Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ethernet Disabled In Ultimate Edition 2.7 - Weird Issues, First Timer

Frequently Asked Questions

Ethernet Disabled In Ultimate Edition 2.7 - Weird Issues, First Timer

Postby Mastodonian » Tue May 28, 2013 2:53 am

Wall of text inc-

After finally fixing the problem I decided to make an account and hop on the forums to see if I could get some help. I know this is a problem with Ubuntu 10.04, which 2.7 was based on (Related: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469089 ). I fixed the issue by uninstalling the OS and then unplugging for 30 seconds.
I noticed that the 2.7 forums are rarely posted on, so I decided to post here since this problem began to translate into my Windows installation. I wanted to try 2.7 since I heard it was the best, but it ended messing up my Ethernet connection on my desktop. Since a lot happened, I'll start from the beginning.

Recently I've been looking around for Linux distributions, and after trying out Debian (It's frustrating to use for someone just now trying out Linux) I decided on a more user friendly distro, namely either Ultimate Edition or Mint. After checking out Ultimate Edition 2.7 I really liked the way it looked and how user friendly it was so I went ahead and downloaded the ISO and burned it onto a disk.

So I test out the demo on the CD and everything works out fine. I go ahead and install it on my alternate hard drive (I picked the most space option and it defaulted to my second hard drive). The install goes fine and I reboot into Ultimate Edition. I immediately begin to set up my dual monitors but then notice that it isn't' detecting my second monitor and that it is locked in a very low resolution, so I know that the nVidia drivers haven't been installed. So I start up the browser and the internet connection doesn't load. I check the network settings and it will not connect to the default even though it was checked "Connect Automatically". I begin to look up some fixes, but nothing works. I restart and nothing works, so I just uninstall the OS to try a re-install.

Upon booting up Boot Repair Disk it also can't connect to my internet. So I boot up Windows and I've lost my internet. The E1 light is shut off and after trying two different Ethernet cables it still doesn't work. Thankfully I found the aforementioned thread and was able to fix my internet (before doing so it worked fine on several different computers plugged in with the same Ethernet cables I used. It still didn't work on my desktop).

TL:DR, 2.7 messed up my Ethernet somehow. I love the look and functions of 2.7, more than the newer versions, and I'd really like to be able to use it as my main Linux OS, but it looks like I'll have to just go to Mint. 2 unless I can get this problem figured out. :?
Mastodonian
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Re: Ethernet Disabled In Ultimate Edition 2.7 - Weird Issues

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue May 28, 2013 10:55 am

I need to keep an eye out for the ethernet issue, as that really is an odd occurrence. I can not assist so much in the drivers department, but it may help to try a version that is still supported. This has come up elsewhere recently..10.04 is no longer supported

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/05/10/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx-desktop-end-of-life-reached-on-may-9-2013/

This translates roughly, to..you will have to adjust your sources, or upgrade(which then it really won't be Ultimate Edition at that point), either way, you won't really be taking advantage of using a Linux distribution, just trying to run one without being able to use apt-get. If you are new to Linux this is probably a very very bad idea.

You should try Ultimate Edition 3.4 lite, or 3.4, or maybe 3.5. I really would reccomend 3.4 lite, it has fewer programs, but only compared to an Ultimate Edition release, it is still more full featured than most Linux distributions available.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Mastodonian » Tue May 28, 2013 11:47 am

After checking out some of the other releases it looks like 3.4 lite is the way to go. I expected it would probably come down to just trying out a different version or just sticking with Mint. I hoped it would be a driver issue since I use Realtek drivers for my Ethernet and I've heard of a lot of issues stemming from them.
Mastodonian
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue May 28, 2013 12:25 pm

Mastodonian wrote:After checking out some of the other releases it looks like 3.4 lite is the way to go. I expected it would probably come down to just trying out a different version or just sticking with Mint. I hoped it would be a driver issue since I use Realtek drivers for my Ethernet and I've heard of a lot of issues stemming from them.

I won't lie..you may still have driver issues, there is someone here way way more qualified than I to assist you there, and check the forum to see if it has been addressed already. You may also look through here https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum/, since many Ultimate Edition issues have been addressed here as well.

Welcome to the Forums! btw :)

If you have any questions regarding 3.4 lite please do not hesitate to ask..in regards to drivers, it would be most helpful if you could list your hardware specifications in your signature, as that will certainly speed up any attempt at a solution.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby ryanvade » Tue May 28, 2013 8:51 pm

If windows is still not connecting:
CMD --> netsh int ip reset reset.log --> ENTER --> netsh winsock reset catalog --> ENTER
Reboot

What is your Ethernet card?

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
ryanvade

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Mastodonian » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:32 pm

It's a Realtek card. I can't label the specifics because I'm at work right now, but I know that Realtek cards have had some issues with Linux. It kind of seems like my system is completely incompatible with Ultimate Edition. :(
Mastodonian
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Could you please list your hardware specifications? If this is still 2.7, this isn't a great way to start learning Linux. This would be the same as if you installed Linux Mint 9. No support, and a trip to the past. No matter how you go about it, try installing something a little more current.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Mastodonian » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:31 pm

I did jump from 2.7 to 3.4 lite, but also had problems with that installation too. As for my hardware specifications I can do my best to list them from memory. I will check when I get home in a few hours and post it as my signature.

Nvidia GTX 580 GPU
Intel i7 processor, quad-core I believe
Hard Drive: Twin 1TB hard drives. I have Windows installed on my main and whatever Linux installation I'm using on my second.
Ethernet: Realtek, If I'm thinking of the right thing.
8 GB ram.
I have an Asus motherboard and BIOS, but I can't remember the specific one it is.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.
I will do a fresh install of 3.4 lite first thing when I get home. I'm sort of nervous to try 10.04 again :?
Mastodonian
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby ryanvade » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:01 pm

I think your issue is using 10.04 on your NEW machine. The kernel that 10.04 uses does NOT support your hardware well enough. Core class Intel processor support wasn't even added to the kernel until 3.6 (ie ubuntu 12.10). Definitely get a newer system with the newest kernel.

As for the networking, could you please post the output of
Code: Select all
lspci | grep -i eth
. This will tell us more about the network card. I must say that Realtek is supported very well on NEW kernels. I am running Ubuntu 13.04, with RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller and never had any issues. You just need a newer kernel. ;)

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
ryanvade

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Mastodonian » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:27 pm

ryanvade wrote:I think your issue is using 10.04 on your NEW machine. The kernel that 10.04 uses does NOT support your hardware well enough. Core class Intel processor support wasn't even added to the kernel until 3.6 (ie ubuntu 12.10). Definitely get a newer system with the newest kernel.

As for the networking, could you please post the output of
Code: Select all
lspci | grep -i eth
. This will tell us more about the network card. I must say that Realtek is supported very well on NEW kernels. I am running Ubuntu 13.04, with RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller and never had any issues. You just need a newer kernel. ;)

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

From the previous problems I've had which version would you guys suggest? Preferrably one with KDE.
Mastodonian
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition F.A.Q.