total genius or has no clue! I never realized what I was getting into, but is something needs to be done or I never learn. Second option is something I refuse to accept! Not a quitter. I get angry, frustrated and everything under the sun, but quit, I don't. Some things may go on hold, but I do get back to them. Thanks for the link, will check it and let you know what happens, when it does. Here's a pic of the calendar at present. Never mind the Black Beauty 4 on the desktop is just a failed experiment for now. Thanks for info and any more greatly appreciated. Just want to give good stuff like I have received on Linux!
Attachments
Black_Beauty_IIICalendar.jpg
Black_Beauty_IIICalendar
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:22 pm

I guess this is another touchy subject that no one wants to cover, no one knows what to do or where to look for help? Guess is going south like the transparency aspects! Just no luck with these subjects so far! Found out any other gtkrc I add even if modified for some reason will not work. Tried this with Delorean gtkrc and another. Wish I knew enough to create my own, but so far am just too stupid to do so! Information is severely lacking about what needs to go into the gtkrc file. I am not trying to write the whole gnome program only a gtkrc file for a theme!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pam » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:08 am

gtkrc is gnome 2.x dependent.
Everything gnome 3 is style sheet dependent. Hardware drivers and software version upgrades play a pivotal role in correct functioning.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:40 pm

I was under that same impression, pam! That was until, I could see that measurements that were in the gtkrc that did not correspond to those in gtk.widgets.css seemed to mess things up. So, I took a look at several themes and found those measurements to be co-ordinated. So there are things in gtk2.0 that must not conflict with gtk3.0. Same also holds true for software settings. If you remember a while back, I talked about conflict between nemo and nautilus. The problem was file listed in gtk2.0 did not match with file in gtk3.0 so, once the one file was removed, presto no conflict and all works as should. Now my problem lies in what can be added to gtkrc. The link Xan posted, unfortunately is about all the information I seem to find. Now that kind of information would go in the parent directory which in laymen's term would be gnome desktop itself. I am looking for exactly what can be added to the gtkrc that the parent file can understand and will not conflict with. I am simply not intelligent enough at this point to actually write the entire Gnome Desktop. Personally, do not see that happening for quite some time with my background! I would even say I am quite a few months from writing an entire theme by hand. Presently, I can add lines and make adjustments. It really is a great place to start with programming as there are so many things to be learned! Happy I started in this area, but is not an easy one at all! So as I say basically what I am looking for is the exact information that can go into the gtkrc file. All other information is for the Gnome Desktop program that reads the gtkrc, which I have no intention on working with at present, way too many lines and just smart enough for it! Thanks will be greatly appreciated if someone can lead me to the exact information that only goes into the gtkrc.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:28 pm

13.10 will be out soon. I promise I will get on this when I can start with 14.04 beta.

Really with all this xmir/wayland stuff going on I find it somewhat difficult to start, as fixing problems may amount to very little with drastic changes going on behind the scenes. I don't really like Gnome enough outside of multi-de builds to run Gnome Only. Honestly I move back and forth from KDE to Unity, and every once in a while if I want to play with compiz I load up Gnome Fallback.

I do think Gnome 3 on Diamond11b KDE looks better than all other representations I have seen. I might be biased though. :lol:

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby pam » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:39 pm

gtkrc pulls in different config for gnome vs gtk.css.

"CSS
GNOME Shell uses CSS theming, which makes it easy to try out various UI changes or add new themes. The file that contains the GNOME Shell css is gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/data/theme/gnome-shell.css"

The line above is pulled from the link below:
https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Development
The location(absolute path) of the theme directory is now at /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css
The above is only valid for gnome-shell and it may not work with flashback or anything anything gnome-2.
Changes in gtkrc wont always reflect in gnome-shell. Although im unclear what your target platform is? You will have to edit gnome-shell.css. One is gtk 3, the other gtk 2.

This is what you might be looking for: http://askubuntu.com/questions/72600/ho ... ation-file

Xanayoshi wrote:13.10 will be out soon. I promise I will get on this when I can start with 14.04 beta.

Really with all this xmir/wayland stuff going on I find it somewhat difficult to start, as fixing problems may amount to very little with drastic changes going on behind the scenes. I don't really like Gnome enough outside of multi-de builds to run Gnome Only. Honestly I move back and forth from KDE to Unity, and every once in a while if I want to play with compiz I load up Gnome Fallback.

I do think Gnome 3 on Diamond11b KDE looks better than all other representations I have seen. I might be biased though. :lol:

Same here got only compiz running too option. ;)
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks pam is a good one for my own system, but as I like to make these themes, want to come up with something that will bypass that and let the user enjoy the same scrollbars they see in the theme itself. Lines in the gtkrc still baffle me here and there. Through the many themes I have downloaded I did come across one that is pretty nice. Ironic that the theme itself is awful, but I suppose can have one part that is good and seems that is it! Still, I wish I had a guideline of do's and don't for that gtkrc file as is a major part of any theme. As have stated before I enjoy some other themes out there as well as my own. Yes predominately, I use Black Beauty. Still, here and there I see some effects that I enjoy and would like to eventually incorporate into my own, plus change is good! Can never have enough themes to choose from! I also found while going through the one gtkrc from hellokitty(delorean themes) something from it blasted my system and think it may be something to do with adwaita. From information I have found adwaita theme engine should be installed standard. I rechecked seems to be there as any attempt to re-download comments is already there? Know for a fact murrine-engine works on the button as is my main theme engine at this time. Also narrowed it down to the inference of scrollbars in the gtkrc as spent some time. I like hellokitty's themes and am sure you recognize the name as a few of his were included with Ultimate 3.4, 3.5. He can write! I have also emailed him with what was going wrong. I get confused with all these things and always is best to seek advice from those that have much more experience! Always thanks for that!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:51 am

Hey!!!

We gotta get this straight!!

Since I used his work for DiamondllB KDE Edition

http://killhellokitty.deviantart.com/

It is "killhellokitty"

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Next

Return to Themes, wallpapers, logos etc.