Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Postby jmos » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:42 pm

I recently installed Ultimate Editon on a Toshiba Satellite laptop that has a resolution of 1280 x 800. When I login, the text is always bigger than it should be. The titlebar of my theme is also displayed larger than it should be but only occasionally, not all the time like the login window.

I have attached screenshots to illustrate what is going on. I do not know which file controls these settings. If you know, I would appreciate it if you shared your knowledge. Thanks a lot in advance.

jmos
Attachments
Screenshot.png
loginwindow.jpg
jmos
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Does anyone know how to fix this?

Postby cowboy » Thu May 01, 2008 1:27 am

Well first welcome to Ultimate Edition..have you installed the Restricted Drivers yet?..What are you running in the Lap..Nvidia or ATI...?
To set your resolution...System>Preference>Screen Resolution...
To me it looks like you are running 800x600..or less. :?:
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby jmos » Sun May 04, 2008 3:06 am

The laptop I have has an onboard video card. The following lines are from the output I get after issuing the lspci command:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03
)

I checked the screen resolution settings before I did anything else. The display is set to 1280 x 800. I have attached a screen shot my screen resolution preferences
As far as restricted drivers go, the only driver that shows up is the driver for my wireless connection. I attached a screen shot from the restricted drivers manager as well. The onboard video card is not a Nvidia or an ATI card but it is capable of running compiz with no complications.

My screen resolution is 1280 x 800 at all times except the rare occasion when the titlebar is displayed too large and during the login screen. The screenshots in the first post were resized using Gimp to be friendly for people with a lower screen resolution.

When the titlebar is displayed too large a reboot will resolve the issue but a logout and log back in does not fix anything.
The login window is alays displayed incorrectly however. This caused me to believe that the resolution here is controlled by a method other than setting the screen resolution preferences. I went to System>Administration>Login Window but I did not see anything there to change the resolution. After trying that, I opened the xml file of my gdm theme to see if I could find anything there. The following lines from the xml file contain the only things that I thought may be able to help.

<!-- username-label -->
−
<item type="label" id="pam-prompt">
<pos x="5" y="50%" width="100%" height="box" anchor="w"/>
<normal color="#ffffff" font="Bitstream Vera Sans Bold 10"/>
<stock type="username-label"/>
</item>
<!-- user-pw-entry -->
−
<item type="entry" id="user-pw-entry">
<pos x="5" y="50%" width="300" height="20" anchor="w"/>
<normal font="Bitstream Vera Sans 10"/>
</item>
</box>
</item>
−
<item type="rect">
<pos x="0" y="55" width="100%" height="60" anchor="nw"/>

The font for both is set to 10 which is not very big. I tried changing the font size to see if that would help but it did not fix the problem I am having.

The gdm theme I am using was created with the gdm maker found here:
http://www.forumubuntusoftware.info/vie ... 6e88#p3158

I do not know if this extra info will be useful, but it is all I could come up with.

jmos
Attachments
Screenshot-Restricted Drivers.png
screenshot_preferences.png
jmos
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby tranz » Sun May 04, 2008 5:48 pm

JMOS Welcome to the forum! :)
This caused me to believe that the resolution here is controlled by a method other than setting the screen resolution preferences.

I am not absolutely sure on this but I think the "controlled by another method" is your GDM settings. You say that you used GDM Maker to make a new theme (which by the way, from your screenshots, is a VERY ATTRACTIVE theme! :!: IMHO). Have you tried switching back to the 'original' theme to see if the issue clears up? I realize you would like to utilize the Theme you created but for troubleshooting purposes, this could narrow the culprit down to the GDM settings.
For a little further reading on GDM try this link http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/docs/2.18/gdm-info.html It contains about everything there is to know on the subject of GDM! Post back the results or what you have tried and I'm sure one of us can help!
tranz
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby jmos » Sun May 04, 2008 11:06 pm

The theme I made is the same as the original Ultimate theme. I just changed the colors of the dragon and the login box and then made it into a gdm theme with gdm maker. I am attaching a photo of the original gdm theme showing that the oversized text is present there as well. If there are no other settings to control this, it may just be an incompatibility with my laptop.

The resolution of my desktop computer is 1024 x 768 and both gdm themes work fine on it. The desktop never displays the titlebar incorrectly either.
Attachments
original-ultimate-gdm.JPG
jmos
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby tranz » Mon May 05, 2008 1:29 am

Alright...
Like I mentioned before, "I THINK" your problem is in GDM.. So I took a look and I believe your solution maybe found in gdm.conf...

The following advice is to be used at YOUR OWN RISK! I don't own your laptop, I don't know your computer, and I am not a Linux tech of any sort... Just a guy on the forum! ;)

Read the whole post before you start. (always a good idea when using this or any other forum)
Code: Select all
sudo gedit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf

Look for the following info:

[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/bin/X -br -audit 0
flexible=true
# Indicates that the X server should be started at a different process
# priority. Values can be any integer value accepted by the setpriority C
# library function (normally between -20 and 20) with 0 being the default. For
# highly interactive applications, -5 yields good responsiveness. The default
# value is 0 and the setpriority function is not called if the value is 0.

An easy way to do it is to go to the search>find on the top bar of your editor.

Once you have found server-standard
in the part that says command=/usr/bin/X-br -audit 0
Change this to read command=/usr/bin/X -br -audit 0 -dpi 96

your adding -dpi 96 to the end of the line.

just to be redundant the section should now look like this:

[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/bin/X -br -audit 0 -dpi 96
flexible=true
# Indicates that the X server should be started at a different process
# priority. Values can be any integer value accepted by the setpriority C
# library function (normally between -20 and 20) with 0 being the default. For
# highly interactive applications, -5 yields good responsiveness. The default
# value is 0 and the setpriority function is not called if the value is 0.

OH YEAH... It's dumb i know, but ya never know. Hit save and look at the bottom left of the editor and wait until it is done saving before closing it up! (It's dumb I know cause i've closed it before it was done saving! nearly lost everything... like I said I aint a lInux tech.. I learn from the expieriences! ;) )

restart your computer and hopefuly this will have done the trick....
tranz
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby jmos » Tue May 06, 2008 11:54 am

Thanks, that fixed my login screen. I really appreciate the help.
Attachments
fixed.jpg
jmos
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Good Job Tranz! <BREW>
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Return to Themes, wallpapers, logos etc.