Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition Themes with Splashy, Not Usplash

Ultimate Edition Themes with Splashy, Not Usplash

Postby archeryguru2000 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:35 pm

Is there any way I can install some Ultimate Edition themes without having to remove splashy as well as install usplash. I'm a big fan of splashy (have created quite a few splashes myself with gsplashy), and not so much of usplash.

Any suggestions,
~~archery~~
~~archery~~
archeryguru2000
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Re: Ultimate Edition Themes with Splashy, Not Usplash

Postby JOHNNYG » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:03 pm

archeryguru2000 wrote:Is there any way I can install some Ultimate Edition themes without having to remove splashy as well as install usplash. I'm a big fan of splashy (have created quite a few splashes myself with gsplashy), and not so much of usplash.

Any suggestions,
~~archery~~

Hello archery ! What Themes were you wanting ? I can put a .targz together for ya, so you can install just the themes. :D
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
2x512 Kingston DDR memory
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig
Maxtor Maxline 80 gig, Split for testing only !
Maxtor Diamondmax 500 gig, Storage
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
ATI 9600 series (RV350 AQ)graphics card
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby archeryguru2000 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:19 am

Sorry JohnnyG, I should've been more specific. What I was attempting to do was install a theme (or two or three...) from the repo. However,
Code: Select all
        $: sudo apt-get install ultimate-edition-themes
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  usplash usplash-theme-ubuntu
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  splashy splashy-themes
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  ultimate-edition-themes usplash usplash-theme-ubuntu
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 475MB of archives.
After this operation, 1156MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

Honestly, I prefer splashy over usplash and would not like to give that up.

And, as for which theme... I don't really have a definite preference. I would simply like to try each one (possibly modify them a bit) and see which one fits me.

Any suggestions? Am I just outta luck?
~~archery~~
archeryguru2000
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby JOHNNYG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:38 am

Ok Here is the deal you see, When you install any of TheeMahn's Themes via .deb or from the repo via sudo apt-get(which is still in .deb form)The .deb also has the usplash and GDM and forces installation of usplash as a dependency,The only way to install the Themes and not force the removal of "splashy" is with The Themes in .targz form, If you like I can pick out some of the Themes that are most popular, as well as the main release Themes and you can install them and do as you please ! :D
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive DOUBLE LAYER DRU-820A/Sony DRU-800A CD DVD±RW Dual DVD Recorder
Team Leader at
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Postby archeryguru2000 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:49 am

Ah ha! I completely see what my problem is now. I understand completely. I didn't realize there were usplash themes embeded within those .deb files. This makes sense as to why apt-get would want to force usplash on me.

By the way, you're very kind to offer a targz without a usplash theme. Since you are offering, would you be able to grab a theme (or two) for me. Actually, if I downloaded the .deb files myself (bare with me here), is there a way to extract everything from that .deb and then create a .tar.gz file from that... and be able to install it? After all, it's better to learn how to fish, than to rely on the fisherman.

Thanks again,
~~archery~~
archeryguru2000
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby JOHNNYG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Yes there is ! <BREW> And you are absolutely right ! <BREW> :D I should have suggested it from the start ! So here is how you fish !! :D install (if you don't have it already) "Ark" archiving manager from add and remove programs or synaptic or sudo apt-get. left click the .deb "open with" Ark Then open the "data".targz there you will find lots of goodies ! the themes wallpaper cursors and icon Ect. Extract the desired items, to where ever (home folder) then open your home folder or where ever you extracted the file to, You will see a "usr" folder,Open that,You will see a "share" folder your items are in there, Create a .targz for each individual file and then install ! Now your fish'n ! <BREW> :D If you should need any further assistance don't hesitate to ask ! :D ;)
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
Team Leader at
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Postby archeryguru2000 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Ok, after downloading "ultimate-edition-theme-2.2-auto.deb", I've extracted the file and then extracted both sub folders (control & data).

Actually, now that I've looked everything over, I believe I may be able to rewrite the script files in the control folder to do nothing to usplash (i.e. comment/remove those lines). I don't have time tonight (midterm exam :? ), but I think I'll be able to take a look at that tomorrow and maybe recreate a .deb file for my liking. My only hang-up would be that I'm a python programmer, not so much with the bash. But hey, ya gotta learn the tricks of the trade I suppose.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know if I need any more assistance.
~~archery~~
archeryguru2000
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby JOHNNYG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:32 pm

My fine sir! ;) if you are so equip t with such knowledge make it so ! <BREW> Most ppl with said issues have not the know how to achieve such an endeavor ! <BREW> I hope I have been of some help ! ;) Maybe YOU can teach us some thing's !!! KUDOS !!! <BREW> Great luck on the mid's !!! ;)
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
Team Leader at
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Postby archeryguru2000 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Ok. I might need some assistance. Commenting out the offending usplash lines was a no-brainer. Rebuilding the .deb file... apparently I'm not up to the task. I keep getting errors about some control file such as:

Code: Select all
dpkg-deb: failed to open package info file `ultimate-edition-theme-2.1/DEBIAN/control' for reading: No such file or directory

I'm not sure what is supposed to be on this file, so I'm not apt to just create something and hope for the best. :) Anyway, would anybody be able to help me get this going?

Thanks again,
~~archery~~
archeryguru2000
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby JOHNNYG » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:12 pm

I see you are hard at work ! are you trying to make a .deb with splashy in place of usplash !? if so my next question is why ? at this point both usplash and splashy are and or will be a thing of the past ! :( Plymouth is the future ! but that as it is, try installing the Debain folder from the original .deb and see if that is what it is looking for, or compare your Debian/control to the 2.1 Debian/control, just a thought, good luck my friend ! :) ;) TheeMahn would be the Guru of choice to answer this but alas he is knee deep in Ultimate Edition 2.6 and looking to bring a finished product to the table ! It might be a while before he could lend his hand !, but if you keep this thread fresh someone with more knowhow than I will surly be around to help !
JOHNNYG
Ultimate Eddiction<
Ultimate Edition STUDIO
Ultimate-E
Onyx 64
Pentium 4 processor
Booting 8 OS's, No MS !
Team Leader at
JOHNNYG
Site Admin

Next

Return to Themes, wallpapers, logos etc.